aberdeen-music

venues on the whisky trail

remington blastcap

anyone got any ideas/ contacts for pubs/clubs in the

nairn/ellon/elgin/kieth/huntly/dufftown/ish area?

just thought i'd try here before tearing through the phone book and spending an afternoon on the phone.

did ye find any? I know folk in Elgin that do gigs but they have been struggling to get venues. Some 2 year olds finger painting on a church hall gets a little torn and BOOM. No more venue... Gotta love the cheuchters

did ye find any? I know folk in Elgin that do gigs but they have been struggling to get venues. Some 2 year olds finger painting on a church hall gets a little torn and BOOM. No more venue... Gotta love the cheuchters

Asolutely nothing at the moment.

There's been plenty of peaks and troughs regarding interest in local music, but currently its rock bottom. Joe Public is unwilling to go see random bands play during the week, and its only rent-a-mate indie/cover bands playing the likes of lossie or hopeman at the weekend.

The only place I can think of is the Steamboat bar in Lossiemouth, which has a venue room. I've never seen it, but i'm aware that bands have played it before.

In my honest opinion though, its totally not worth playing Moray. You'll get 95% hassle, 5% fun.

What about Inverness then? I know it has The Works or whatever but it seems a little big for Unsigned folks making themselves known. There any promoters or "The Moorings Bar" equivalents up there?

Not sure who the promoters are for Hootenany's, but that might be a good shout.

I've always enjoyed Market Bar gigs, but be prepared that it is absolutely tiny (about 50 capacity). Brilliant wee venue and the barstaff and punters are usually great :up: If you phone there, ask for Shirley as i think she books the bands.

Not sure who the promoters are for Hootenany's, but that might be a good shout.

I've always enjoyed Market Bar gigs, but be prepared that it is absolutely tiny (about 50 capacity). Brilliant wee venue and the barstaff and punters are usually great :up: If you phone there, ask for Shirley as i think she books the bands.

Tiny i can deal with! Only thing is the travelling all the way up there and nae khunt turns up... Which is why i kinda prefer to work with promoters. Are those places fairly well known and established for gigs? Nae a fan of playing to Bar Staff! haha

Tiny i can deal with! Only thing is the travelling all the way up there and nae khunt turns up... Which is why i kinda prefer to work with promoters. Are those places fairly well known and established for gigs? Nae a fan of playing to Bar Staff! haha

Both are usually busy regardless.

Market Bar would normally pay 100 for 2 hours. Between 10pm and 12pm. Whether that is one band playing for 2hours, with a short break in between, or 2 bands playing 45/50mins each and splitting the money, its up to you.

Hootenany's used to pay the bands a similar fee as well.

Both venues when we've played there were free entry, and have a healthy amount of regulars who turn up no matter what the music. Heavy bands like Macrocosmica and Dead or American have played market bar, as have acoustic acts like Malcolm Middleton and Proclaimers.

Both are usually busy regardless.

Market Bar would normally pay 100 for 2 hours. Between 10pm and 12pm. Whether that is one band playing for 2hours, with a short break in between, or 2 bands playing 45/50mins each and splitting the money, its up to you.

Hootenany's used to pay the bands a similar fee as well.

Both venues when we've played there were free entry, and have a healthy amount of regulars who turn up no matter what the music. Heavy bands like Macrocosmica and Dead or American have played market bar, as have acoustic acts like Malcolm Middleton and Proclaimers.

Ah okay, that sounds an option then. I know ye mention "Heavy" bands but we are Death Metal dude... think 2hrs of that will be too much (Not that we could play for 2 hrs of course)? haha Oh, and do you know if any backline is there already? I know i could get this info by calling them of course but since i'm here etc i thought i'd ask.

Ah okay, that sounds an option then. I know ye mention "Heavy" bands but we are Death Metal dude... think 2hrs of that will be too much (Not that we could play for 2 hrs of course)? haha Oh, and do you know if any backline is there already? I know i could get this info by calling them of course but since i'm here etc i thought i'd ask.

