aberdeen-music

Lee Hazlewood Dead

Larsen B

From Pitchfork:

Songwriter, producer, singer, and all-around musical iconoclast Lee Hazlewood died Saturday, August 4, in Henderson, Nevada, after a three-year battle with terminal renal cancer. He was 78.

Hazlewood was best known as a producer, songwriter, and sometimes duet partner of Nancy Sinatra. He wrote the smash "These Boots Are Made for Walkin'" and recorded two full albums with Sinatra, 1968's Nancy & Lee and 1972's Nancy & Lee Again. Their most famous collaboration, though, was the 1967 single "Some Velvet Morning", which reached #26 on Billboard pop chart but has had a lasting impact through scores of cover versions by a wide variety of artists, including Vanilla Fudge, Primal Scream & Kate Moss, Lydia Lunch, My Dying Bride, Entombed, Slowdive, and Hungarian jazz guitarist Gabor Szabo.

RIP

Guest Steven Dedalus

He was the source of my favourite review of all time.

I think it was in the NME, and it was for his album, "Poet, Fool, or Bum?", and this is the review in it's entirity:

Lee Hazelwood, "Poet, Fool, or Bum?"

Answer: Bum.

Guest Steven Dedalus
Yup, that was Charles Shaar Murray, never one to let the facts get in the way of a wisecrack. It's actually a really good album, God knows how many people have been put off by that review.

I actually liked the album as well, and mainly only checked it out because of the review! I guess I was young enough to be impressed and intrigued.

Later I managed to track down the Rowland S. Howard and Lydia Lunch version of "Some Velvet Morning" and my love of Lee was confirmed. I still love that recording of it. (i think it's better than the original, actually, but that's not Lee Hazelwood's fault)

Off the topic a bit, but another review in a similar style was the Happy Mondays album, "Yes Please!":

Happy Mondays, "Yes Please!"

No thanks.

He was the source of my favourite review of all time.

I think it was in the NME, and it was for his album, "Poet, Fool, or Bum?", and this is the review in it's entirity:

Lee Hazelwood, "Poet, Fool, or Bum?"

Answer: Bum.

Don't suppose you can remember the Billy Idol one can you?