aberdeen-music

who killed off nu-metal?

Incubus

Linkin Park

Limp Bizkit

Papa Roach

P.O.D.

or Slipknot

just out of curiosity, what do you guys think?

or was it the "hardcore scene" like....uh...killswith engage??!?

or maybe alien cows from outer space??

(if you don't care please don't feel free to let us know - its the same as not replying)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Steven Dedalus

Papa Roach!!!!

My least favourite band of all time.

if they killed off nu-metal, I suppose I should be thankful to them, but I'm loath to give them any credence whatsoever.

In fact, I shall never mention them ever again.

Guest Steven Dedalus

Well, surely it's dead and that's all that matters.

Let's not think about who killed it, but just offer a silent prayer to the music Gods that it's gone.

Note the use of inverted commas around the word hardcore...bands who use words like "heaviosity" and strut their stuff on Scuzz day in day out were not responsible for the death of nu-metal. Neither was the actual hardcore scene itself, which probably didn't even notice nu-metal was going on.

I wasn't questioning what you'd said about their relationship with the "death" of nu-metal. That's why i only quoted you on one sentence. Which regardless of association with the topic, was still a sweeping generalization as to their merits or talent.

Guest Savant
The Deftones, because of there difference to all the other bands, only problem emo was next in the transition

Weren't Deftones waaaaaaaaaaaaay before the annoying Nu-Metal that we all know and hate? They're more akin to hardcore than Nu-Metal in my view.

Weren't Deftones waaaaaaaaaaaaay before the annoying Nu-Metal that we all know and hate? They're more akin to hardcore than Nu-Metal in my view.

according to wiki adreneline came out in 95 and and korn came out in 95 so id say that annoying nu-metal came first..and i definitly consider deftones nu-metal

I'm a huge Deftones fan who would never consider them "Nu - Metal" but I would generally consider Nu - Metal as poor Deftones wannabe bands when it all started. No one was as effortless and cool as Deftones. The whole "must have a turntablist" thing that all associated groups had to have was a Deftones thing as well. Was it just the lack of solos? Maybe. But it's not really that important, some groups that were / are considered Nu - Metal I really like some I think are the absolute scum of the earth. The whole "scene" at it's height was just really unappealing and just gave Kerrang! an excuse to pigeonhole bands without really giving it much thought.

I once heard a nerd say Nu - Metal was a band that didn't have guitar solos so I said wow, Kraftwerk are Nu - Metal, then. He didnae get it. Never mind - that was years ago now. how time flies.

And it's a horrendus name - "Nu - Metal." It was enough to put you off any new band at the arse end of the nineties before you'd even heard them! Bag o' shite!

Anyway, there's "nae such thing as Nu - Metal" isn't there, Mr. Commander?! Roar!

I just said the word Nu - Metal for the seventh time -

If I say Nu - Metal two more times That's nine "Nu - Metals" in this fucked up rhyme.

Oh dear. Sums it up, really. Ta ta for a bit. Schmickles.

I think maybe it ran it's course a bit and lost it's audience to other styles.

The people who liked catchy stuff with overdriven guitars and loud drums listened to emo instead. Especially if their mates did.

The people who just liked songs they heard on radio (which had previously sometimes been nu metal) listen to indie/brit pop/punk type stuff.

The real metal fans went onto to listen to real metal or listened to it all along.

and the people who liked things to be heavy rather than metal listen to hardcore punk/metalcore/grindcore.