aberdeen-music

Micro Amps

mAYHEM

Maybe he doesn't use overdrive at all.

It is easier to hear all your mistakes on a clean channel. What is a good idea to learn how to play cleanly before turning on overdrive - that's my opinion.

yes but adding distortion/od makes the guitar feedback more easily and increases handling noise etc therefor it's best to learn how to keep the distortion under control. pinch harmonics, legato is easier, hitting the strings harder has less effect (like compression basically), the guitar is just a lot different with distortion on it.

i thinks its unlikely he wouldn't ever use od at all.

yeah so thats why i think he should get an amp with an overdrive channel, or an od pedal to go with it. i think a distortion or fuzz would probably work the same for practice purposes

yes but adding distortion/od makes the guitar feedback more easily and increases handling noise etc therefor it's best to learn how to keep the distortion under control. pinch harmonics, legato is easier, hitting the strings harder has less effect (like compression basically), the guitar is just a lot different with distortion on it.

:popcorn: well yeah :-) I don't use much distortion so I don't have too much trouble handling the feedback. ''hitting the strings harder has less effect'' it has effect if it is a valve amp. You can get a clean sound and distorted depending how much power you put in hitting strings.

:popcorn: Boss DS-1 would be a great pedal - and you can take it anywhere with you! It's good for boosting valve amps too

Have you had a chance to play with the Pocket Pods yet? Looked like quite a smart wee bit of kit when I saw them in R&B the other day.

They're not bad actually. RRP is 79 on them aswell. Pretty good in that aspect.

To be honest though, if you've used one of the regular PODs (2.0, XT etc.) then you'll maybe/probably be a bit let down. They are like a watered down version based off of the POD 2.0 chip. Not bad but a bit limited in my opinion. :up:

i thinks its unlikely he wouldn't ever use od at all.

yeah so thats why i think he should get an amp with an overdrive channel, or an od pedal to go with it. i think a distortion or fuzz would probably work the same for practice purposes

You hadn't mentioned an overdrive or distortion pedal before now. I think he'd be better off getting to grips with playing first rather than messing around with effects. Overdrive and distortion is not necessary, it's a nice add on which he can expand to with an amp with a good clean tone and a good higher quality pedal rather than basic on-board effects processor which 9 times out of 10 leave a lot to be desired. Buying a pedal to use offers more flexibility long term as it can be used with more than one amp so if you upgrade your amp in the future for gigging you already have a start on pedal effects.

The micro-cube is very versatile as well. I'd suggest trying out a Micro-Cube and a Valve Junior (R&B have the Micro-Cube and Bruce Millers have the Valve Junior).