aberdeen-music

Transformers (Some SPOILERS!!!)

Afro Droid

I've seen Transformers, it opened in Canada two days ago. It's good, but not brilliant. Alot of stuff of stuff has been altered from the original story, which gets the geek in me really upset, and there are canyon-sized holes in the plot; but at the same time it's FUCKING AWESOME, the action sequences are perfect, seeing Prime, Jazz and Ironhide rolling along the highway is spine-tinglingly cool, as is the original Prime voice. Believe it or not, he speaks the immortal line: "One shall stand, one shall fall." Devestator is a tank, rather than a composite of other transformers, and there's a weird Soundwave/Rumble hybrid (he's human-sized, but transforms into a stereo), the cop car is a Decepticon (which again annoyed me, because I thought it'd be Prowl), called Barricade. But holy shit dude, seeing giant robots transforming and fighting was incredible. Anyways, I might've ruined it too much already, but it's definitely worth seeing on the big screen. Essentially, it's a big dumb suimmer blockbuster (it's taken $9m in two days here in Canadia), if you're a big 'formers geek (I am, but I can also see sense in how different mediums handle different source material), you might be mildly disappointed, but seeing the shit unfold in live action(ish) is still awesome. Anyone wats anymore in the way of spoilers, PM me.

I heard the first hour is heavily based on humans (balls). I'm still going though.

It is, but it's not so bad, the guy who plays Sam (Spike - dunno why they changed it) Witwicky is actually pretty likeable. There's a Mother Witwicky too, in another difference from the original.

surely if people are so fussed about the film sticking to the original storyline they'd be better just watching the originals?

i don't see why the fanboys have to get so up in arms every time a film comes out that changes details from the original a little bit. Personally, i quite like seeing how different directors/writers/artists etc handle the same subject matter.

just a thought

If it was a little bit I wouldn't be fussed but if you refer to the original characters this has changed it A LOT. Why not just create a whole new thing than murder something that already exists?

Well in the case of transformers it'd be tough to create something new based on the concept of fighting robots that can transform into a variety of different vehicles without it being labelled as a rip off (or copyright infringement), wouldn't you agree?

I do see where you're coming from though. I'm a big fan of the original too, I've just kinda come to accept that this is what Hollywood does these days: Instead of writing new scripts from scratch they latch onto a story (comic, novel, videogame etc) that already has some form of fanbase. In one sense it's a shame but the other way to look at it would be "Well there's already a pretty fucking awesome Transformers movie that's been around for ages. Now there's Hollywood's interpretation of the story which is different in many ways, some good some bad."

I dont really know where I'm going with this to be honest...

Guest bluesxman

I'm a bit auld to have been into the original Transformers so am probably blessed by ignorance, T4 had a special on the movie at the weekend that I happened to catch and it certainly looks amazing in terms of special effects.

Guest bluesxman
If you're too old to remember Transformers, you're too old to watch T4. ;)

Yup, I can't argue there, flicking through the channels led me to pause and watch that section. However, it meant having to endure June Sarpong doing a cringewortrhy Transformers skit in a plastic bin which reminded me not to make a habit of watching it ;)

There's a showing at 1 minute past midnight on friday night at Vue.

*stares at watch*

I went to it. I thought the film was outstanding. As a 3D animator I was COMPLETELY blown away by the visuals, action and the...transformations. Some of it was pretty cheesy, but I found it all (actual) funny and that made the whole thing even more marvelous. I haven't really watched the cartoons and stuff so I don't really know who was supposed to be what, so I just blissfully sat there thinking "god that's ace". Plus I like Jon Voight and the main girl was hotter than the sun.

Ace/10.

I'm so pleased about this good spell of films out just now, it's almost made me overcome the "Spiderman 3" and "Vacany" incidents.

Guest Steven Dedalus
If I'm reading the posts here correctly, some folks are shiteing themselves over the "authentcity" of the movie version of a 20-odd year old childrens cartoon?

It's important stuff!!!

Only kidding. Sure, the toys changed a million times anyway. There was about 10000000 different versions of Optimus Prime and Megatron.

The film is actually amazing, by the way. It's rare for a film that is technically aimed and younger viewers to totally blow the mind of a 26 year old. (And his 23 year old female friend.)

It's important stuff!!!

Only kidding. Sure, the toys changed a million times anyway. There was about 10000000 different versions of Optimus Prime and Megatron.

The film is actually amazing, by the way. It's rare for a film that is technically aimed and younger viewers to totally blow the mind of a 26 year old. (And his 23 year old female friend.)

Oh, I'll probably get dragged along to it by my daughter (9). I'm sure it'll be a no-brainer, but I doubt it'll have a profound an impact on my life!

Still, it's the summer blockbuster season, when plot, dialogue and logic go right out the window - like Die Hard 4.0, which we went to see last night. Ludicrous plot, speak-your-weight-machine acting, unbelievable stunts, more innocents killed than in two world wars....and more fun than I've had at the cinema in ages!

Yippee-kye-ay :up:

Just came back fromt he advanced screening and have to say amazing. I never really got to see transformers too much when I was younger but anyone that criticises it for not being like the cartoon really needs to get their head into gear because it's awesome.

The whole 2 hours(approx.) I was in awe if not from all the effects wizadry that the film produces but for some of the brilliant cliched lines.

Obviously it's not going to be the winning oscars for it's plot but it's definately broke some ground where animation and effects is concerned.

The speed at which the robots were transforming was unreal especially in battle.

That's all been typed in one big rush of speed but basically it's definately a film to see!

Guest Steven Dedalus
I headed down to the 12:01 Vue showing (packed with familar faces). I'm still not ready to give my full view of the film... I haven't quite digested it yet. I'm going to use the word, "good" and not, "amazing".

I'll come back for a ramble.

If you use the word 'good' instead of 'amazing', then you are WRONG!!!!!

And Megatron will destroy you.

Guest Steven Dedalus
Megatron had god awful pointy teeth (which can fuck off... they shouldn't have teeth. They're robots!).

On another note... What was with Starscream being tough? He should be a coward (feels rant building up).

Did anyone else find Optimus Prime's lips really creepy?

Those lips were made for kissing....

Ok, so Megatron was a bit mehhh.....but everything else was cool. And Starscream is amazing in the film, espeically the bit where he attacks all the planes and just starts jumping about, breaking their wings off and Transforming faster than the human mind can comprehend.

(note to readers: I may have gotten carried away a bit at the end there.)

Guest Steven Dedalus
I Id love to see some Cybertonian live action!!!

Yer darn tootin! That would be amazing.

List of Transformers I want to see in the sequel (of which there will inevitably be one)

Soundwave

Shockwave

Actually, that's about it.

Not the Dinobots. I thought they were rubbish, to be honest.