aberdeen-music

frank butcher is dead

lepeep

Guest DustyDeviada
I feel amazed and saddened that the death of Frank butcher provokes such a response, but Ingmar Bergman's demise hardly warrants a mention. I know Eastenders is very depressing, but it's got nothing on Bergman.

Let's sit back and see what response Antonioni's death gets.

(Yes, Antonioni was the guy who ran the caff for a while in the late 80s, Eastenders fans.)

Guest Steven Dedalus

It must be the season for all this kind of thing. It's kind of weird that the two of them die at almost exactly the same time. It's almost as if they saw the state of the film industry and thought, "Well, I guess there's nothing left for me to do anymore. May as well die."

Almost compelled to dig out 'Blow Up' and give it a scan.

Probably won't, though.

Didn't he just recently finish filming a reality TV show in Gardenstown with Malcolm McLaren and the blonde one from Hearsay? Or did I just imagine that?

RIP Frank!

yeah he did, they waiting to make a decision as to whether they will actually show it or not

Guest bluesxman
It must be the season for all this kind of thing. It's kind of weird that the two of them die at almost exactly the same time. It's almost as if they saw the state of the film industry and thought, "Well, I guess there's nothing left for me to do anymore. May as well die."

Almost compelled to dig out 'Blow Up' and give it a scan.

Probably won't, though.

But Snatch is so much more entertaining than watching David Hemmings photograph top notch 60's birds for 2 hours.

Guest Steven Dedalus
But Snatch is so much more entertaining than watching David Hemmings photograph top notch 60's birds for 2 hours.

Although the bit at the end where the house blows up is pretty good.

Obviously the perfect movie would be a hybrid of the two.

Of course, by 'perfect', I mean 'rubbish'.

Guest bluesxman
Although the bit at the end where the house blows up is pretty good.

Obviously the perfect movie would be a hybrid of the two.

Of course, by 'perfect', I mean 'rubbish'.

Have you seen Dario Argento's 'Deep Red/Profondo Rosso' where David Hemmings witnesses a murder and plays detective? I urge you to do so if you haven't. It's much better than Blow Up, with a snazzy prog rock score from Goblin.

Guest Steven Dedalus

I think I actually know the soundtrack, but I've never seen the film. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it'd be worth seeing just to hear the soundtrack again.

Guest Steven Dedalus
Congratulations, you're a hypocrite.

Congratulations, you're a complete cob-nobbling buffoon, who wears pointy shoes and a little party hat.

I hate to harp on at you, but when you make a sweeping statement like that, it's always better if you qualify it in some manner, rather than just making a glib remark that could refer to any number of different things.

And, once again, if you're going to attempt to define it, I'm looking for a little more than replacing one word in a sentence with another similar word.

Guest Steven Dedalus
"cob-nobbling", ha. I don't know what it means, but it sounds damn good. :up:

The history of cob-nobbling is long and complex.

The roots of the term lie with the New York Times, if I remember correctly. When 'Nevermind' went to no1 in America, and grunge became the word on everyone's lips, the New York Times contacted the offices of Sub Pop to get the lowdown on this new musical development. However, rather than getting through to Bruce Pavitt or Jonathon Ponemann, they got through to someone who worked in their distribution department.

Seeing an opportunity for a jape, the girl they spoke to gave an entirely ficticous history of grunge. The highlight of the article was a selection of completely made up 'grunge slang terms' that young hipsters in Seattle would use. For me, the most memorable one was 'cob-nobbler', which refers to someone who is a loser.

Actually, here is a full article on the subject (which includes a few details that are different from my history, mainly becuase I couldn't remember it).

Grungegate

other brilliant terms include 'lame-stain', 'wack slacks', and 'swinging on the flippity-flop'.

Surely a cob nobbler is someone who nobbles cobs ?

and we all know a cob is a small bread bun.

so, are the semantics of "nobble" to steal? to eat? to create a bumpy surface? or perhaps an Americanism for "making noble"...

so, we could have a person who has the power bestowed upon them to raise a bun to elevated stature and importance in land ownership and stewardship...

no?

Guest Steven Dedalus
Surely a cob nobbler is someone who nobbles cobs ?

and we all know a cob is a small bread bun.

so, are the semantics of "nobble" to steal? to eat? to create a bumpy surface? or perhaps an Americanism for "making noble"...

so, we could have a person who has the power bestowed upon them to raise a bun to elevated stature and importance in land ownership and stewardship...

no?

I'm not sure. I'm too busy swinging on the flippity-flop to know.