aberdeen-music

The Venue - Douglas Hotel

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read through this thread. The venue was my favourite venue in Aberdeen. Took the present Mrs Koolsville there on our first date, some twenty odd years ago to see ace Glasgow rockabillies THE SHAKIN' PYRAMIDS.

Fave gig there has to be WEDDING PRESENT who, if recall correctly, were supported by a youthfull INSPIRAL CARPETS.

• 1 month later...
Thats the one I was at, I suppose it was alright considering how up their own arses they were, goddam Cylon fools.

They were actually alright to talk to as I spent sometime with them after the gig. I still fire up Tanscendance now and then. The singer at the time "Midnight" was a bit strange though. They are still going but the masks got ditched a while back and they have a different singer now.

Was a real blast from the past seeing Sabbat at Bloodstock in August, took me back 20 years and they have lost none of their intensity. Martin and Simon were a good crack afterwards though Andy didn't come out to play.

Just skimming over this thread - off the top of my head could add Nervous Choir, The Meteors, The Godfathers, The Prisoners, Fields of The Nephilim, The Fall ... some awful bands too like Fairground Attraction, Simply Red & Deacon Blue - all a bit hazy now.

I remember Benny tried to launch a music career, singing a song called 'Ready For Action' - was very amusing. I even saw the video which featured him singing on the stage at Ritzy's and walking down that graffiti'd tunnel that used to be in the railway station. Benny where are you?

boothill foottappers

I can't imagine Mrs Twojoe as a goth! (Unless she was the psychobilly & you were the goth?)?(

i remember the boothill foot tappers down by the beach somewhere, when spear of destiny playd the venue duncan hendry let me in for free and gave me a tenner to humph the gear in,irk brandon was a knob....#

but it was ace staggering round the venue checkin who was drunker than you were....

I saw a few things upstairs at the Metro....eg Shop Assistants, Richard Thompson.

Were not all 3 Blubbery Hellbellies big guys with massive sideburns?

we need more accordians.........Jona Lewie is the boy (as is Jeremy Barnes of AHAAHS!)

Which reminds me...there's a 'free reed' conference thingy coming up at the University. I probably won't go (despite once being asked to join Mrs Willis Gerrard's Accordian band!), but it'll probably be fun.

A weird night at the Venue was the TVP's 'Danless' one.....but I still enjoyed it.

• 1 year later...
Also remember a club upstairs at the Metro and downstairs in the Victoria.Both quite shortlived I think and both mid week?St k's for bands as well.Names are gone a long time ago!
I saw a few things upstairs at the Metro....eg Shop Assistants, Richard Thompson.

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead - but the club upstairs at the Metro was called 'The Flesh Exchange'.

Saw the Shop Assistants there too - and also went to see a double billed gig in 1985 - Meat Whiplash and Primal Scream. It was completely empty because The Cult were playing in Aberdeen the same night - but funny to remember in light of their subsequent success.