aberdeen-music

ATTENTION BANDS! don't touch the Spirit Bar in Glasgow! You might get killed by a bam

The Ghost Of Fudge

Sooooo...

We arrived all keen to play our gig with Apes IQ, but the promoter hadn't told the barstaff there were bands playing and they were showing the Celtic match to a room of neds, someone turned up to collect their equipment from the previous night complaining some of it had been nicked, our Swedish chums Apes IQ were welcomed to Scotland with a playful headbutt, and a (previously amiable) drunken regular got our drummer Waz on the floor and tried to choke him to death for no reason whatsoever and then took a few swings at me when i pulled him off (i'm not really that hardcore, he was 63). He offered to shake hands a few minutes later, of course.

Avoid!

...On the plus side, Carlsberg is 1.30 a pint and the barstaff are nice enough.

Ladies and Gentleman......Welcome to Glasgow....! Where about in Glasgow is that?

near the Barras/13th note. it was quite a nice pub (bright, clean,etc), but the regular punters look like they wouldn't give a toss about punk rock bands... (cue stripey :) )

but there's nae point playing there if you're from up here. there was no promotion or anything.

Guest DustyDeviada
but there's nae point playing there if you're from up here. there was no promotion or anything.

Not true! It was mentioned in the News of the World gig guide.

Actually, that might have been the Edinburgh gig.

our Swedish chums Apes IQ were welcomed to Scotland with a playful headbutt, and a (previously amiable) drunken regular got our drummer Waz on the floor and tried to choke him to death for no reason whatsoever and then took a few swings at me when i pulled him off

Sounds to me like you just started your 'stage show' a little early, s'all...

Sooooo...

We arrived all keen to play our gig with Apes IQ, but the promoter hadn't told the barstaff there were bands playing and they were showing the Celtic match to a room of neds, someone turned up to collect their equipment from the previous night complaining some of it had been nicked, our Swedish chums Apes IQ were welcomed to Scotland with a playful headbutt, and a (previously amiable) drunken regular got our drummer Waz on the floor and tried to choke him to death for no reason whatsoever and then took a few swings at me when i pulled him off (i'm not really that hardcore, he was 63). He offered to shake hands a few minutes later, of course.

Avoid!

...On the plus side, Carlsberg is 1.30 a pint and the barstaff are nice enough.

hargh!

that sounds like a fudgenight!

but slightly more organised...

First off, I do respect the sharing of knowledge of hard pubs for bands not to play at - very considerate and applaudable.

And while not wanting to negate good advice given... my sole experience of the Spirit Bar was quite different.

March 2007. Saturday night in Tollcross, Glasgow, and A Gayboy Scene (funnily enough, carrying on the theme of 'gay' and 'bars' from the post above, haha!) were put on by our good friends Spitting Teeth Promotions (Fraser of UK Death Charge/Murderburgers' punk gigs). Second time we had played Gla; we heard the tales and the reputation of the bar, but the show had to go on, etc.

No problems towards us at all. And this is with a name like 'A Gayboy Scene'. While not exactly a friendly atmosphere, from that night I got the idea we could be called 'We Will Penetrate You Anally, Y'Know' and no one would have caused us any bother.

Although I do remember an old man getting punched in the face by (an actually sound, of sorts) youth and "DON'T TALK ABOUT RELIGION IN HERE YA BAM" being shouted. I was only out for a fag, not a lesson on Glesga bar ettiquette. And the police coming into the main bar (not the gig room) between bands.

Hard pub? Yes. Advice to avoid playing there? Good advice, perhaps. But we didn't get any hassle. (Although we did break up after that gig... but that was due to boredom with our own lame, putrid selves, not due to each getting glassed and deciding to call it a day.)

Regards.