aberdeen-music

Mid 90's emo, anyone?

Panda Strong

Ok, here's the deal. I'm a drummer, my friend is a guitarist. We have a liking, and passion for, among other things, mid 90's emo. We both attend the University of Aberdeen, and will be returning in September, blah blah blah. We're searching for a bassist, and perhaps someone to chap the mic (although, i like to think of bands as democracies, in which we all take part), to bash out a few tunes, and see how things travel. Hopefully get around to playing a few, gigs, or something. I'm really not sure.

Sound wise, we're looking for something between Native Nod, Kolya etc, and more recently, the sounds of Sinaloa.

We basically want to go for that tight, but messy, mathy, at times Shellac and Slint style (i know, that sounds terrible, but hey) emo sound, ya dig?

Vocal wise, we're not really looking for someone who can growl like they're vomming up their breakfast, but more a strained 'Chris Leo' style....thing, i'm sure you'll get the jist of this chat by referring to the above links.

Other than that, we like pretty much anything. A lot of early hardcore/emo like Heroin, Boys Life, Antioch Arrow, Indian Summer, Moss Icon, Still Life etc, but we also dig everything from Autechre, to Max Richter, to Grails, to Alva Noto, to Hella, to Tim Hecker, to Sunn O))), to Damezumari, to jesu, to The Red Scare, to Mark Kozelek, to Rachel's, to William Basinski, blah blah, Im sure you get the idea.

Anyway, I thought it would be worth throwing this up here.

Get in touch if anyone is interested in doing anything.

i would be well into this if i lived in abdn.

i have a similar sounding project on the go down here, similar to the van pelt, early appleseed cast, braid, cap n jazz, sinaloa, early stapleton.

are you the guy who posts on collective?

Oh, that's a shame. Good luck with the Dundee project, though. I look forward to hearing it.

I've been visiting Czine for a while, but i don't have an account. I just like to go there for the OOP upload thread, haha.

How old are you guys out of interest? I might be interested.

I am 19, my friend is 20, i think. Although, i'm so terrible at remembering birthdays, it's hilarious.

What kind of stuff are you into?

I am 19, my friend is 20, i think. Although, i'm so terrible at remembering birthdays, it's hilarious.

I'm not going to lie, i haven't heard of all the bands you mentioned, but i like Braid, Sunny Day Real Estate, Mineral, Indian Summer, Far, Stapleton etc.

I'm 26 (nearly 27) btw.

Oh, that's a shame. Good luck with the Dundee project, though. I look forward to hearing it.

I've been visiting Czine for a while, but i don't have an account. I just like to go there for the OOP upload thread, haha.

ahhhh. i thought you were that illusive elvrum chap from aberdeen

we have some songs that pretty much need to be stuck together, then we will be out gigging it pretty quickly. it will be rough around the edges and give me a chance to put on my best strained vocal chord and make guitar cry impressions :D

if you are still having problems finding someone and you have some tunes together, might be into travelling up.

Guest idol_wild

Us Kartta boys need a drummer.

www.myspace.com/karttamusic

We've some tunes up. We're not directly influenced by mid-90s emo as such, but we have a strong hankering for post-rock, slowcore stuff (Bedhead, Red House Painters, Arab Strap), aswell as the likes of Shellac and Sonic Youth. The most emo I get is pretty much anything the Kinsellas have done (Cap'n Jazz, Joan Of Arc, Ghosts And Vodka, etc).

In saying that, we basically just do very loud, atmospheric, and epic pop stuff. With a slice of lemon.

• 2 weeks later...
Us Kartta boys need a drummer.

MySpace.com - www.myspace.com/karttamusic

We've some tunes up. We're not directly influenced by mid-90s emo as such, but we have a strong hankering for post-rock, slowcore stuff (Bedhead, Red House Painters, Arab Strap), aswell as the likes of Shellac and Sonic Youth. The most emo I get is pretty much anything the Kinsellas have done (Cap'n Jazz, Joan Of Arc, Ghosts And Vodka, etc).

In saying that, we basically just do very loud, atmospheric, and epic pop stuff. With a slice of lemon.

hey, i didn't know you liked capn jazz and joan of arc phil! joan of arc rule!

also phil is lying when he says we're not directly influenced by early emo. stuff like rites of spring, far, quicksand etc are on my headphones often. i'm also into grails, sunn o))) and rachels. we are more post-rock/indie pop but i think you'd have fun with us(kartta) if you were interested. pm myself or idol_wild if you want to jam. unfortunately we don't need anymore guitarists though, we already have 4 in the band with 1 of them on rotation playing keyboards or other instruments in most songs.

• 2 weeks later...

that Kolya link... thank you. i dig. what are they doing with only 166 profile views? madness.

i hope you dudes get this shit together because im just trawling through listening to clips of the bands you've listed, (as i havn't heard of about nine tenths of them) and they're fucking brilliant.

if i wasnt in a band (and had this kind of song writing ability) i would lend my services.

Holy shit. I left the country for a bit, real busy, didn't expect to come back to this much! Bunch of PM's as well. Awesome.

