aberdeen-music

Mogwai

SteveCrisis

Don't think there's been a Mogwai thread for a while... and I can't believe it's almost a year since I saw them play the Albert Hall. So on Thursday, London here I come to see them at Somerset House for Vodafone Live. Once again, the anticipation is kiling me.

So, for all the 'Gwai fans here what's your stand out track and favourite album?

For me it has to be Xmas Steps track-wise and Happy Songs For Happy People album-wise.

Admittedly, HSFHP did take a while for me to get in to but nowadays it's an album I constantly crave to listen to.

Guest idol_wild

Stop Coming To My House and Friend Of The Night are my two favourite tracks.

I think Government Commisions is a great collection - the version of Stop Coming To My House is fucking epic!

Mogwai will never ever return to Aberdeen. The Lemon Tree show they did was ill-fated and spoiled by a very small number of wankers.

I still think that young team is the best, and in my opinion, they've gone down hill ever since. I think it was the 4th lp (happy songs) when I stopped waiting and caring for them to release "amazing" lps - it just turned to wallpaper. People like Pelican were doing stuff more interesting , I thought.

fave mogwai song has to be "R U still into it" (feat Aidan Moffat) off of BMX bandits ep.

and I was lucky enough to see the young team tour in the tunnels (glasgow)...fooking amazing. (shame they had what looked like Bis on acid supporting them)

I still think that young team is the best, and in my opinion, they've gone down hill ever since. I think it was the 4th lp (happy songs) when I stopped waiting and caring for them to release "amazing" lps - it just turned to wallpaper.

I agree 100% with that.

I really love the track Hugh Dallas (vocals 'n a'thing, min) but Mogwai Fear Satan will always be my favourite.

Mogwai at the Barras 1998 was one of my fave gigs ever. I was deaf for a week it was so loud!

Not my favourite album or track but rather special. 'Zidane: A21st Century Portrait'

Best heard in context initially then listened to at ones pleasure. Anyone seen the film (art piece) out of interest?

I thought it was fantatstic

by Philippe Parreno & Douglass Gordon (24 hour Psycho)...

I never did go see it...I should have!

I've just checked out boomkat, and see that Pelican have their LP up for a few snippets to listen to :

PELICAN, City Of Echoes

Guest bluesxman

All time favourite track is 'Mogwai Fear Satan', 15 minutes of sheer perfection and beauty.

Don't find any of the albums bad as such, but Young Team, Happy Songs and Mr Beast are probably the most consistent for me personally. The Government Sessions album is really good. The Kicking A Dead Pig remix album is pretty wank on the whole. Haven't seen the Zidane film as yet but the album works perfectly well in itself IMO.

After listening to City Of Echoes twice to date I have reached the conclusion that it is a rather disappointing retread of old ground.