aberdeen-music

season expectations 2007/2008

delboy

thought this might be better in a seperate thread to the main one about the forthcoming season. the squads are just about together, pre season is just about done and dusted (or is indeed dusted in the case of rangers) so... whats your team and what do you expect out of the new season?

Cambridge United - expect a significant improvement on last seasons conference national debarcle, team to challenge for the play offs possibly even promotion but in reality a 'safe mid table position' (as they say on football manager) plus i'd really like a cup run this year, we havent had one in ages!

Partick Thistle - I'd be happy with staying in the first division to be quite honest: I think McCall has the right idea so far, but it could take quite a while to bed our squad in, and we're still a bit short of numbers. Anything better than the negative pile of piss we were playing under DC last year, and an improvement on our woeful home record would be good.

And yes, another cup run or two would be nice, preferably one that involves gubbing the OF/Sheep/Clyde......

Inverness Caley Thistle (as if you didn't know already!)

I'd say we'll be just above the relegation zone for the season, but alas just short of the top 6 again. Perhaps 7 or 8th position; which i'd accept with a good cup run and a few wins against Rangers, Celtic and/or Aberdeen. (We'll definitely beat Aberdeen if you get rid of last-minute wonder)

I think Niculae and Dean McDonald will show good signs this season, but perhaps will struggle for match fitness and sharpness early on. Liked what I saw of McDonald and Cowie (from Ross County). As long as we don't play McBain and Duncan too often, think we'll be fine.

This saturday will be a good indication of what to expect for us.

Also, this will be the season of Zander Sutherland. Tricky winger somewhat like a T'cheuchter Lionel Messi. He is a great young player and hopefully gets plenty of opportunities to show what he can do; starting this saturday against those manky Huns.

Newcastle United: the rest of the transfer window will be absolutely crucial for us, as we are currently at least 4 or 5 players short (add another if Dyer fucks off to West Ham, which, for the record, I hope he does). If Big Sam can get in a couple fullbacks, an experienced centre-back and a holding midfielder then there is no reason why a European spot isn't a realistc goal.

The squad at the moment is very, very thin though, especially in defence (when Steven Carr and Celestine Babayaro are your two first-choice fullbacks you know something is wrong). We could do with a younger defensive midfielder because Nicky Butt - as good as he was last season - hasn't got much left in the tank. Wingers, not an issue; with Duff, Solano, N'Zogbia and Milner there's a nice mix of youth and experience, and we're pretty tasty up front too.

A cup run would be ace, but I don't expect us to challenge for anything until after a couple of years of steady progress really.

I like what Big Sam's done so far though, he should get a knighthood for peddling Bramble alone :up:. He's everything Glenn Roeder isn't; a manager with an impeccable grasp on the fitness side of things and a man with an uncanny ability to get the best out of his players... hell, it even looks like Albert Luque could be useful for us next season.

For the first time in many years I'm optimistic about the future of my football team; I'm not sure if I like it, really...

Aberdeen:

It'll be a battle for third place with Hearts, I think. Hibs will fall short and Hearts will be better this season than last. Losing Anderson is a big one, but it's time for either Diamond or Considine to step up. Jeffrey de Visscher looks a good signing - gives us some attacking flair that was sorely missed last year. McNamara should help to sure things up and organise the back four. It's a big season for Michael Hart too - he was awesome last season...needs to consolidate that this year. If he does, there's no reason why he shouldn't be breaking into the Scotland squad. He's way better than that animal Alan Hutton.

So; expectations - third place in the SPL, at least semi-finals in both cups. And providing we get a favourable draw in the UEFA Cup first round, there's no reason why we couldn't reach the group stage. I'm not even joking. :]

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Dunfermline - I expect a season of purgatory now we've plunged down into the shitline of Division 1. We're favourites to go straight back up, which means we're there to be shot down. This league's going to be tighter than a mermaid's arsehole. Maybe a Cup scalp or two as well.

On the plus side, a full season of extreme programme collecting with the Diddy Cup (as long as we don't get Clyde away, non-issuing bastards) and the UEFA Cup added to the mix. Glasgow Collector Fair in October, can't wait!

Guest idol_wild

I think Adam summed up Aberdeen's realistic expectations. With the loss of Anderson and the lack of quality goalkeeper, I think Aberdeen will ship more goals this season. We just have to ensure we score a few more. I don't think Hearts will be much better than us, so it'll be interesting. What I find amusing is that Hearts fans still genuinely believe they have a right to be challenging for the title. They'll be at least 25 points behind Celtic. And Celtic will be second.

I'd love for Aberdeen to reach the group stages of the UEFA, but I'd possibly still prefer to go out at the UEFA first hurdle and reach the Scottish Cup Final. In fact, I'd give up third position for the Scottish Cup Final.