Right!

i would maybe be interested in this, and I have a BASS RIG.

x

A bass rig? That's a good thing, aye? I know pretty much zero about anything to do with basses, or rigs, for that matter.

also phil is lying when he says we're not directly influenced by early emo. stuff like rites of spring, far, quicksand etc are on my headphones often. i'm also into grails, sunn o))) and rachels. we are more post-rock/indie pop but i think you'd have fun with us(kartta) if you were interested. pm myself or idol_wild if you want to jam. unfortunately we don't need anymore guitarists though, we already have 4 in the band with 1 of them on rotation playing keyboards or other instruments in most songs.

Hey, yeah, you guys sound really great, and i appreciate the offer! I'll see how this pans out, but i'm not sure i could handle two bands, especially as i've learned i'll be doing a crazy amount of work this year. I'll see what happens though. If this doesn't work out and you're still looking - count me in!

' date=' post: 416877"']that Kolya link... thank you. i dig. what are they doing with only 166 profile views? madness.

i hope you dudes get this shit together because im just trawling through listening to clips of the bands you've listed, (as i havn't heard of about nine tenths of them) and they're fucking brilliant.

if i wasnt in a band (and had this kind of song writing ability) i would lend my services.

Ah, i'm glad you enjoy them! They're crazy underrated, which is a real shame. I can upload the full length, and two 7"s if you want, as they're not the easiest things to get a hold off, although, i think you can still get the one of the first 7" on the label site, linked on the myspace. They're playing in various other bands now, but i've not been able to get my hands on any stuff.

If you enjoy them, check out and Logs (a bit heavier, but oooh so good). Two of my favourite bands right now!

--------

To everyone else that has sent an PM, or replied here, thanks so much! I'm going to make sure i get back to you all within the next few days!

As said above, i hope we get this up and running.

Yeah there good. i think i'm just gonna get the full length off iTunes (BOOOO!). but i may purchase the 7". start a bit of a vinyl thing maybe. you know where you could get that from? ebay be the best bet?

LOGS ooof. also awesome. i like this heavier stuff. i'm nae tooo sure bout the Dame... band. there listenable. i just don't enjoy it like the other two. Kolya seems more peaceful compared to LOGS' heavyness. The other band feel like there almost caught in the middle. groundhog... was just too long for me. felt like it's feet were dragging.

keep us filled in about the band. definetly like to come and see you play if you were in town. if you still havn't found a bassist in a while and i get a bass rig together i might be persuaded to join. if anyone in aberdeen has any sort of decent music taste it shouldn't come to that!

' date=' post: 416882"']Yeah there good. i think i'm just gonna get the full length off iTunes (BOOOO!). but i may purchase the 7". start a bit of a vinyl thing maybe. you know where you could get that from? ebay be the best bet?

LOGS ooof. also awesome. i like this heavier stuff. i'm nae tooo sure bout the Dame... band. there listenable. i just don't enjoy it like the other two. Kolya seems more peaceful compared to LOGS' heavyness. The other band feel like there almost caught in the middle. groundhog... was just too long for me. felt like it's feet were dragging.

keep us filled in about the band. definetly like to come and see you play if you were in town. if you still havn't found a bassist in a while and i get a bass rig together i might be persuaded to join. if anyone in aberdeen has any sort of decent music taste it shouldn't come to that!

You can still get one of Kolya 7" Here. You're talking about 6 quid including postage to the UK. The other 7" and LP are oop, but they usually appear on ebay, or sellers on various forums sometimes put them up.

The Logs 7" is pretty much one of my favourite things out this year! The members also play in The Kidcrash, who are more mathy/complex than Logs (i still prefer Logs though!). Their record Jokes has just come out - pretty solid if you dig that kinda thing.

Also, if you enjoy the Logs sound, you're gonna love Shotmaker. Total sweet as old skool Canadian band.

I really love Damezumari, though! I think they have quite a nostalgic sound...or something. But each to their own and all that.

But yeah, i need to get time with my friend to figure out what we're going to do, and get replying!

We're searching for a bassist, and perhaps someone to chap the mic (although, i like to think of bands as democracies, in which we all take part

I know this isn't a discussion forum, but your post intrigues me. What is the above quote meant to mean? It sounds like a sly way of saying "I think singers get all the girls and I don't like that 'cos I want my share, so I want to sing too". That is completely lame.

Maybe I've completely misjudged this, and yes I guess bands are democracies, but does this mean that everyone also gets a shot at playing the drums during your set too? After all, drums are a cool instrument to play and it's only fair.

I know this isn't a discussion forum, but your post intrigues me. What is the above quote meant to mean? It sounds like a sly way of saying "I think singers get all the girls and I don't like that 'cos I want my share, so I want to sing too". That is completely lame.

Maybe I've completely misjudged this, and yes I guess bands are democracies, but does this mean that everyone also gets a shot at playing the drums during your set too? After all, drums are a cool instrument to play and it's only fair.

Wow, i don't think you could be further away from the point.

I meant that all members would sing. The examples i gave, Koyla, Sinaloa, all members take part in the vocals - giving different pitches/styles etc.

And anyone who starts a band to "get all the girls" needs a quick sharp smack.