aberdeen-music

scientists discover totally intact mammoth

ben_1903

Theres documtrary's out there that show an adult mammoth being unearthed from frozen ground complete with hair tusks eyes and even the position it died in......They explained it most probably died in an avalanche.....

Best docu's tho are the Ice Mummy's ones tho...If you havent seen them then i recommend them 100% ....Not for the faint hearted tho and not for the politicaly minded either as they find intact children incas and even the oldest man ever found...Then on the negative side you see all the surrounding countries these mummys where found fighting over who owns them.....

I'm more excited by the fact they might be able to clone it if they can get the DNA from it.

Jurassic Park!

I dunno. Mammoths dying out was natural selection. We shouldn't be fucking about with nature and playing God... especially with the volatile state the planet is in at the moment... Resurrecting extinct species is not natural! ?(

I dunno. Mammoths dying out was natural selection. We shouldn't be fucking about with nature and playing God... especially with the volatile state the planet is in at the moment... Resurrecting extinct species is not natural! ?(

nah i think they should do it. just for the banter, as it were

some mammoths died out naturully. some didn't.

there were colonies living in siberia up to 5,000 years ago. As you know, siberia is still frozen. They died from over hunting by humans.

The others died as a result of climate change.

Siberia should be restored to the grazing land it once was, and mammoths should be put there. We have the means, it's our responsibility to put back what we took.

there were colonies living in siberia up to 5,000 years ago. As you know, siberia is still frozen. They died from over hunting by humans.

Siberia should be restored to the grazing land it once was, and mammoths should be put there. We have the means, it's our responsibility to put back what we took.

No offence but where di you get his information from as i have never heard that mammoths were made extinct from over hunting only climate change...

WHOA, ARE YOU ACTUALLY SAYING THAT SOME MAMMOTHS DIED NATURALLY??? YOWZERS!

No offence but where di you get his information from as i have never heard that mammoths were made extinct from over hunting only climate change...

Mammoth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most likely it was a mixture of the two, but as has been commented with some of their natural habitat still similar it would seem unlikely it was solely climate change.

"Whether the general mammoth population died out for climatic reasons or due to overhunting by humans is controversial. Another theory suggests that mammoths may have fallen victim to an infectious disease"

From wiki^^^

Over hunted?....Bhering in mind these mammoths would have been hunted by hand.....No guns no traps just hand and spear.....I doubt very much they died from being over hunted......The many many studies i have both read ...Watched and studied I have never ever came across a credible source speculating or stating that mamoths where hunted to extinction...On the contrary there is actual proof that mammoth would have been the last thing on the menu due to sheer size and man power required to hunt such a species......Im not saying they were not hunted for food and accesories but they would have hunted smaller prey before mammals......

Plus remebering mammoths were pregnant for 22 months and only ever gave birth to 1 baby,Says a lot for how long a species will survive.

ANYWHO...

After my school educating me to believe both dinasours and man roamed the planet TOGETHER i very rarely rely on speculation....Unless its regarding kerry katona and kylie minogue being 2 of the biggest coke fiends on the planet :);)

"Whether the general mammoth population died out for climatic reasons or due to overhunting by humans is controversial. Another theory suggests that mammoths may have fallen victim to an infectious disease"

From wiki^^^

Over hunted?....Bhering in mind these mammoths would have been hunted by hand.....No guns no traps just hand and spear.....I doubt very much they died from being over hunted......The many many studies i have both read ...Watched and studied I have never ever came across a credible source speculating or stating that mamoths where hunted to extinction...On the contrary there is actual proof that mammoth would have been the last thing on the menu due to sheer size and man power required to hunt such a species......Im not saying they were not hunted for food and accesories but they would have hunted smaller prey before mammals......

Plus remebering mammoths were pregnant for 22 months and only ever gave birth to 1 baby,Says a lot for how long a species will survive.

ANYWHO...

After my school educating me to believe both dinasours and man roamed the planet TOGETHER i very rarely rely on speculation....Unless its regarding kerry katona and kylie minogue being 2 of the biggest coke fiends on the planet :);)

Erm, remembering mammoths were pregnant for 22 months and only ever gave birth to 1 baby, allowed the mammoth to survive for a mere 4,000,000 years, as opposed to the human raced, which started a mere 200,000 years ago... Theres proof that mammoths were the last on the menu ? interesting as they were one of the main dietary dishes of the neanderthals, and one of the reasons we know so much about neanderthals is due to the way they hunted mammoths, which included tricks like using fire to drive them off cliffs and that they worked as a team.

Cheers

Stuart

Erm, remembering mammoths were pregnant for 22 months and only ever gave birth to 1 baby, allowed the mammoth to survive for a mere 4,000,000 years, as opposed to the human raced, which started a mere 200,000 years ago... Theres proof that mammoths were the last on the menu ? interesting as they were one of the main dietary dishes of the neanderthals, and one of the reasons we know so much about neanderthals is due to the way they hunted mammoths, which included tricks like using fire to drive them off cliffs and that they worked as a team.

Cheers

Stuart

Erm by watching the DVD "neanderthals" & "walking with cavemen" it explains in depth that they used the "drive them off a cliff" trick on most meals if not them all...

Erm by watching the DVD "neanderthals" & "walking with cavemen" it explains in depth that they used the "drive them off a cliff" trick on most meals if not them all...

Actually Neandertahls main hunting method was spearing things from close range, one of the reasons they dies out is because the herd animals they hunted started to die out and the smaller ones outran them,

BBC - Science & Nature - Horizon

I wouldnt beliegve everything on Walking with Cavemen, Walking with Cavemen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -

"As with the predecessors, this approach necessitated the presentation of speculation as if it is fact, and some of the statements made about the behaviour of the creatures are more open to question than the documentary may indicate."

Cheers

Stuart