aberdeen-music

Mogwai

SteveCrisis

Guest idol_wild
Why do they refuse to play aberdeen - cos people talked through their set?

Essentially, yes. Which is a dicky stance to take on Mogwai's part, I must concede. However, there were a small minority who were not only talking, but actively hollering quite loud throughout. Luckily, the laddish beer monster types who sing Aberdeen FC songs at gigs didn't appear.

Stuart Braithwaite did politely ask the main culprits of the noise to tone it down a little so that the band and the audience could get what they wanted out of the performance.

But they never shut up. At all. Shame, really.

But as someone suggested previously: those who are big enough Mogwai fans won't mind travelling a little to see Mogwai in better surroundings. It's worth it.

I remember Braithwaite saying "this is difficult enough without all your shouting - can you keep it down please."

I remember hoping the next loud bit was in the post as it really was annoying.

Having said that, the band got paid for the gig and there was nothing on the ticket that said you had to be quiet throughout the performance. Maybe there were non - Mogawi fans there who didn't get but had paid their money for their ticket and felt entitled to blether throughout?

What can you do? Make a special "fans only" gig in Aberdeen where abody promises to be quiet as mice throughout? I know I'm in stunned silence when I see them play live!

Guest Tam o' Shantie

it probably wasn't fun but who the fuck do they think they are? without sounding like a 50 year old guy in a pub cover band trying to dish out advice to some 'young guns' who are 'new on the rock scene', if you actually can't handle drunk people talking while you play, why bother? I'm sure every band who ever played a gig has experienced it at some point, and much worse probably, and not thrown a tantrum like this.

Guest bluesxman

One Up 2nd hand section last night had Young Team, Come On Die Young and Government Commissions at less than a fiver each if anyone needs to fill some gaps in their Mogwai collection.

Braithwaite didn't object to Aberdeen so much when he tagged on with Godspeed a few years back....

it probably wasn't fun but who the fuck do they think they are? without sounding like a 50 year old guy in a pub cover band trying to dish out advice to some 'young guns' who are 'new on the rock scene', if you actually can't handle drunk people talking while you play, why bother? I'm sure every band who ever played a gig has experienced it at some point, and much worse probably, and not thrown a tantrum like this.

or perhaps he's sticking to principles?

I certainly know I get fucked off with an audience talking through a set of a band I want to hear.

I remember James Yorkston's set - you could hear a pin drop, a true indication that everyone there was there to hear music, and not pay 8 quid to go into a pub. there are times and places, and gigs just aint the place to chat (before, after sure, but, ITS THE FUCKING MUSIC WE'RE THERE FOR).

Perhaps if more people stopped going to places because they know the audience on the whole sucked, people might actually start listening, instead of talking through a show?

One Up 2nd hand section last night had Young Team, Come On Die Young and Government Commissions at less than a fiver each if anyone needs to fill some gaps in their Mogwai collection.

Braithwaite didn't object to Aberdeen so much when he tagged on with Godspeed a few years back....

and that gig had its fair share of loud mouthed arseholes too...

Guest bluesxman
and that gig had its fair share of loud mouthed arseholes too...

Did it? I don't remember being annoyed by that and I'm usually easily annoyed by folk talking at all during gigs....must have chosen a good spot. I do remember some guy sitting at the front of the stage hoying a pint of lager over some lass taking pics because she was yapping as she did it.

Did it? I don't remember being annoyed by that and I'm usually easily annoyed by folk talking at all during gigs....must have chosen a good spot. I do remember some guy sitting at the front of the stage hoying a pint of lager over some lass taking pics because she was yapping as she did it.

Christ, I remember that. He eventually got thrown out by The Lemon Tree's wonderful security men IIRC.

Ironically, the only person I can actually remembering shouting at that gig was Stuart Braithwaite at the end of each song. Some variation of "Wonderful!", "Brillant!" etc.

I also remember seeing Sigur Ros at The Lemon Tree around that time as well.

Good days. *sniff*

Christ, I remember that. He eventually got thrown out by The Lemon Tree's wonderful security men IIRC.

Ironically, the only person I can actually remembering shouting at that gig was Stuart Braithwaite at the end of each song. Some variation of "Wonderful!", "Brillant!" etc.

I also remember seeing Sigur Ros at The Lemon Tree around that time as well.

Good days. *sniff*

...wasn't that supporting gybe?

Guest bluesxman

Same gig, Sigur Ros and Fly Pan Am were supports. The guy with the pint sat with his head down during one song while the bouncer tried to attract his attention, prodding him on the shoulder, the guy totally ignored him. Then when the song was finished the bouncer came back and the guy just got up and left with no fuss, bizarre. Was sat right behind him.

Same gig, Sigur Ros and Fly Pan Am were supports. The guy with the pint sat with his head down during one song while the bouncer tried to attract his attention, prodding him on the shoulder, the guy totally ignored him. Then when the song was finished the bouncer came back and the guy just got up and left with no fuss, bizarre. Was sat right behind him.

Oh dear. I thought Fly Pan Am was a different gig as well! But no, it was all three in the one night. I might have had one too many ciders I think...

Guest bluesxman
Oh dear. I thought Fly Pan Am was a different gig as well! But no, it was all three in the one night. I might have had one too many ciders I think...

You may well have! I think this still stands as the best gig I've been to and certainly must be one of the best line ups Aberdeen has ever or will ever see.....

Boredoms! Even if they have no support it'll be the best lineup Aberdeen has seen!

as roy walker would say, "it's good, but it's not right".

3 amazing bands (sigur ros didn't even have an LP out at the time) in one night pisses on "one amazing band" for the dictionary definition of " a line up".

imagine, a police line up with one crook?..."it was him officer" "are you sure".."actually, now you mention it, I am not sure"....

eh?

great gig, amazing night.

(*apart from the old twat who kept saying (behind me) "just like pink floyd, only 20 years later" (or some such shite))

Guest bluesxman
Boredoms! Even if they have no support it'll be the best lineup Aberdeen has seen!

Does a single band count as a line up though? I was thinking in terms of 3 quality bands on one bill......