aberdeen-music

Mogwai

SteveCrisis

As long as you make the walls tremble and the ground move in a similar fashion :love:

I take it you'll be at Desalvo on friday Jim? I dare you to speak over them, as I seem to remember both of us trying to remain invisible in the relatively safe area of the bar last time :up:

Depends on how special the nights it is an how we finish it off ;)

Sadly I will be away this weekend (a weekend with the inlaws o_O) and will miss Desalvo, otherwise I would have gladly joined you up the back and well out of to way of our apron clad entertainer! :moody::down:

They've 'had their day'? Pish min.

I don't think that they're getting worse or anything but I'm not sure that they're as relevant as they once were. There are some really great moments on the album but, largely, it's what was expected. Which is a shame by and large. I just kinda get the feeling that they're never going to release another album that really grabs my attention in the way that others have. They're always going to be a good band but I'm not sure whether they're going to scale the heights that they used to. Having said that, 'I Love You, I'm Going To Blow Up Your School' is great.

I don't think that they're getting worse or anything but I'm not sure that they're as relevant as they once were. There are some really great moments on the album but, largely, it's what was expected. Which is a shame by and large. I just kinda get the feeling that they're never going to release another album that really grabs my attention in the way that others have. They're always going to be a good band but I'm not sure whether they're going to scale the heights that they used to. Having said that, 'I Love You, I'm Going To Blow Up Your School' is great.

Personally I think a lot of the trouble is the sheer number of post-rock bands out there nowadays. When I listen to Young Team now it seems almost amateurish at times compared to their stuff now, despite being a great album. I don't think there's a single Mogwai album that I have found bad, Rock Action is probably my least favourite but personally I think Mr. Beast is a very strong album and I think the new one has some very strong tracks. 'Thank You Space Expert' is beautiful.

I missed their gig in Aberdeen, think I was offshore if I recall correctly, and while i'd love them to play here again at least they played once and if they had that bad an experience then why would they come back? The petulance displayed on this thread is embarrassing, if they read it I wouldn't blame them for avoiding Aberdeen for the rest of their careers.

No, it's not just because of that, it's their overall attitude to their fans too. I wouldn't mind a great night seeing them in Aberdeen. But if they are so precious that they can't bring themselves to play here because a few people had a chat through a portion of their set then why shouldn't i resent them a bit, i wasn't talking through their set. I'm so glad most other bands don't feel like that otherwise no-one would play anywhere. Why should i travel miles and miles to see them? I could understand them playing just Edinburgh and Glasgow. But avoiding Aberdeen on purpose just to spite people and playing Inverness instead just smacks of acting the cunt. I mean it wouldn't have taken too much effort to play Aberdeen on the way there or back.

I hope he reads it too.

you sound pretty precious yourself. have day out and see them somewhere.

incidentally, i spent the evening after the GYBE and Sigur Ros gig chatting to Mr Braithwaite about football and he said he loved Aberdeen. but I think he was referring to the football fans opinion of Rangers FC. he loves the tims. a lot of weedgies have this skewed version of Aberdeen as a super affluent oil-rich Dallas type place which is painted by Reporting Scotland and the STV equivalent and don't want to come here on principle. i'm sure Primal Scream had that issue as well. until they eventually came to promote their sh*te album. would have loved to have seen them here around Vanishing Point/Xtrmntr days.

talking at gigs is a problem at the Lemon Tree and the Tunnels though. the bars are too close to the action. was enjoying Pictish Trail / Rozi Plain / Lazy Sheepdog last week until a big group of bams came in and made an absolute racket. politely told them to zip it and was met with the same predictable, unbelievably selfish responses. "we paid our money" "this is a pub as well" which makes you wonder why they paid a tenner to get into a pub when there's loads in the area.

and I think "The Hawk Is Howling" is f&cking ace. wasn't a fan when I met the boy. would probably gab a load of starstuck nonsense to him now. one of my favourite bands.

but aye, dry yer eyes Stuart and co and give Aberdeen another chance.

• 2 years later...