aberdeen-music

Racebannon???

unbroken

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. If the ten quid could talk it would say you're a tool.

What, because I don't have time for pointless posturing? After all, if they were that great, most of us would've in fact heard of them. But the fact that "most of us probably haven't heard them" says that (especially in light of how long they appear to have been on the go) they must be absolutely dreadful. Still, with 11 plays in the last six months on Last.fm, they'll be gaining worldwide fame in no-time!

Fair enough, if a band had just started a few months ago and were amazing, I could understand no-one having heard of them..but 10 years? Come on...they're blatantly the musicial equal of some really awful philosophy that only depressed, daylight-avoiding, obscure cult worshipping people would read :laughing:

The important question is though : do they use hair straighteners?

What, because I don't have time for pointless posturing? After all, if they were that great, most of us would've in fact heard of them. But the fact that "most of us probably haven't heard them" says that (especially in light of how long they appear to have been on the go) they must be absolutely dreadful. Still, with 11 plays in the last six months on Last.fm, they'll be gaining worldwide fame in no-time!

Fair enough, if a band had just started a few months ago and were amazing, I could understand no-one having heard of them..but 10 years? Come on...they're blatantly the musicial equal of some really awful philosophy that only depressed, daylight-avoiding, obscure cult worshipping people would read :laughing:

OK. I'll use your logic.

Despite your endless self-righteous blabbering, you've not yet become one of the great political figures or social commentators of our time. In fact, only a select few morons agree with you. By your logic, this means you're painfully, embarassingly wrong. I think I might be starting to see where you're coming from actually...

Gobshite.

No, the real question is: why do you ever bother trying to sound mildly intelligent?

I don't bother to try, I am intelligent. It's hard sometimes being smarter than everyone else, but you know...I get by.

OK. I'll use your logic.

Despite your endless self-righteous blabbering, you've not yet become one of the great political figures or social commentators of our time. In fact, only a select few morons agree with you. By your logic, this means you're painfully, embarassingly wrong. I think I might be starting to see where you're coming from actually...

Gobshite.

Ah, but generally speaking, why would people support something if they're getting branded "morons" by people that don't have the intellectual capacity to rationally refute a point? I mean, I know Comrade/Deputy Rector Innes encouraged us all not to use our brains and to be part of the system, but come on, there's no excuse for using abusive remarks to refute a point.

Let's face it - to the vast majority of people, the band are likely to be complete and utter shite. I'm sure it could be easily proved by standing in Belmont Street one Saturday and doing a poll of 100 people picked at random - but why bother when I know I'm right?

Incidentally, I haven't tried to become a great political leader or a great social commentator. If my work was published in a mainstream environment and people called it complete shite, then you would a point - but I haven't done that. Similarly so, Racebannon CD's are available through Amazon and Play - yet they don't have many plays on last.fm, therefore they must be shite.

so, what about your beloved X-Certs, by your reasoning then they are indeed "absolutely dreadful"????

didnt think so

Incidentally, I haven't tried to become a great political leader or a great social commentator. If my work was published in a mainstream environment and people called it complete shite, then you would a point - but I haven't done that. Similarly so, Racebannon CD's are available through Amazon and Play - yet they don't have many plays on last.fm, therefore they must be shite.

So everyone that listens to music uses last.fm then? :rolleyes:

Don't worry Cloud, you'll never become a great political leader or social commentator.

Seriously, who gives a shit if something is/isn't mainstream? Only pre-pubescent teenagers trying to "belong" to a genre usually. Music is music. You either like the band or you don't. How popular they are on last.fm, how many albums they sell or how many times they get played on the radio is completely irrelevant. If that is the kind of criteria you use to decide whether a band is "shite" or not then you don't like music in my opinion.

he disnae, even with his specs on and a theseosaurus by the key board he is still__

a plank.

WoodenPlank.jpg

You spelled thesaurus wrong, keyboard is one word not two and there was no need for an underscore at the end of the sentence. A colon would have been more appropriate and more ironic seen as though you sir, in my opinion, are a colon.

I await your tedious pseudo-comedic response with baited breath.

So everyone that listens to music uses last.fm then? :rolleyes:

Of course not, but it's used by a fairly wide range of people - I have some friends with very different music tastes that use it religiously, whereas I've never seen the appeal personally. But it is a pretty good measure - if something is unheard of on there despite widespread availability, then you know it's not regarded as any good - and you can make your own conclusions based on that.

Don't worry Cloud, you'll never become a great political leader or social commentator.

Thank fuck, politics is interesting to follow and I'd like to keep it that way, whereas social commentating is best kept for people that can provoke a response, see Richard Littlejohn or even Janet Street-Porter for examples there. Having said that, maybe I'd be quite good at social commentary given the responses to some posts here :)

Seriously, who gives a shit if something is/isn't mainstream? Only pre-pubescent teenagers trying to "belong" to a genre usually. Music is music. You either like the band or you don't. How popular they are on last.fm, how many albums they sell or how many times they get played on the radio is completely irrelevant. If that is the kind of criteria you use to decide whether a band is "shite" or not then you don't like music in my opinion.

(This could be the beginnings of a decent debate, actually)

I largely agree with you - it should be about the individual, not society.

I just have very little time for musical posturing where people try and seek out more and more obscure bands to salivate over when it's plainly obvious that they're obscure for a reason - a similar comparison can be made in the Harry Potter thread. When it's done in such a way of "you won't have heard of them", it just reeks of snobbery and arrogance - wouldn't it make much more sense to provide some links and let people make their own minds up as to the quality? Though it does tie in with a lot of the faux-macho aggression shown by fans of the genre, I guess.

On a tangent, I actually think that in any fashion, you get the elite who try and prove their worth by namedropping obscure things - thinking about it now, you get people who try and appear cool by wearing obscure/rare trainers, just as you get people who namedrop obscure bands and obscure books. It's interesting stuff from a psychological point of view, I'd love to know if there has actually been any research done into it - because you can see it in almost all aspects of life.