aberdeen-music

New logo = new design

Neil

We have just recently had a new logo designed for the web site and so I've decided to use this as an excuse to produce a new look and feel for the web site as a whole. We've had the current blue colour scheme for a couple years now and so I think it's time to freshen things up a bit and give myself the opportunity to fix a few glitches and usability issues with the web site as well.

And this is where I need your help and feedback. If you could change anything about how the web site looks or works as it currently stands then what would you change and why? Do you have any preferences when it comes to design or colours? Could sections of the web site be re-arranged or even removed?

Any feedback would be most welcome!

Guest DustyDeviada

I would like a "new posts" button at the top of the main page, it would save me hitting the "search" button first.

Hey, just one extra button to press at the moment, but I'm a lazy bastard.

the gig calendar anouncements thing is a mess. You should allow for a further remit than aberdeen. Maybe have on large overall calendar, but you can break it down by location i.e. forthcoming gigs in inverness + aberdeen + dundee or forthcoming gigs in aberdeen + montrose etc

might also be worth tying in with the message boards of the north and south. allowing a further remit as people from Aberdeen do travel to gigs outside aberdeen

the gig calendar anouncements thing is a mess. You should allow for a further remit than aberdeen. Maybe have on large overall calendar, but you can break it down by location i.e. forthcoming gigs in inverness + aberdeen + dundee or forthcoming gigs in aberdeen + montrose etc

might also be worth tying in with the message boards of the north and south. allowing a further remit as people from Aberdeen do travel to gigs outside aberdeen

That is a good idea, create a proper network.

Which message boards are these? I only know of the UGS which is even a bigger mess than this web site.

Many a time I've contemplated just opening up this web site to Scotland as a whole and doing away with making it Aberdeen centric. How would people feel about that? :p

Which message boards are these? I only know of the UGS which is even a bigger mess than this web site.

Many a time I've contemplated just opening up this web site to Scotland as a whole and doing away with making it Aberdeen centric. How would people feel about that? :p

I don't think a general Scotland site is a good idea, as each city I think needs it's own sense of identity in terms of music. I liked Maxi's idea of networking more with other music sites, as long as Aberdeen Music still catered mainly for the tastes of the Aberdeen area. Linking up with other musical cities would maybe encourage more people to explore gigs outside the city, which can only be a good thing in terms of people seeing what else is out there.

If this was to happen, maybe a forum for Aberdeen gig announcements, and another for out of town gigs?

well at the very least the old hubl or whatever its called now. jockrock. edinburghmetalscene.co.uk

its strange. you notice cpl, cathouse, DF et al posting gigs up on other sites but not on aberdeen sights. I would actively encourage it to happen up here

think about the possibilities

it is far more useful for bands if there are people from other cities using this site, and vice versa. it will help build relationships, encourage gig swaps et al

some more sponsorship money for aberdeen-music.com from the bigger promoters who may or may not be intereste din posting here

ive noticed on a few posts dave has mentioned about getting more music minded people using this site for proper discussions, interaction between venues and promoters.

ugs made an arse of it because kj does everything himself. you have got a couple of useful, knowledgeable and active people in dave milne and chriss officer, im sure if you were to add a few more to that you could run it effectively

Is there any way you can make it so you can search for three letter words in the search?. I'm lazy and whenever i'm trying to find threads that i've posted on about PVH it doesnt work and I have to trawl through pages to find it. Ta if you can

Also I agree with Maxi. Aberdeen is isolated enough from the rest of Scotland in terms of music. Anything to break down the barriers is a good idea in my eyes.

Is there any way you can make it so you can search for three letter words in the search?. I'm lazy and whenever i'm trying to find threads that i've posted on about PVH it doesnt work and I have to trawl through pages to find it. Ta if you can

I've reduced the limit to 3 letters but the search index will need rebuilt before you will be able to find anything from past posts. That is something that could take hours if not days but I'll schedule it in for sometime in the future.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I agree, the whole Gigs & Events forum /calendar functionality is less than ideal at the moment. It is something I'm looking at replacing with something better and if it can scale well then I see no reason why we can't start adding out-of-town gigs to it as well.

Guest Savant

Can we see a preview of the new logo?

I think that making the board a general scotland board/site is a bad idea. It's good that most of the stuff on the site just now is relevant to a location. Maybe a 'rest of scotland' board?

Looks cool - could do with a little colour I think. Who produced this?

There will be coloured versions of the logo when it eventually makes it onto this web site. The logo was designed by the excellent local graphic designer Dave from routeseven7.

I'd like to see the Jukebox more prominant as well. It would be good to encourage musicians to display their work on here.

I often listen to the tunes on the player, enjoy quite a few of them. I would rather listen to tracks on here than trawl through myspace getting to hear one track at a time. It doesn't look good flipping back and forward from Myspace sites at work. Once there are enough songs on it might be good to be able to create a playlist of your favourite tracks.