aberdeen-music

Demand for practise rooms?

HeinzHines

I think that it would be an ace idea, if you can find bands that you can trust and not just people who are like 'Aye al dae at min' then just screw the place over. So probably it would work if there was a collective of bands who all kind of new each other/had respect for each other.

On another vein I don't understand why people are talking about shore-porters like its not being run anymore. My flat shares a dividing wall with the shore-porters practise room and there are most definately bands playing there. Either that or people like to hang out with guitars/drumkits in abandoned storage facilities these days. I dunno maybe Aberdeen is that boring?!

cheers,

Jamie E2V

yeah i know what how your feeling, ive been in contra for about a year now, and although i love the music so much, i have fairly shelled out a fair bit to practice, especially because i live out in the country, i used to have to always get the bus into town. Contra are looking for a practice place, but im shortly moving down to perth (3weeks) so i dont know if finding a place right bang centre of aberdeen is best for us, at least at perth college theres free practice rooms :)

Tom

• 1 month later...

band practice studios

How high is the demand for a decent practise space in and near Aberdeen?

Would you go to somewhere near Aberdeen that had space for, for example, 4/5 rooms for resident bands (Ie: 100 a month, 3 days a week for you + storage and alternate Sundays shared with another band) a few more rooms, equipped with decent rigs for about 10 an hour. And maybe a live room capable of doing decent demos at about 100 for 4 tracks?

Something i have been toying with for an idea. Feedback and ideas would be nice.

New Band Practice rooms open at Transition Extreme at Aberdeen Beach next to the Patio Hotel, bottom of Urquhart Road etc - see the ARTICLES PAGE.

Yamaha drums, Fender FM 65 R lead amps and Fender Rumble Bass amps, 6 and 8 track desks and Mackie PA.

14 per hour non members - Transition members 11 per hour

TRANSITION EXTREME

Tel 01224 626279

• 2 weeks later...

How much demand would there be for a purpose built music facility in Aberdeen which had: A multi purpose events hall for live shows, fully equipped practice rooms, storage area for band equipment, the best quality studio in Aberdeen, online booking/special offers and offered various different instrument and performance tuition from established names in Aberdeen and wider a field, all under one roof..

Just an idea I am working on with a few experienced folks in Aberdeen and Glasgow. I just wanted to know if you all feel there is a market there for it? Our research shows that there is, particularly amongst younger bands/musicians. However, I feel that a top notch facility such as this could benefit musicians in the North East of all ages... Particularly if within 10-15 mins of City Centre (Just a first bus away....)

went to look at the transition ones today. they were ok. The amps they had there were pretty small looking 65w maybe for the guitars not sure about the bass. mackie pa as far as i was aware with 4 mic inputs. 2 shure sm58's with stands. plenty of sockets etc. cable for amps. not for mics. cymbals supplied. seemed fine for more 'get in a room and thrash about' kind of thing. probably not for the more serious bands. unless you basically had all your own gear and wanted a cheaper practice.

a down side is that the rooms are upstairs! but i do think there was a lift, so if your cabs etc have casters you should be fine.

its 14 an hour, but from what the guy in there was saying for a membership it costs 15 a year. for members it costs 11/hour for members. so as long as you go there for more than 5 hours its worth the fuss. plus you can always crack out your weapon of choice and go out for a board/wheelyboot/bike. how nostalgic.