aberdeen-music

Beginner piano

KimyReizeger

Looking for recommendations for relatively easy and satisfying piano pieces. I learned as a kid and have messed around for a while but now looking to possibly get lessons and take it seriously. Worked out Fur Elise yesterday - technique probably sucks; it's more about getting the notes just now.

Cheers.

You could get Anna Magdalena notebook, tuneful, simple bach. Possibly a good place to start if you are not starting from absolute scratch. Can you read music? Got to remember that sometimes you have to practice stuff that you don't really enjoy just to get techniques under your belt (got many bad memories of this as a child!). Been a while since I had lessons, will check out the back catelogue next time I'm back at my folks place.

I highly recomend practicing blues scales, start in C and move on when memorised. Learn the notes then let your mind wander, great technique for getting riffs if you are writing stuff on keys.

hope that is useful

Colin

You could get Anna Magdalena notebook, tuneful, simple bach. Possibly a good place to start if you are not starting from absolute scratch. Can you read music? Got to remember that sometimes you have to practice stuff that you don't really enjoy just to get techniques under your belt (got many bad memories of this as a child!). Been a while since I had lessons, will check out the back catelogue next time I'm back at my folks place.

I highly recomend practicing blues scales, start in C and move on when memorised. Learn the notes then let your mind wander, great technique for getting riffs if you are writing stuff on keys.

hope that is useful

Colin

Cheers. Been learning Bach's Prelude 1 in C Major yesterday and today. Music reading is just a bit sketchy and slow, one of the things I can improve without a teacher though. I'm considering getting lessons if I can get properly 'into' it on my own (besides, the amount of sitting around I've done this summer, I don't really have an excuse for not being a virtuoso by October!). Aphex Twin's Avril 14th is also a really enjoyable piece to play - there's plenty of clips on youtube if you haven't heard it.

Sounds like you're going down the right track with practice, it's great when you have both time and motivation! It won't take you long to get the music reading skills more fluent. I'll have a think about other books you could get.

Avril 14th is a nice song. If you can work things out by ear that is a great skill to have too.