aberdeen-music

The Venue - Douglas Hotel

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember more gigs from the Fusion, Angelic Upstarts, Loop, Faith No More, Jesus Jones, got kicked out of the Wedding Present gig, having a puff :gringo:

A highlight for me was at the Station Hotel, seeing Spacemen 3

I thought Loop was at Fusion...but my brain's going. The Spaceman 3 one was cool...now you've got me trying to remember who else I saw at the Station Hotel (Jimmy Witherspoon comes to mind!).

Hopefully Twojoe will have a long list of Drakes gigs we can pore over in 20 years time (those of us who aren't pushing up the daisies, that is) :laughing:X-(

I remember enjoying the Billy Bragg at Fusion one, too (I should have a cassette of that one somewhere!). The first album wasn't long out,as I recall.

*have just found tape, and , apparently the wee upstairs room was called 'IMAGES' (Ritzy), or else the promoters were!*

** have just opened up tape box and found Billy's autograph! It was on 6th June 84** I'm assuming Free Tibet was taken there in his mammy's bosey? I was at the Orb one too...don't remember much apart from a big silver orb thing tbh

** have just opened up tape box and found Billy's autograph! It was on 6th June 84** I'm assuming Free Tibet was taken there in his mammy's bosey?

Nah i was a rough tough north sea tiger back then, hence the reason i missed JAMC, Divine, Spaceman 3 & The Cramps at the Capital. I think the last gig i had to sneak into was probably Comsat Angels 81-82 ??

Ok so any of you oldies remember the 4" Be 2" gig at the MH where some of the band (quite possibly Lydon's brother) got nicked at the end of the show..........I have a vague recollection of some sort of stage invasion as well but that could have been another time ?(

Oh yeah that was quite a night. The Bollock Brothers in emerald green suits & spitting image masks :up:

If i remember correctly at one point everybody in the hall was on stage. I do remember the 4"Be 2"s guitarist(Paul Young?) smashing a Les Paul over some poor buggers heid & thinking it was time to get off the stage.

Was the trouble started by some Glasgow punk band & their pals, who were filling in for the Angelic Upstarts(who cancelled due to their drummer getting stabbed the night before), ? or am i thinking of another night.....hmmm ?(

Ok so any of you oldies remember the 4" Be 2" gig at the MH where some of the band (quite possibly Lydon's brother) got nicked at the end of the show..........I have a vague recollection of some sort of stage invasion as well but that could have been another time ?(

Christ yeah. That rings a very old bell

I definitely remember PWEI playing the Venue as support to the Shop Assistants. As well as many of those noted so far, I also have good (if somewhat vague) memories of classy gigs there by the Scars, Alien Sex Fiend and Zodiac Mindwarp & The Love Reaction.

Re the JAMC gig there, once they all sat down on stage (prompting an even bigger crush at the front) I struggled over the crash barrier in an attempt just to get out and found myself directed to the DJ booth at the side of the stage where I watched the remainder of the show with a perfect view and in total comfort. Still have some decent polaroids somewhere about.

Not so with the Pixies gig though. Arrived slightly late due to pubbing it beforehand and spent the gig on the steps at the back of the dancefloor unable to see bugger all. Great gig all the same.

The Venue was tremendous. Just reading through this thread brings back happy memories. The first time The Monochrome Set played was possibly my favourite gig I went to there although I always enjoyed The Icicle Works when they played too. I saw many of the names already mentioned but I'll also add, off the top of my head, Hurrah, Tam White, Blues n Trouble, The Proclaimers, Richard Thompson.

The Venue was tremendous. Just reading through this thread brings back happy memories. The first time The Monochrome Set played was possibly my favourite gig I went to there although I always enjoyed The Icicle Works when they played too. I saw many of the names already mentioned but I'll also add, off the top of my head, Hurrah, Tam White, Blues n Trouble, The Proclaimers, Richard Thompson.

I remembering trying to speak to Hurrah after they played. Fucking aloof wankers.

I forgot about the Icicle Works (don't tell my Missus, we met at that gig...) Tremendous band. I think I'll go dig out an album or two...

I missed Richard Thompson there, but I did catch him at the Hotel Metro (!) and Fusion.

I missed Richard Thompson there, but I did catch him at the Hotel Metro (!) and Fusion.

I caught the Metro gig too. Almost made me give up the guitar. Was the Fusion gig or the Venue gig the one he did with Clive Gregson and Christine Collister or did they play alone? My memory is failing.

I also say a big YEAH to a Ruffles thread.

Nostalgia corner here I come. The great thing about the Venue was that, come Friday night, anyone who had a clue was there; metalheads (my category at the time), goths, psychobillies, indie kids, the lot, all pretty much getting along and having a grand time. I only wish it had lasted into the 90's and hosted a proper club night (dirty techno would have been great).

As for bands, Jeebus H on a bike; The Good, The Bad, and the Downright Bizarre, I saw The Pixies (for free on saturday, just used my Fri nite "ticket" stub at half 11, 'I just nipped oot for chips" did the trick), Sabbat, Vow Wow ( fuckin ding), Crazyhead!! and my memory now defeats me. Faith No More was a School night the first time, but saw them at Ritzys.

Aberdeen lost something that has never adequately been replaced when it closed, And now Edinburgh has suffered the same loss, albeit after a star-studded 90's (Pure mainly).

The bands I saw there were even more ridiculous if possible; Bang Tango! ( no, there really was a band called that), the Bulletboys!!, Crimson Glory!!! (now that was a mistake, we thought Sabbat were on), Fuckin Hell.

Viva the Venues

PS Lisa Dominique?? tell me Flash you must have gone for the music!#*? I remember her on ECT, No amount of titular action could make up for that dismal sound.

Faith No More was a School night the first time, but saw them at Ritzys.

For some reason I can actually recall that it was a Thursday. And I word a red jumper under my leather which my black t-shirted mates felt was totally uncool.

PS Lisa Dominique?? tell me Flash you must have gone for the music!#*? I remember her on ECT, No amount of titular action could make up for that dismal sound.

My mate GoGo fancied her. I remember that someone (perhaps Jock Bartram) through a pint of water onto her white t-shirt about 5 mins into the gig. Perhaps she paid him to do it :)

5273_thumb.jpg