aberdeen-music

Foot & Mouth's back...

Rachie

..all I wanted was some further insight into all the 'problems' the 'agricultural community' is having 'these days'?

Agriculture's becoming less and less profitable, the price supermarkets are willing to pay for food and milk is constantly falling and becoming more and more competitive - it's driving farmers out of business every single day. Plus we've barely got over the BSE problems, just because it hasn't been in the news for 8 years doesn't mean it hasn't caused us major problems.

THAT'S what I'm talking about, now how about you back up your own statements? Coming from a farming family I'd quite like to know.

Anyone who thinks this doesn't affect Scotland is a fool. Livestock restrictions have been lifted to a degree, but only for transporting animals to abatoirs etc, you still can't take animals to market as far as I know, and that's going to put alot of farmers out of pocket. That and the EU have banned UK exports until we're Foot & Mouth free again which could take months to be confirmed.

Guest DustyDeviada

Yes, terrible tragedy for the farmers, they might have to sell one of their brand new Range Rovers if they don't get enough free money from the EU (that's you and me, people) to cover the shortfall. ;)

(Farmers' daughters' please note - the smilie indicates that the post is in fact in jest and you therefore aren't allowed to go mental and point out how "ignorant" I am.)