aberdeen-music

Elton John wants the internet shut down

Stripey

Guest bluesxman

Elton John should just stick to doing his married couple stuff with that grinning buffoon he married and realise that no-one cares what he thinks as his musical output these days is largely turning up at charity do's to perform Candle In The Wind as adapted for whatever dead tart he wants to align himself with for publicity.

A 'point' would generally be thought of as a universally agreed upon or proven 'truth'. An opinion is not necessarily a valid point.

Actually upon thinking about , no. You are as about as wrong as it is possible to be.Had i said as a "point" of fact you would then only be half right.

You see i can point out you are wrong. There you go.

So you suggesting that your point is not a 'point of fact' but one of 'opinion'? Who ever heard of that?

No you are. If i were to say that Elton is correct music was better in the seventies. It would be a matter of opinion as to whether you agreed with him. As i stated it would come down to a matter of taste . Therefore if you prefer music from the seventies then up to a "point" you would agree with him. However if you think today's bands are better then you disagree. My "point" is that if you think as you yourself wrote" a 'point' would generally be thought of as a universally agreed upon or proven 'truth'." An opinion is not necessarily a valid point. As shown that premise cannot be the case.

A "point" is not ,cannot be and never has been "thought of as a universally agreed upon or proven 'truth'" That would be a loose definition of the word fact.

So is Elton correct , no. You were correct when you said "Elton John in this scenario has wrongly interpreted the broadening out of the music currently listened to and simply 'available' as being the lost, searching souls of a population in need of great musical inspirations"

So i actually agree with your point! However your point is not necessarily an agreed or even a proven truth though is it? Or were you stating an opinion?

The Internet is changing the rules. Critics and music publications are feeling the pinch (my space and blogging allows you to hear an artist rather than a critics opinion of one) Downloading is rife and people like me who download and then buy the product are becoming a rare commodity.

It is a good thing because bands are able to reach out to a wide audience and the word of mouth scene is often a more trustworthy guide as opposed to record company hype. How the attitude of the "now "generation with the ability to download from peer to peer sites and the seemingly acceptable happiness of an inferior sound (mp 3) on their i-pod's will affect the industry in the long run remains to be seen.