aberdeen-music

The Lonesome Crowded West vs. The Moon and Antartica

Edgar Graham

Two amazing albums by Modest Mouse. What has always annoyed about them though is how everyone seems to prefer The Moon and Antartica and it is often proclaimed to be "the perfect album". I just don't get it, I find the album drags at points and lacks the punch and variety of The Lonesome Crowded West.

As much as I'd love to launch in to a rant comparing the lyricism and deeper song meanings, I can't because I'm not clever enough. I know that at the time of writing each album the mood of the band was different. During TLCW they were on a high and this reflects in some songs through the sort of humorous, story-telling style. While during writing TM&A if I remember correctly the band had been plagued with the death of close friends and the lyrics have a darker, pessimistic feel - just brings me down a bit. (I might have made that up i'm just speaking from memory, and it's not very good(thanks drugs)).

On TLCW every song is a belter, there are so many head bobbin, nae! Head bouncing grooves and countless fat riffs that you just don't hear from any other band. It's without a doubt the best driving album ever.

Hope I made some sense. I'm just curious to see other people's opinions on the matter. Do it.

Guest Steven Dedalus

Honestly, I've never been too bothered by Modest Mouse. I find their albums really uneven, and uninspired. Maybe I'm just not listening to them hard enough.

I liked 'The Moon and Antartica' better,but only becuase it left a bit more of an impression on me, but I still found it uneven.

I guess there just a band I don't see the appeal of. They remind me of the Pixies, only with about 60% charm.

I'm not saying they actually sound like the Pixies, by the way, they just remind me of them.

I'm going with Lonesome Crowded West out of those two. But my personal favourite Modest Mouse album is Good News For People Who Love Bad News, I love pretty much every song on that album, and it's the one that got me into Modest Mouse in the first place.

Roll on Connect! Cannot fucking wait to see them!

Guest bluesxman
But my personal favourite Modest Mouse album is Good News For People Who Love Bad News, I love pretty much every song on that album, and it's the one that got me into Modest Mouse in the first place.

Ditto, after getting that I got Lonesome Crowded West and didn't like it at all. Haven't hear the other one.....