aberdeen-music

[GIG] Meet Me In St Louis + Rolo Tomassi @ Cafe Drummonds

Guest -becky-

Pretty good night I thought.

Clearer The Sky were excellent, really tight and seem to have some cracking songs shaping up. So much better than the fast riff+breakdown metalcore by numbers that seems common these days.

Archives were great, but it got a little unnerving the way the singer refused to face the audience. Maybe next time I see them it'll be somewhere without a stage where he may feel more comfortable.

Meet Me In St Louis were disappointing. I remember being a lot more impressed with them in Moshulu a while back, but it was just a bit of a jumble last night. Hard to find the songs through the noise. Still thought they were alright, but it wasn't hitting the spot for me.

Rolo Tomassi were awesome. Really enjoyed their set. The music was all over the place but it was brilliant. Shame I couldn't stay for their whole thing.

Special mention to the wasted bam in the shorts, who was dancing at the front of the stage during Clearer The Sky and also to the guy in the Rammstein t-shirt who said myself and Maxi were self righteous cunts who didn't know anything about music.

:D

"bad grindcore"

er they aint grindcore min

"bad grindcore"

er they aint grindcore min

"what are they then?"

er i dunno, probably say they are a powerviolence band with electro bits i suppose

"your fucking making up stupid genres"

whatever pal

"yer a couple of self righteous cunts and ye ken nothing about music at all"

i thought that guy (might be wrong) was supposed to be doing an actual grind band with dave rowlands and co, with an attitude like that he wont last long.

----------------------------

good night indeed, nathan did a really good job looking after everyone, smooth show, good bands, good times.

ken what you mean chris, pretty spot on i would say. meh, not our finest hour, but meh we had a good laugh

Regardless of how you classify them, I really wasn't impressed. Just sounded really contrived to me.

Clearer The Sky were alright I thought. To me they just sounded a bit much like old Hopesfall songs stretched out with added doom-ish bits and nothing really grabbed me. Ewan's drumming was top knotch though.

Really enjoyed Archives. I'd agree about the singer having his back to the crowd the whole time though. He made up for it with some interesting between-song chit chat though - "we normally play in a ditch." 'Divine Circuitry' is fucking ace.

Meet Me In St. Louis were my favourite band of the night. So much energy, so many interesting ideas. Even if the bassist did appear to have shaved his legs.