aberdeen-music

Bass Pedals (as in the keyboards you play with your foot)

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Anybody used these or have any experience/knowledge about what's available? Was just thinking how useful one would be for JJ and I's acoustic set later this month as we are without Adam while he is briefly in New York. However, a quick look on ebay only yielded two results, both to the tune of 170+. Surely there is a cheaper option than this? It's just a keyboard with big, foot shaped keys and one octave, what the fuck could justify this cost? Is there any tricks to getting a simular usable device out of something cheaper? (maybe like what tom hanks used in big?)

Guest DustyDeviada

I'm always amazed that church organ players are able to play the bass notes with their feet while playing the keys with both their hands, I would imagine that playing one of these things while playing guitar and singing would be a total nightmare, but go for it if you think you could do it.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
I'm always amazed that church organ players are able to play the bass notes with their feet while playing the keys with both their hands, I would imagine that playing one of these things while playing guitar and singing would be a total nightmare, but go for it if you think you could do it.

as a drummer, it would easily replace my kick drum in a 'stripped down' set. hi hat/cymbal, snare, and bass pedals! even better if i could get it hooked up to midi cos the samples could have a bass drum sound and a bass synth note.

Guest DustyDeviada
as a drummer, it would easily replace my kick drum in a 'stripped down' set. hi hat/cymbal, snare, and bass pedals! even better if i could get it hooked up to midi cos the samples could have a bass drum sound and a bass synth note.

Oh right, so you're not planning on playing full bass lines then?

I used to play in a wedding/dance band called The Alex Sutherland Band, and Alex Sutherland used to have one of these things which he would play bass lines on while playing the accordian, quite impressive really.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Oh right, so you're not planning on playing full bass lines then?

I used to play in a wedding/dance band called The Alex Sutherland Band, and Alex Sutherland used to have one of these things which he would play bass lines on while playing the accordian, quite impressive really.

well, i wasn't planning on playing any slap bass solos or anything, but I have enough co-ordination in my right foot to play rythms and moving my foot between the keys wouldn't be much more complicated as far as i can imagine?

Guest DustyDeviada

Hmm, dunno, playing rhythms is one thing but playing different notes with your feet while your hands are playing a separate beat would be pretty tricky I would imagine. Certainly possible for some people, but I doubt I could do it, unless I had loads of church organ lessons, and I can't say I've ever seen a drummer doing it. But there you go, break some new ground!