aberdeen-music

Elton John wants the internet shut down

Stripey

Guest DustyDeviada
And in the past Sir Elt has opposed illegal downloading of his music from the net.

Really? I thought most musicians actively encouraged that sort of thing.

The internet has stopped people from going out and being with each other' date=' creating stuff.

Instead they sit at home and make their own records, which is sometimes OK but it doesnt bode well for long-term artistic vision." [/quote']

thats a massive generalisation as there are countless bands getting together as well as staying in and getting creative - both of which are nothing new.. plus, regardless of how it comes about .. the internet is always there as a publicity/marketing tool. How many Champagne parties has his amazon sales funded i wonder?

dont answer that

In the early Seventies there were at least ten albums released every week that were fantastic.

He was probably off his tits on all kinds of drugs during that period.

Also given the fact that he's in his 60's , it's no surprise that there aren't "10 albums released a week" that he thinks are fantastic.

At least the internet gives folks a chance to hear stuff by non-corporate bands doing interesting (and probably non commercial) work

Whereas in the 70s - and the absence of the internet - people were exposed to a lot less variety, resulting in fewer 'niches' and a more generalised mass taste. Elton John in this scenario has wrongly interpreted the broadening out of the music currently listened to and simply 'available' as being the lost, searching souls of a population in need of great musical inspirations. No doubt if the internet was destroyed and Jimi Hendrix resurrected we'd all drop to our knees and come together in the name of fantastic music at last found again..

I kind of agree...in the 60s & 70s there was plenty of variety, but only if you made the effort to look for it.

On the other hand, some more experimentation could be found in the mainstream. Ken Dodd and Syd Barret in the charts at the same time was cool. Now it's all pretty predictable (although I'm speaking from a position of ignorance here, as my time is long past).

*dies*

Guest Steven Dedalus
Are there ten albums released a week?

As a matter of fact, not counting re-issues, we used to put about 40 new albums on the shelves in One Up every week. There's more music being released than we're generally aware of, and I think it's reaching critical mass, which is why the internet is so good. I really feel that, as Alan Cynic says, we have the opportunity to find more and more music on the internet, and there will come a time fairly shortly when the record industry has to acknowledge whats going on, or completely die. Or something. Jeezus, I have a terrible hangover.