aberdeen-music

who killed off nu-metal?

but surely if bands like Korn, Disturbed, Rammstein, Linkin Park etc are still selling loads of albums and still around and touring then it cant be dead. smaller yes but not dead.

Disclaimer: I am in no way endorsing nu-metal.

all these bands aren't "really" "selling" albums anymore.....did korn not get dropped from their label epic (?) sometime after untouchables?

they hadn't really recovered after that other album.

in fact, most bands who have been dropped by their labels faded into music obscurity..umm, Silverchair anyone!? a bit off topic maybe...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 cents:

The music press is responsible IMO.

They (Kerrrang/Metal Hammer) used to praise bands like papa Roach, Limp Bizkit etc. Then all of suuden Nu-metal was shit and old-school was the thing to listen to.

Bands like Chimaira were praised for wearing 'Ride the lightening' T-shirts. Chimaira had a more Nu-Metal sound when they first came out, then quickly changed to sound heavier/more old school. At that point the media came up with the term 'New Wave of American Heavy Metal'. Lots of bands with a similar sound were becoming popular at that time, includng Killswitch Engage etc. etc. From there we got EMO!

There was kinda 2 waves of Nu Metal in my mind. The first was the heavier stuff like Korn, Slipknot, Deftones. Then Limp Bizkit got big and there was bands like Papa Roach and Crazy town gaining popularity.

I still rate the Deftones as an awesome band, System of a Down are funny and some slipknot stuff is pretty cool. I think Korn did some interesting/different things musically at the time. The second wave of stuff is just pop crap!!!

Crazy Town

not to be confused with the childrens TV program 'LAZY TOWN'

is something 'kill off' nu-metal? last time i cheaked it never died. I agree with what hairyscarymark said "..it ran it's course a bit and lost it's audience to other styles" ....yet i didnt 'move onto' any of the styles you stated....i only listen to the tap in my kitchen dripping.

Hate to break the news but Papa Roach & Linkin Park are still at it.

Nu Metal was ace. Chocolate Starfish / Hybrid Theory / Infest are timeless classics!

agreed!

though i think they verge more on rap-metal, i got all these out just today and stuck them on again for old time sakes. (substitute chocolate starfish with significant other though)

Guest Savant
I'm a huge Deftones fan who would never consider them "Nu - Metal" but I would generally consider Nu - Metal as poor Deftones wannabe bands when it all started. No one was as effortless and cool as Deftones. The whole "must have a turntablist" thing that all associated groups had to have was a Deftones thing as well. Was it just the lack of solos? Maybe. But it's not really that important, some groups that were / are considered Nu - Metal I really like some I think are the absolute scum of the earth. The whole "scene" at it's height was just really unappealing and just gave Kerrang! an excuse to pigeonhole bands without really giving it much thought.

Acey Trixx - This is what I mean. By 'Annoying Nu-Metal' I mean bands such as Limp Bizkit and Linkin park...Not early korn...

And it's a horrendus name - "Nu - Metal." It was enough to put you off any new band at the arse end of the nineties before you'd even heard them! Bag o' shite!

Could've been worse. NME kept referring to it as Sportz Metal at the time. Probably because they noticed it 1 year after the rock press, meaning they were desperate to appear relevent to it by using journalistic sleight of hand to look like they were there first. Twats.

Guest bluesxman

Wes Borland killed Nu-Metal by leaving Limp Bizkit so removing the thing that made them at times listenable, i.e. his guitar sound. Or maybe it was Fred Durst by account of him being a total bell end. Or maybe as others have said it never 'died' as such it just became more fashionable to grow long asymmetrical fringes and wear girls jeans than strangely shaped beards, baggy breeks and wallet chains down to your ankles.....

Wes Borland killed Nu-Metal by leaving Limp Bizkit so removing the thing that made them at times listenable, i.e. his guitar sound.

He was the only redeeming feature of that band, one of the few recent guitarists to do something interesting with the instrument. Shame it was in Limp Bizkit though...

Hate to break the news but Papa Roach & Linkin Park are still at it.

Nu Metal was ace. Chocolate Starfish / Hybrid Theory / Infest are timeless classics!

agreed, as was, 3 dollar bill yall, the first system album, and i also liked the first taproot album. Nu-metal was ace for a bit but the bands just wernt able to keep it going as popular as it was for a while.

Guest Savant

I tried listening to Hybrid Theory and it was the biggest pile of crap I've heard in...forever! Total substanceless r'n'b sounding 'metal'. Same with the Bizkit - The singles are pretty heavy but the album's full of crap rapping.

I also find that there is little to nu-metal (at least from what I've heard - I didn't investigate it too much) other than heavy guitars over 1/2 time beats and some guy shouting.

Same with the Bizkit - The singles are pretty heavy but the album's full of crap rapping.

I'll agree to an extent, 3 Dollar Bill$ still stands up as a decent album though. I'm always pleasantly surprised when it comes on my MP3 player. Even some of significant other has aged ok, but the rest is gash.

i quite like limp bizkit, because of wes borland, which has been pointed out already.

i also quite like hybrid theory, oddly catchy for some reason o_O

SOAD were/are great, another really inventive guitar player. maybe not nu-metal in everyones opinion, but i often heard them described as such and thats all 'nu-metal' is, a term used by journalists to lump a bunch of bands together

I wouldn't really call Incubus nu-metal. Although there is a significant change from fungus amongus to there other stuff, I wouldn't say it was nu-metal.

nu metal by association.

they were in the same scene as Korn, Deftones, Orgy, Rammstein and Limp Bizkit.

SCIENCE was a hybrid of metal, rap, jazz and a lot of other things...they always stayed more mainstream though id say...

Guest Savant

So what genre are Korn et al?

You need genre's to describe bands. I probably wouldn't go and see a band if you told me they were britpop or indie, but if you said they were metal then I'd consider it... So what if the media invented the name? They needed to, to describe the bands they're reporting on.