aberdeen-music

PA power ratings

Hugh_Jazz

Depends on how efficient the speakers are, size/shape of the room and how willing the guitarist is ready to be to turn down his stack. Do you reckon an average rock band has their own transit-style van? If not then the maximum loudness of the rig will be limited by how many speakers the band can carry in the back of their car(s).

Geez, you must have been that guy at our last gig. I wasn't that loud:up:

We use a tranist type van to cart our stuff about.

My advice would be to go for a 1K vocal rig, and only run the vocal through it, otherwise the average size rock band will be there all day setting it up. They'll need monitor too, but in-ear might be the easiest option. In the scenario it's the drums that'll suffer most depending on the material make up of the room. Just ensure that the guitarists and bassist have big powerful amp heads.

That's what we've got, but we sometimes put the other stuff through it (a pain to set up) as well. It seems to always be powerfull enough for the job.

Strange that you mention about the "guitarists and bassist have big powerful amp heads" neither the bass play or myself seem to get past 2-3 on our rigs. I my case it's a DSL50 c/w 4x12 cab. Although I sometimes use a AC30, even then it's normally around 4.

That's what we've got, but we sometimes put the other stuff through it (a pain to set up) as well. It seems to always be powerfull enough for the job.

Strange that you mention about the "guitarists and bassist have big powerful amp heads" neither the bass play or myself seem to get past 2-3 on our rigs. I my case it's a DSL50 c/w 4x12 cab. Although I sometimes use a AC30, even then it's normally around 4.

It just depends on where you are playing. Somewhere long and narrow with a low ceiling would probably require more volume since your driving everything from the backline. It also depends on whether you're hell bent on reaching the entire room - quite often not everything is there to see the band, and some people will want to escape the noise and go to the back for a quiet drink.

When Toxik played the Moorings in the summer of 2002, it was through a vocal rig and backline. The place was rammed out (there were about 20 people standing outside in the street because they couldn't get in) and the backline had to be turned up high to drive the music through 150 people crammed into a room approx 20m long and 4m wide!

A funny memory I have of that night is of drinks being passed along and money passed back through the crowd because nobody could move to get near the bar:)

I was told while training by a crusty old engineer you need 50 watts per body. I don't know what he based his advice on.

I've always found that if you can get your tops above head height and angled down at about 15 degrees you need less oomph and get greater coverage.