aberdeen-music

So what's good about Edinburgh?

monkey

Guest DustyDeviada
go to the baked potato shop on cockburn street for the finest baked tatties and other tasty treats. beats the shit out of the tasty tattie.

Haggis pakoras are "back" according to the sign in the window.

I work away in Edinburgh just about every week, great place, always loads going on, and of course you're not far away from Glasgow where there's loads of gigs and stuff going on as well.

We have a lot of good stuff in Aberdeen, especially music related/ Higher Education related. It's just a pity housing is such a problem unless you work in the Oil Industry.

The housing situation isn't exactly great in and around Edinburgh.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Steven Dedalus
go to the baked potato shop on cockburn street for the finest baked tatties and other tasty treats. beats the shit out of the tasty tattie.

I recall you staggering out of there, munching on a potato, looking very pleased with yourself. So I can vouch for how good they are, without having tried them myself.

And in terms of it being better than the Tastie Tattie, nuclear armageddon is better than the Tastie Tattie.

Guest Steven Dedalus

I was actually talking to someone a minute ago about a time where I fell asleep whist eating a Tasie Tattie and woke up to find it stuck to my head.

The Baked Potato shop on Cockburn street is indeed awesome. As is Palmera's on Nicholson street. The nights that used to be on in Subway have now all moved to The Hive on Niddry Street, up from Bannermans. Still cheap booze though. Subway's apprently becoming an R 'n B club. Or at least that's the rumour. If you fancy a laid back evening I heartily recommend the Jazz Bar on Chambers Street. Even if you're not a huge jazz fan it's still a nice place to go. Drink is quite expensive though. The Outhouse just off Broughton Street is a really nice pub too.

Guest DustyDeviada
Better than Aberdeen though I suspect!!!

Dunno about that, although it's slowed down now housing prices in Edinburgh have been going through the roof for years. Like anywhere else, there will be reasonably priced housing available, just not anywhere you would want to stay, Muirhouse, Wester Hailes etc.

Same in Aberdeen, plenty of affordable housing near the city centre, it's just in Manor and Logie.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

thank you to everybody who is saying that the tastie tattie is shit. it's the worst place in town to get hot food at night. how anyone can stomach it, let along sing its praise is utterly baffling. they can't do anything well. it's appalling and overpriced. i despise it.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Murrayfield :love:

Huh, where's that? Never heard of it.

If you're in the Leith area, Vinyl Villains is always worth a rake. Picked up a few gems in there over the years.

Guest DustyDeviada
thank you to everybody who is saying that the tastie tattie is shit. it's the worst place in town to get hot food at night. how anyone can stomach it, let along sing its praise is utterly baffling. they can't do anything well. it's appalling and overpriced. i despise it.

I'm a sucker for their Chilli pies though, anybody know of anywhere else you can get them?

Agreed, though the only thing on the menu that's any good is the chicken burger, I've thrown away most of anything else I've bought there....

Several years ago, by genuine complete accident, I DESTROYED their toilets. Water everywhere, I ran away....

Guest Neutral

went out there yesterday to the mission great night

recomment missing out opium because its shit, really shit, moshulu but a lot smaller, worse smelliing and people seem to push you out the way to get past

went out there yesterday to the mission great night

recomment missing out opium because its shit, really shit, moshulu but a lot smaller, worse smelliing and people seem to push you out the way to get past

Agreed. Bannermans is alright though. I used to like the Worlds End pub on the Royal Mile but now I find it always too crowded.

• 2 weeks later...

Opium is generally fine and cheap through the week (used to be a 1 a drink though might have changed?). Loads of good pubs though, in fact pubs everywhere! Studio 24 is good as well and I have had a lot of good nights at the Liquid Rooms and Cabaret Voltaire. Not as many gigs as there used to be though (for my musical taste) as bigger bands used to play the Playhouse which is now always chokka with shows so no one can book it and the Venue is now flats and that used to attract all the best smaller and cult rock/metal acts. Still a huge music scene in general in different genres though with live music on multiple venues every night of the week and obviously a huge theatre scene, Playhouse/Festival Theatre/Kings Hall/Brunton/Usher Hall etc etc.

Loads of great resteraunts as well covering pretty much every country imaginable and lots open all through the night. 24hr drinking is damn easy to do as well (misspent many a penny in the Penny Black!).

Crime is not a major issue (comparitively) and things are pretty mild mannered. A good place to live but can be pricey for accomidation in a nice area. I enjoyed working there and still visit regularly for the rugby and occasional gig.

I enjoy noising up the weejies at work by proclaiming my love of the City of Edinburgh AND its inhabitants, oh they don't like that in Glasgow. I also enjoy saying the same of the French to Guffy bigots, free entertainment;

Guffo bigot; "Bloody French, europeans etc etc, grumble"

Me; "But they are a fine race of people, ancient traditions etc"

Guffo bigot; "Cor blimey, strike a light guvnor, you mahrst be jokin' etc"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest batterypowpow

A walk up Arthur's Seat is always great. Strolling around at a slow pace, then as you return to the city finding your steps getting progressively faster...

It's a great city just to walk around. I was so damn happy there.