aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
monkey

So what's good about Edinburgh?

I've a new job and I'm moving away from the 'deen in October. I've never lived there before so I was wondering what's good about Edinburgh? What do you think are the best places to live, see, do, listen, drink around Edinburgh?

Best place to live is beside the meadows in my opinion.

You need to go to the mosque for a curry, its amazing.

basically its just a really nice place. nice atmosphere.

From my limited experience, I've found that Edinburgh has a very friendly acoustic-music/folk/pop scene, and that they really like glockenspiels.

Check out a Spicey Daffodil evening if you get the chance. Lots of fun.

Edinburgh is just an all round ace place. Cabaret Voltaire is good. Subway is an ace little alternative club cheap as chips. These are clubs. Good pubs are everywhere. Doctors is awesome.

Guest Steven Dedalus
It's not Aberdeen.

Ahh, wisdom.

the Modern Art Gallery is pretty good. I was at the Warhol exhibition a number of years ago, and was able to put my face against a massive screen print of a handgun.

And that's gotta be worth something!

click on that link maxwell. cos you failed. and thus deserve a punch in the mouth.

Either that or he really loves his lady-wares o_O

I don't know why people have such a downer on Aberdeen, i've lived/been in much worse places.

We have a lot of good stuff in Aberdeen, especially music related/ Higher Education related. It's just a pity housing is such a problem unless you work in the Oil Industry.

aberdeen is a good place to live I always enjoyed my time up there.

tbh though phil, housing is not that much of a problem, you can still get houses outside the city centre for a reasonable price.

its not just the oil industry that pays well in aberdeen. IT/HEI/ B2B sales/technology/research jobs are VERY well paid in Aberdeen in relation to other places (see inverness, dundee, stirling, many of your larger places in england).

Ahh, wisdom.

the Modern Art Gallery is pretty good. I was at the Warhol exhibition a number of years ago, and was able to put my face against a massive screen print of a handgun.

And that's gotta be worth something!

I went to the Salvador Dali exhibition there a few years ago. It was about 28 but worth far more. I was lost for words - and that is uncommon...

Thank you for all the suggestions so far - suggestions for alternative pubs and clubs and good places to chill and eat good food are all gratefully received! I've not started flat hunting yet but will do shortly.

Keep 'em coming!

Thank you for all the suggestions so far - suggestions for alternative pubs and clubs and good places to chill and eat good food are all gratefully received! I've not started flat hunting yet but will do shortly.

I like The Tron (great food for an It's a Scream bar), Opium (rock music, cheap drink), The bar next door to Opium that I can't remember the name of, Bannerman's, The Black Bull, Ego (when the Vegas clubnight is on), Cabaret Voltaire....most are on or around the Cowgate.

Logie Baird's Bar @ The Bank Hotel on the Royal Mile is pretty good too, bit pricey but nice atmosphere. Opium's a must on a night out.

Plus during festival time there's something for everyone. Check out some of the productions up at the Assembly Rooms.

If I could get my first training post in Edinburgh when the time comes I'd be a very happy chappie.

go to the baked potato shop on cockburn street for the finest baked tatties and other tasty treats. beats the shit out of the tasty tattie.

there's a great pub on drummond street across from the festival theatre but i forget what it's called.

go to the baked potato shop on cockburn street for the finest baked tatties and other tasty treats. beats the shit out of the tasty tattie.

there's a great pub on drummond street across from the festival theatre but i forget what it's called.

Brass Monkey?