aberdeen-music

The Simpsons Movie

Noir

I saw it on Tuesday (possibly the only benefit of working in a cinema) and thought it was brilliant.

With something like a Simpsons movie, there are always going to be people saying it's a dissapointment because the Simpsons is such a massive phenomenon and they're expecting some kind of Lord of the Rings-esque epic but with The Simpsons characters.

If you go in just wanting an hour and a half of top-quality Simpsons you'll be happy. The plot for the film was good, the animation looked brilliant and it was very funny, I don't know what more people are expecting.

I saw it last night and enjoyed it, although my expectations were quite low. It was just like one of the more recent episodes but longer and slightly funnier. That said the two funniest moments (involving Ralph Wiggum and Profressor Frink) were out of the way during the opening credits. I would have liked less Homer and more Burns and Moe.

Guest Steven Dedalus
I saw it on Tuesday (possibly the only benefit of working in a cinema) and thought it was brilliant.

With something like a Simpsons movie, there are always going to be people saying it's a dissapointment because the Simpsons is such a massive phenomenon and they're expecting some kind of Lord of the Rings-esque epic but with The Simpsons characters.

If you go in just wanting an hour and a half of top-quality Simpsons you'll be happy. The plot for the film was good, the animation looked brilliant and it was very funny, I don't know what more people are expecting.

I guess some people are expecting the film to have some kind of cultural resonance - kind of like the TV show used to have back in the (g)olden days - rather than just some sort of reasonably entertaining animated film.

I'm guessing you're being facetious with the 'Lord of the Rings' comment, I'd have thought people just wanted a film that treated them with a bit of intelligence and meant something to them.

As opposed to the 'hilarty' of Homer singing the Spiderman theme-tune and replacing the word 'man' with 'pig'.

Guest DustyDeviada

I would be expecting something at least as good as South Park The Movie, ie absolutely brilliant, not just an extended episode and revitalising the tv show in the process so that it can be consistently one of the greatest things on TV for the next 6 or 7 years.

Is that too much to ask?

Guest Steven Dedalus
I would be expecting something at least as good as South Park The Movie, ie absolutely brilliant, not just an extended episode and revitalising the tv show in the process so that it can be consistently one of the greatest things on TV for the next 6 or 7 years.

Is that too much to ask?

That's exactly what I'm getting at, sir!!!

Seeing it tomorrow. I'm encouraged by the good newspaper reviews and good reports from people that have seen it. However a couple of people who have similar opinions on the simpsons as me left disappointed.

I would love for the film to be really great and of the quality of the old epsiodes (up to season 8) but realistically I think the best will be the equivalent of the better new episodes. The worst thing about the film is how much it has made me think about how much of a decline it's suffered.

I should be as excited about seeing this as Bart was about seeing the Itchy & Scratchy movie, but instead I'm just nervous.

I saw it last night and enjoyed it, although my expectations were quite low. It was just like one of the more recent episodes but longer and slightly funnier. That said the two funniest moments (involving Ralph Wiggum and Profressor Frink) were out of the way during the opening credits. I would have liked less Homer and more Burns and Moe.

Couldn't agree more.

Still enjoyed it though.

I enjoyed it, better than the standard of the tv show these days but still far behind the simpsons at it's best, which is really the best I was hoping for.

Still It did feel like and extended episode rather than a film. It could easily be reduced to as standard 22 minute episode.

The things that annoyed me most:

Colin the Irish boy. Was there any reason for him to be in it at all?

Swartzeneger being president. The joke would have been funnier if they had had Reiner Wolfcastle as president. Did they think that after almost 20 years some people might not have realised what that character was?

There needed to be more Mr. Burns

I wasn't really interested in the Bart / Flanders story line.

I enjoyed it, better than the standard of the tv show these days but still far behind the simpsons at it's best, which is really the best I was hoping for.

Still It did feel like and extended episode rather than a film. It could easily be reduced to as standard 22 minute episode.

The things that annoyed me most:

Colin the Irish boy. Was there any reason for him to be in it at all?

Swartzeneger being president. The joke would have been funnier if they had had Reiner Wolfcastle as president. Did they think that after almost 20 years some people might not have realised what that character was?

There needed to be more Mr. Burns

I wasn't really interested in the Bart / Flanders story line.

Like I said earlier, I enjoyed it (Ralph's "Entrance", being the highlight"), but...and please bear with me here...the way the Simpson family was portrayed was to me like watching another famous sit-com (e.g. Fool's And Horses) with the main characters being played by different actors. They seemed out of sorts, especially Bart, if you get my drift. Too touchy-feely.

:popcorn: awaits pot-kettle-black style backlash from the Harry Potter/Transformers geeks I gave a roasting to last week!

The Sun called it "the best comedy ever". No coincidence that Mr R. Murdoch owns both Fox and The Sun.

I had average expectations, the last 5 years has been very dire in terms of the quality of Simpsons episodes however the last season has been notably quite good(i think they brought back some of the old writers).

It was better than my expectations, but it wasn't as funny as a lot of people in the cinema made it out to be. Some of the best scenes were ruined by the trailers showing these scenes already.

Very disappointing, for me at least.

I didn't have high expectations but what i did expect just... wasn't there. Like someone said, South Park made a film that was hilarious, but this just feels like a very unnesseceraly long episode.

Although Spiderpig, thats comedy gold. Some people may not agree but they can go screw themselves because that little pig walking on the roof was the best moment in that film. Shame it was in the adverts, eh?

Guest Steven Dedalus

Although Spiderpig, thats comedy gold. Some people may not agree but they can go screw themselves because that little pig walking on the roof was the best moment in that film. Shame it was in the adverts, eh?

Dear me! Do you have any idea how damning that sounds? I'm really glad I truned down a free ticket.

Spiderpig, thats comedy gold. Some people may not agree but they can go screw themselves because that little pig walking on the roof was the best moment in that film. Shame it was in the adverts, eh?

No. No no no no no.

It was quite surreal sitting at the back of the cinema while the audience collectively wet itself laughing at something they'd seen about 50 times previously. Plus, I think Tod Flanders displayed more attitude than Bart.

I could write a big list of everything I hate about this film, but then that would suggest that it wasn't just 100% dog shit. Argh.

I thought it was ace. Not the best thing i've ever seen i my whole life ever, but ace nonetheless. It was never going to be a thinking piece, total sit down, turn off and look at the pretty colours doing funny things. Marge's Video to Homer was quite possibly the saddest thing i have ever seen on the big screen (after Date Movie, but that was my bad for not just garrotting myself instead of going to see it).

Theres alot of roasting going on here, i'm not being a cock because i liked it and no-one else did, but is is atall possible that going that everyone hasn't really enjoyed the more recent stuff because when the first 10 seasons were being shown, it was almost 10 years ago. Have people just grown out of the simpsons. I'm sure everyone here was probably laughing at very different things a decade ago?

Also, is it possible the introduction for far more extreme and blatant comedy Like Family Guy has just made the Simpsons seem dull in comparison?

I guess it's just odd to me that something that is generally so popular, is having such a reaction.