aberdeen-music

Magazine - Feed The Enemy

Guest Steven Dedalus

I remember years ago getting the little punk rock compilation when I was a kid. 'Shot By Both Sides' was on it, and I was just grabbed from the first note.

If you can still get the little three cd box set (Maybe it's Right to be Nervous Now), it's well worth trracking down (and it's quite cheap).

And the beauty of that box set is that you listen to it, enjoy it and think you know Magazine. Then you stick on one of their actual albums, and are amazed.

Favourite tune: Give Me Everything

Guest Steven Dedalus
Barry Adamson is a god on Bass. I had loads of their records, the album PLAY is my favourte

In a weird way, I sort of got into Magazine through Barry Adamson. I loved all the old Nick Cave records, and Adamson's bass-work on the first three is amazing. When I discovered he'd also played in Magazine, I went running to get as much as possible.

fine fine band - the correct use of soap remains one of my fave albums of all time.

I gotta say that I found The Correct Use Of Soap somewhat disappointing. Thought it quite flawed, containing few of the qualities of their previous releases, though track Song From Under The Floorboards is a definite standout. But yes, fine fine band.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bluesxman

I've always been most partial to 'Real Life', it's the album of theirs that I find myself listening to the most. The prescence of 'Shot By Both Sides' probably helps as it's by far their best moment for me. It took me a while to track down 'The Correct Use Of Soap' as it wasn't widely available for a long time, but when I eventually tracked it down I found it quite disappointing given the positive write ups I'd seen on it - it's not a bad album, just not as great as I expected. 'Secondhand Daylight' is probably my next favourite.

I remember years ago getting the little punk rock compilation when I was a kid. 'Shot By Both Sides' was on it, and I was just grabbed from the first note.

A very influential (and good obviously) song, listen to it then listen to Just by Radiohead and notice where Johnny Greenwood got his guitar parts from...

I like them...esp. 'The light pours out of me'.

And if anyone hasn't already checked out said track, then please do so here:

Brilliant. You can find a buncha other quite awesome tracks on YouTube too.

In Howard Devoto, John McGeoch, Dave Formula, and Barry Adamson, they had surely one of the finest group of performers ever to grace a stage. John is much missed.

Secondhand Daylight has remained in my top ten albums list since the day it was released. Even now it sends shivers up my spine to listen to it. It was one of the first albums that really made me sit up and think "Yes, this is the kind of music I've been waiting for".

QUOTE=mmd040;615926]Secondhand Daylight has remained in my top ten albums list since the day it was released. Even now it sends shivers up my spine to listen to it. It was one of the first albums that really made me sit up and think "Yes, this is the kind of music I've been waiting for".