Depends, there are more than enough death metal fans in Inverness to fill a room. You will have to use the wonder that is myspace to find them though... Possibly send some posters to the venue as well to put up? Thats what we've done in the past if we've played cities for the first time. Bit of flyering to your stereotypical looking metal fans in the afternoon is a good shout as well....

Market bar doesn't have any backline. Unless you got in touch with a band of similar type in that area; there are plenty out there. They could provide the backline easy enough i suppose.

Depends, there are more than enough death metal fans in Inverness to fill a room. You will have to use the wonder that is myspace to find them though... Possibly send some posters to the venue as well to put up? Thats what we've done in the past if we've played cities for the first time. Bit of flyering to your stereotypical looking metal fans in the afternoon is a good shout as well....

Market bar doesn't have any backline. Unless you got in touch with a band of similar type in that area; there are plenty out there. They could provide the backline easy enough i suppose.

yeah i have came across a fair few folk on myspace up that way. Finding them again is the problem! haha but i guess if they see a poster and remember our name.. boom. Bandwise i haven't came across any other than Birthmachine who Filthpact played with in Elgin. We have our own backline though just a PA we'd need to sort out. Jeeves has one but that's in Dufftown!! Nae sure if his delivery radius cover Inverness.

Cheers for the help though dude! Be cool to play Inverness again. Was about 15 years ago i last played there.

yeah i have came across a fair few folk on myspace up that way. Finding them again is the problem! haha but i guess if they see a poster and remember our name.. boom. Bandwise i haven't came across any other than Birthmachine who Filthpact played with in Elgin. We have our own backline though just a PA we'd need to sort out. Jeeves has one but that's in Dufftown!! Nae sure if his delivery radius cover Inverness.

Cheers for the help though dude! Be cool to play Inverness again. Was about 15 years ago i last played there.

By backline I meant they don't have drumkits/amps etc. But Hoot's has a pretty good PA system with decent monitors. Market Bar doesn't have monitors, only a Vocal mike. But sound is really in your face in there, so it sounds really good regardless of small PA

By backline I meant they don't have drumkits/amps etc. But Hoot's has a pretty good PA system with decent monitors. Market Bar doesn't have monitors, only a Vocal mike. But sound is really in your face in there, so it sounds really good regardless of small PA

Ah okay even better then. Although we have full backline we don't have means of our own to transport it. There are options but all of them would dispose of the money we would make from the gig. You know of any heavy local acts per chance? Sorry if i'm taking the piss with the bombardment of questions. I like to be prepared and sounds like ye know what you are talking about to me.

I don't know any that well i'm afraid. There is a invernesian heavy rock band called Stolen Order who could help, and double check bands in Alness and Dingwall as i'm sure we've played with some pretty heavy bands from those areas in the past...

All the best x

sorted. outwith the internet with a bit of phoning, i have six venues interested, all around the moray area. including the grouse inn situated in the cabrach.

i take it you find this interesting Bazz? want to do a spike / bonesaw mini tour?

There are six venues in Morayshire/Inverness?? o_O

2. So we are SPD's chaffeurs? haha Wondered why we got asked...

What about vans? you guys got access to one?

Our guitarist might be able to help you out on that one. We have a 6 seater Ford van with a large back area for gear. We've used it for tours for the last 2years, and to give you an idea of the size; it can easily fit full drum kit, 3 amps, 6 guitars/bass, pedal and lead cases, as well as bags of clothes etc.

He might be able to do your driving for you if it ties in with his work for a small fee of course

Failing that, he might be able to loan you the van if you have the relevant insurance. Its based in Elgin just now...

I'll PM you his number in case you want to take up this offer

Also: Donnie has done driving for us in the past, so might be up for doing the driving?? Not sure if you know him? Posts as MORDRED i think