aberdeen-music

Friday Night Mudd Club

Alan

sorry but the office reply was spot on, we are a business after all, and have other promoters banging on our door for friday night rnb nights etc etc

everyone said "mudd club friday night" please please please..........

so we do it and no one supports it?(

we are really pleased with monday nights, friday just didnt seem to work

i have to ask myself the question....do i continue with it, or give it to another genre????

How was it promoted in the city outside this website? You've also got bigger competition on a Friday as well I suppose (Moshulu, Exodus and Tunnels all busy that night).

It was one of those things that I wanted to go to but haven't been out much lately.

sorry but the office reply was spot on, we are a business after all, and have other promoters banging on our door for friday night rnb nights etc etc

everyone said "mudd club friday night" please please please..........

so we do it and no one supports it?(

we are really pleased with monday nights, friday just didnt seem to work

i have to ask myself the question....do i continue with it, or give it to another genre????

From my own experience it is often necessary to perevere with these things longer term in order to succeed. At our inaugeral Wrecking Ball back in 2002 we initially had very low numbers. It took months to build up the support.

Some nights never quite reach the critical mass required to become a success, but slowly garner enough support to warrent their survival.

In my opinion, one of the mistakes that RFR frequently made was to knee jerk if things were not instantly successful. This time last year they pulled Hits & Giggles because the attendances were very poor... only for several hundred student freshers to arrive at locked doors the following week. They restarted a week later but suffered for that closure.

It really depends whether you are able to play the long game with these things.

Chris - we certainly had flyers out for this event every week.

Be wary of taking business decsions based on support expressed on this website. When we first spoke of applying for a PVSL license and screening movies we got dozens of replies. The reality was inconsistent with that. Three years on this concept has a small but stable following that warrents the cost of doing it. Well almost.

Several times I have preached on this forum that the only way to increase numbers is to contribute to the expansion of our local scene (whatever that is). Bigger pond = room for more fish. The best way to achieve this is for the local independent venues to work together to increase awareness and raise interest in what we have to offer. It's also much more cost effective that way.

As a club you need to court feeder bars. The way to do this is to provide bars which cater to your target market with flyers that provide reduced admission. However the bars WILL REFUSE to distribute these if they are time dependent. 1 off admission before 10pm would not be acceptable. It needs to say 1 off admission on presentation of this flyer, and for that to be applicable at all times. The joint Mudd Club flyer incorporated a time dependency under the Monday section which was a tad shitty. We put them out anyway, but may decide to pull them now that the Fridays are off. Why spend all that money and effort then risk the flyers not being acceptable?

The people seeking to attend your clubnight will then seek out the feeder bars in advance in order to save on admission. When they choose to exercise that is at their discretion, and time restrictions are only likely to defer their attendance anyway. You might as well test this as it certainly can't make the situation any worse.

In return the bars will be willing to participate by promoting your night, and pressing the dicsount flyer into the hands of the punters.

That type of co-operation would be a good place to start.

Moving on from that would be joint promotions materials. Years ago I proposed that the independents circulate a joint flyer listing all their activies. Hey the punters are going to choose anyway, such a strategy will only serve to increase numbers as people use the device to better plan their entertainment.

We are one of the few bars that have virtually no restriction on people putting up posters for gigs elsewhere. Yet we only host one gig each week. Most other places host several. Clearly you'd think that this was not in our best interests. We even keep all of the posters up until their respective gigs have past. If everywhere operated this exact same policy then it would be a real show of solidarity. Needless to say the posters have not proved determental to our business. If anything they INCREASE trade ever so slightly. Weird that :)

Just my 2p worth.

I have been meaning to head along some Friday, but I havn't managed. Was gonna try an convince abdy to go this weekend but now it's stopped!!!!

Admitedly I shouldn't have been so lazy but in my opinion it's not gonna get busy if you dont give it a fair run and give people time to come round to the idea of not going to Moshulu (where they know there will be heaps of people).

Admitedly I shouldn't have been so lazy but in my opinion it's not gonna get busy if you dont give it a fair run and give people time to come round to the idea of not going to Moshulu (where they know there will be heaps of people).

I agree. Running it for three weeks (and not having the club night open till 12:30am on the 3rd Friday) isn't really the best way to drum up support for it. Perseverence is the way forward.

I agree. Running it for three weeks (and not having the club night open till 12:30am on the 3rd Friday) isn't really the best way to drum up support for it. Perseverence is the way forward.

I see you haven't mentioned it will be restarting on the 21st once the students are back.

and this night in question was a gig which we moved from the bar to the club so you would have someone to dj to! and so when the clubber arrived they would walk back out because the place was empty

My concern is why did we drop our Friday drinks prices so everyone could still pay full price else where? so you see we did give it a fair go, realised the timing was wrong and instead of getting a reputation for being a dead night decided to stop wasting time, money and effort and close for a few weeks.

BTW; we thought joint marketing makes sense when its the same crowd your aiming at, who wants 2 flyers for the same concept?

hope to see you all in a few weeks

Guest Tam o' Shantie

man, have you ever run a bar or a club before? how can you possibly make a proper decision on what to do with a club night when it ran for 2 and a half weeks?

Just want to add my piece.

Not 'everybody' wanted it moved to a Friday - me and my friends love it on a Monday - I've only missed one since it started.

As for support - I went on the first two Fridays, but it seemed people would go in, see it was empty, then opt for Moshulu because it was going to be busy, and just around the corner. So people came in and then left as the night went on, and it never got busy. Eventually by 1am I opted to follow suit and caught up with friends at Moshulu.

Personally I think that although Mudd and Moshulu are aimed at different crowds, I don't reckon that there's room in Aberdeen at present for two alternative clubs on the same night just round the corner from each other.

Things will pick up when the students get back - but I reckon that Mondays are the way forward.

It's a fair point, the Palace Mudd was fucking dire.

Not if you liked the music it wasn't.

It was great around 1995/2000.

Went a bit crap as Fridays started to take over and no-one really went on Mondays anymore.

And on a side note... was going to go to Friday Mudd... had around 10 of us, but the bouncers told us it was dead, so not to bother going in.....