aberdeen-music

Crafter Twin Bird

Stichman

guitars - the only musical instrument I can think of where people worry about how it *looks*

Oh please. What a sweeping generalization. I've seen some fucking ridiculous synths in my time and some custom laptops on stage that are clearly partly there for their functionality and partly for the way they look.

I do agree though, fuck how it looks if it sounds great who gives a rats ass.

Guest DustyDeviada
Don't the youngsters nowadays just use 'gay' to mean crap????

Yes, and to "shake your booty" means to wiggle one's but. Permit me to demonstrate.

9636wg.gif

For what it's worth, I like my guitars to look cool as well as sound good. Yes, the sound and playabiity is the most important thing, but it's great if they look cool as well.

I remember somebody saying in an interview that guitar shops should have mirrors, and I would go along with that. ;)

Yes, and to "shake your booty" means to wiggle one's but. Permit me to demonstrate.

9636wg.gif

That doesn't look like you at all...I think it's a ringer!!!!

I err on the side of the guitar looking good.....if it sounds crap, just buy a pedal or two!

I don't like it when they rip your fingers to bits though :(

Mind you, I'm a bit naive about good-looking synths. I always thought the one Eno used in Roxy Music looked impressive (was that a VCS 3, or am I mis-remembering?). And the one in 2001/a space odyssey looked pretty good too (Hal, wasn't it???), but most look naff to my synth-confused eye. They sound fine though...especially on 'Son of my father'.

if i'm spending hundreds on an instrument i would definitely like it to look good. i wouldn't buy a great looking guitar that sounded shit but, unless it was a great deal on a particular guitar you may as well get something that looks cool.

the idea of having mirrors in guitar shops is pretty depressing though. sounds a bit spinal tap...

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Get an ovation. Well worth it for the electronics alone, especailly secondhand.

I think I just heard the sirens of the 'relevance police' coming to take you away for posting yet another reply to a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with what is being asked or discussed.

if i'm spending hundreds on an instrument i would definitely like it to look good. i wouldn't buy a great looking guitar that sounded shit but, unless it was a great deal on a particular guitar you may as well get something that looks cool.

the idea of having mirrors in guitar shops is pretty depressing though. sounds a bit spinal tap...

That reminds me of a time a few years ago in R&B. I was looking some guitars at the same time as this woman. This one guitar took her fancy, and I said "A nice looking guitar that" to which she replied in a stuffy voice "It's how it looks, it how it sounds that counts" I thought -no shit Sherlock- and smiled at her. Of course sound is the most important factor, but you would be daft to buy the ugliest guitar in the shop just to try and prove a point. IE. If two guitars sounded good, and were in your price range, why pick the worst looking one?

Guest DustyDeviada
If two guitars sounded good, and were in your price range, why pick the worst looking one?

Exactly. Example, here are two Les Paul Standards, exactly the same apart from the colour of the finish. Of course you would take the cherry sunburst. (Braces himself for folk pretending to prefer the first one because it's "different".)

lp5+lcnh_sm.jpg

lp5_itnh.jpg