aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Ollie

prince of wales

a fine local pub. I noticed in the aberdeen record that it's being bought over. Will it still be much the same, does anyone know?

It's changed hands several times in the last few years, and it's more or less kept the same character as before every time. It's far too successful to make radical changes to it, although there are a lot of murmurs that it isn't nearly as good as it used to be.

When i clicked on this thread I thought it might be about this dodgy fellow:

caption.jpg

Alas, it seems we're talking about the pub

The Prince of Wales has gone a little downhill in recent years in my experience, the food was pretty bland last time I went, but that was a fair few months ago. Still seems to draw a fair crowd though. Hopefully the new owners can improve the food a bit, not much else needs changing in there.

Speaking of real ale pubs, has anyone been out to the Marine in Stony? Went there recently with a friend who lives out there and it was a good laugh, great selection of Ale and whiskeys and a great atmosphere.

The Prince needs a good clean, it is a good pub but it's getting pretty worn down and there are huge holes in the walls, not to mention the mass amounts of fruit flies buzzing around the place.

It probably won't change much, I thought it got bought over a few years ago though? Maybe it's not as successful as it seems?

When i clicked on this thread I thought it might be about this dodgy fellow:

caption.jpg

Alas, it seems we're talking about the pub

The Prince of Wales has gone a little downhill in recent years in my experience, the food was pretty bland last time I went, but that was a fair few months ago. Still seems to draw a fair crowd though. Hopefully the new owners can improve the food a bit, not much else needs changing in there.

Speaking of real ale pubs, has anyone been out to the Marine in Stony? Went there recently with a friend who lives out there and it was a good laugh, great selection of Ale and whiskeys and a great atmosphere.

yup, went there just after it reopened and it's improved a huge amount. very good pub.

If it's bought by Belhaven as someone told me then expect it's selection of real ales to be swiftly replaced by Abbot Ale, Greene King IPA and other beers from the limited Greene King (Belhaven's owners) portfolio. It's a tactic they've been using in England for some time and they've done it in other pubs in Aberdeen (Ma's pretty much only stocks Greene King ales and Belhaven Best now):

AF&RM CAMRA - The Campaign for Real Ale - Green King - The Villains?

I've never been that enamoured with he place to honest, it has about as much atmoshpere as the moon and it seems kind of dirty.

It sold a couple of years ago in a bundle with Estaminet, Ministry and Paramount if I remember correctly. They ruined Estaminet, it used to be a brilliant little late night club, brilliant DJs every night, great atmoshpere, it's absolute shite now, completely empty, they've now resorted to putting A4 black&white word documents in all the windows advertising the fact that they are open late, it'll be gone in 6 months, mark my words.

It wasn't bundled with Paramount and Ministry. A company called Scotia bought up the Prince, The Bells, O'Donoghues and Estaminet from private owners, and consequently went bust when it transpired that the Prince was the only one actually making a profit. The Marr Brothers, of Dundee FC fame bought some of the pubs after Scotia went into liquidation, and now it seems they're on the market again.

Praying for it to become an independent again, but Belhaven has had their eyes on it for many a year, so I fear it may sadly become one of their not-bad-but-missing-something-vital chain.

Estaminet/Bruin will be extremely fortunate if they make it through the summer. They're only open Friday and Saturdays these days, and even then they're really dead.

I used to work next door to Estaminet in the AU union a couple years ago, we used to close at 12 and nip next door every night for a couple hours and to take in the DJs. It was never packed out but they always had a few tables of customers at least and was reasonably busy, the new owners really haven't made much of a go of it, as you say, I've been in on Friday nights recently and there's been about 5 or 6 people.

Belhaven pubs are bloody expensive though, they calculate prices based on making a certain percentage profit which means a pint of Stella is 2.98 (in The Globe anyway, and I suspect the same in all belhaven pubs).

Belhaven pubs are bloody expensive though, they calculate prices based on making a certain percentage profit which means a pint of Stella is 2.98 (in The Globe anyway, and I suspect the same in all belhaven pubs).

Don't drink Stella. For a lot of things they're actually cheaper than a lot of the city centre. Pretty sure a pint of best is 2.35 in Ma's which is a decent price. The food's not bad either.

I like Belhaven pubs (at least I know I won't have to drink tennents in them) but I'd rather see somewhere like the Prince of Wales stay independant if possible.

I was driving past Estaminet/Bruin last night, noticed there are "To Let" signs up and all the posters etc have been removed from the windows. Might our predictions have come true already?

Don't drink Stella. For a lot of things they're actually cheaper than a lot of the city centre. Pretty sure a pint of best is 2.35 in Ma's which is a decent price. The food's not bad either.

I like Belhaven pubs (at least I know I won't have to drink tennents in them) but I'd rather see somewhere like the Prince of Wales stay independant if possible.

Everything is dear as fuck in Ma's, I dislike that bar also due to lack of atmoshpere and overpricing.

If you want great food, cheap prices and good craic head for the Tilted Wig. Love that place!

Ma's used to be good, decades ago, when it was a real warren of a place, but after they knocked some of the smaller rooms into one it lost a lot of its charm.

I still like the Prince though...it managed to retain most of its atmosphere despite the extension. Hope it avoids being 'chained'.

Everything is dear as fuck in Ma's, I dislike that bar also due to lack of atmoshpere and overpricing.

It's a lot cheaper than the places some of my friends drag me to. 2.70 a pint is around about average these days (even for shite like Tennents) so anything below that is good.

I like Tennents:cheers: probably due to drinking it for 30-odd years:up:

Quality :up:

Another few years and you'll qualify for drinking Jack & Victors favourite - Fusilier Lager.

Guest Laura@TMB
I still like the Prince though...it managed to retain most of its atmosphere despite the extension. Hope it avoids being 'chained'.

Sorry Alan, I may as well be the one to break the bad news.... it's been 'chained' and the new owner will, 'allegedly', be Belhaven.

Sorry Alan, I may as well be the one to break the bad news.... it's been 'chained' and the new owner will, 'allegedly', be Belhaven.

Damn! Why couldn't it have been part of the upcoming 'Moorings' chain??

:love:

Damn! Why couldn't it have been part of the upcoming 'Moorings' chain??

:love:

Where did you hear about that? Got a link...?