aberdeen-music

harry potter *may contain spoilers*

-matthEw-

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm lookin forward to it because I really want to know what happens, but I doubt it'll be as good as the first 4.

The last two have been a real let-down :( It's been like a chore to read, and I only continued reading them because I wanted to know what happened, not because they were written really well :(

Hope this one's better!!

like, you are a Goddess to me 'cos, like, you type like you speak, like, y'know what I mean.

I'm looking forward to reading it but I'm not paying the 17 its going to cost. I'll wait a couple of weeks until Asda/Tesco has it for a tenner and get it then.

Pete

inthehills

Asda's selling them for 8 quid from the offset.

I'm lookin forward to it because I really want to know what happens, but I doubt it'll be as good as the first 4.

The last two have been a real let-down :( It's been like a chore to read, and I only continued reading them because I wanted to know what happened, not because they were written really well :(

Hope this one's better!!

Are you old enough to be using this site?

Are you old enough to be using this site?

You tell her Stripey. You tell her and maybe one day she'll be grown up enough to whine about the horrendous affront to democratic principle of her ban from an internet messageboard like all the other inellectual giants.

Teach me?

Also got mine this morning but chose the extra time in bed over starting it at 8am, hence I only finished it about 10 minutes ago.

Frankly I don't think she could have done a better job of it, I felt it did the entire series justice. As for the last couple of books being a chore to read are you kidding me? They've been a million times better than the first two!

I thought the ending was just perfect, although working out which kids belonged to who was a bit confusing, especially since my eyes were crossing after 7 or so hours solid reading.

It was weird reading it because every plot line I had guessed after the end of the last book was there in this one. I didn't know whether to be smug or slightly freaked.

I enjoyed it, I initially thought the ending seemed like a cop out, a "best of both worlds" scenario, but I soon got over that and saluted it for the fine finale to a fine series of books.

One thing which angered me intensely however.

The queue outside Waterstones was full of young kids, many of them dressed up in cute fancy dress.

For them to have to endure the abuse thrown at the crowds by drunken idiots (I won't say neds cos there were plenty folk who would not have looked out of place on the Moshulu dancefloor also engaged) was disgusting and made me feel on several occasions like committing a violent offence.

I am more than a little certain that some kids were probably very upset by it, and I hope whoever those people were feel big and proud of themselves.

If you think harry potter isn't a kids book you've got problems.

Thing is, the series has been on the go since a lot of the more mature readers were just 10 or so. The writing style and characters, while not exactly rich, have a certain comforting nostalgic value to them... sort of like gran's mince and tatties in book form.

If you think harry potter isn't a kids book you've got problems.

Have you read the books Stripey? Or do you consider reading beneath you?

Dave hit the nail on the head, ok so when it started out with the Philosopher's Stone it was aimed for children, but unless you're blind/stupid/have never seen the news you'll have noticed that millions of people enjoy them, that says something. The books have brought many kids back to reading, which can certainly not be a bad thing.

Try reading them, it might bring a bit of joy into your otherwise miserable existence.