aberdeen-music

Joe Strummer at Northern Hotel 1988

bloody hell, was that in 1988 ? for some reason we never managed to get tickets so entry to the gig was obtained by hoying over a wall, sneaking througha door wandering down some dimly lit corridors towards where the sound was coming from and then taking advantage of somebody elses misfortune as they were physically restrained as they tried to sneak in.

Fantastic night.

We drove down to Dundee the following day for an Aberdeen game and bumped into Joe in Jims Cafe or whatever it was called in those days, the one on the main road between Aberdeen and Dundee.

I am old enough, I was at that gig, Never remember the Strummer performance, boo!!, but I can recall Pink Death, My mum worked at the Gordon Street project where all those dudes hung out.

Regarding The Pink Death, I knew bassist Steve Hughes very well + vocalist Chris and drummer Crookie. Saw Crookie just the other day actually. Chris was involved with Aberdeen Anarchists, and like me, volunteered at radical bookstore Boomtown Books, though haven't ran in to him in some years. Became a priest I believe. And guitarist Psychedelic Jim? Folks will no doubt have come across him in either Retro Rebels or The Tunnels.

And talking about The Pink Death, did anyone else catch subsequent band Pagan Noise Generator? Saw 'em on just the one occasion - at a punk all-nighter at St K's (now The Lemon Tree) Dec. '88 with Mortal Terror, The Disturbed, Yan Tree, The Next World, Pete Pax, Buzzbomb, and more. This show was also arranged by Pavlov's Dogs zine man. Arranged shows for Political Asylum, and Oi Pollloi too, and whose zine featured Smart Pils and more. Sadly he became extremely disillusioned with the scene, frustrated and angry by what he saw, leaving for pastures new.