aberdeen-music

the real king louie + pearl jammed

myspace.com/iammadeoutofglue - bebo.com/pearl-jammin

The Real King Louie/The 742 are a Northeast Scotland four-piece, venturing and intertwining smooth soul, reggae sounds with a Scottish edge. Wey! they tell us. But what

are your influences, we gently enquire? Bob Marley, King Tubby, Horrace Andy, Sublime, Rx Bandits, Portishead, Massive Attack, Groove Armada, Bedouin Soundclash,

Queens of the Stoneage, Miles Davis and Paul Weller. Excellent! But, prey, what do you sound like? A ginger reggae head trying to teach some prog musicians how to groove.

Pearl jammin are a Pearl Jam tribute band based in Aberdeen. The band formed at the PJ auditions earlier this year at Cafe Drummond's. Since then we've been working hard to bring you the

next best thing to the original. The band line-up is as follows: Eddie Vedder - Murray Robertson, Matt Cameron - Stewart Jamieson, Jeff Ament - Rich Lewis, Mike Mcready - Alex Darke, Stone

Gossard - Mathew Watt. You can probably expect them to play two half hour sets, either side of The Real King Louie. But dont quote me on that one. But in any case, theyre very good I hear.

What exactly makes them The REAL King Louie? Surely Aberdeens own King Louie, having been King Louie for 10 years are the Real King Louie?

can't believe thats all anyone says about our band. its music you know, and like i said previously, once we sign a record deal we'll change the name. but until then you can keep worrying about the names of bands and i'll worry about the music

Tom

"can't believe thats all anyone says about our band" - Well if thats all anyone says about your band I suggest the chances of you getting signed are slim to none so it's perhaps best that you keep workin on "the music" while also studying for an alternative career - just in case.

"ow yeah and by the way just by myspace searching 'king louie' there are 21 bands in the world with that name" - which makes your claim to be the Real King Louie all the more ridiculous.

Despite Aberdeen's King Louie being my friends I think their music is pretty gash and any band that claims Horrace Andy and Portishead as influences would normally get my support but a pish name can tell you a lot about a band, as can photos of 6 string basses, illusions of granduer and a superiority complex over "the indie boys".

Now, here's something to help you on your journey - YouTube - Prince Jammy at the controls - clip 1

And here's one last message -

the name is makeshift and its just a short term thing, end of story. if you really must know, it is a prototype for my project im hoping to start down in perth called dubs anonymous

also i am a bass player for contra, not really a guitarist or frontman, and much more interested in working with other people rather than listening to my voice/guitar playing. and i personally dont like the 6 string thing either, but its about how you play though. Any good bass player can make a bass sound good, you know that. the rest of the musicians in rkl are all grade 8, however i am self taught and have never had a lesson, so the complex thing is a definate no go here especially how i write all the songs. suppose like you judged the 6 string impact on the sound, ( i used to be like that myself) i thought you were standing up for aberdeen's indie king louie. I just love kicking back and watching the jungle book i spose.

wasnt actually prepared for you to reply but aye cheers for the youtube clips, a personal favourite of mine is lee scratch perry getting interviewed by jools holland, i cant wait to go out to jamaica!

after all that stupid discussion, if you have time you should check out our songs and see what you think bearing that all in mind.

peace (white flag) haha

Tom

"can't believe thats all anyone says about our band" - Well if thats all anyone says about your band I suggest the chances of you getting signed are slim to none so it's perhaps best that you keep workin on "the music" while also studying for an alternative career - just in case.

"ow yeah and by the way just by myspace searching 'king louie' there are 21 bands in the world with that name" - which makes your claim to be the Real King Louie all the more ridiculous.

Despite Aberdeen's King Louie being my friends I think their music is pretty gash and any band that claims Horrace Andy and Portishead as influences would normally get my support but a pish name can tell you a lot about a band, as can photos of 6 string basses, illusions of granduer and a superiority complex over "the indie boys".

Now, here's something to help you on your journey - YouTube - Prince Jammy at the controls - clip 1

And here's one last message -