aberdeen-music

Fugazi

Shaki

Let's talk about D.C.'s finest. I go through Fugazi phases where I'm quite obsessed for a month or two and then not so much for a while. Currently in my first Fugazi phase for a good few months and thoroughly enjoying In on the Kill Taker and taking in the low down groove of "Sweet and Low". I believe "Arpeggiator" to be the best instrumental ever recorded though.

What are your favourite albums and songs Fugazi Fans?

Who Was at the Lemon Tree Gig?

Who's enjoyed Joe Lally's solo album?

Who clicked on this thread because they wanted to discuss Marillion's 1984 release Fugazi?

I'm listening to "In On The Kill Taker" right now as it happens. It's probably my favourite Fugazi album but I find I swither between it and "Steady Diet Of Nothing" quite a lot. I'm also quite partial to a touch of "The Argument" when the mood takes me. You can't really go wrong with Fugazi though. I was at the Lemon Tree gig. What a mighty show it was. Life affirming stuff all round. I remember getting particularly moist during "Great Cop" and "Waiting Room".

Haven't heard Joe Lally's record but I've been informed it's rather good.

Guest bluesxman

For many years I was aware of them but never heard them and never really had any reason to. When' The Argument' came out it was ridiculously cheap in One Up and I decided to give it a try. I thought it was great and ended up collecting all their stuff, courtesy of some chap on here who was selling loads of CD's, got them all at a fiver each, score. Of course this meant that I only discovered them after they had played in Aberdeen which is rather distressing....I don't find any of their albums bad but I tend to listen to '13 Songs', 'Repeater' and 'The Argument' most often. I got the 'Instrument' DVD in One Up a while back for a tenner, I recommend it highly if you can find it, it's pretty expensive on Amazon most of the time for some reason.

Guest Steven Dedalus
aye the evens did edinburgh recently in a tiny venue

I had the pleasure of seeing the Evens in Belfast about this time last year. It was rockin, and the legendary "all ages policy" was in force as there was a four year old child right at the front. During the performance, Mr Ian mackaye said something about "Fucking meaning it" or something, and the little kid shouted out, "You shouldn't swear!" So after that, Ian didn't say any bad words.

I got my picture taken with him afterwards. If Hugh from Fartta, sorry, Kartta is reading this, do you still have that picture, cos I've never seen it!

By the way, "Red medicine" is my fave Fugazi album. It's rockin.

• Upvote 1

Guest Steven Dedalus

I suppose it's an obvious choice, but "Blueprint" is probably my favourite song by them.

I'm also quite partial to "Break" off End Hits.

But here's the question:

Do you prefer Ian singing, or Guy singing (that also extends to the songs they write).?

personally, I prefer Guy. Although Ian's morals are very sound.

yeah, I was there, and it was a special day for aberdeen, that's for sure.

I have to say I think my fave lp is red medicine too, but, it's like trying to decide what your favourite icecream is - they are all good!

I was lucky enough to be sent "Pancake Mountain" by Poe in the US, it's a kids programme (like sesame street), but made by "alternative / indi" producers, so you end up having henry rollins talking to a sheep sock puppet (Interview by Rufus Leaking, Pancake Mountain), the evens singing songs about vowels and the like.

Arcade fire appear on one eppisode, playing tunes, having 4 year olds running around banging drums etc. Its fantastic, if you can, get a copy (Poppy, my daughter will be forced to watch this, when Kids tv ends up being nothing but disney and moronic shite...close?)

Welcome to Pancake Mountain!

(evens : The Evens performs "Vowel Movement" at Pancake Mountain )

whitestripes, bright eyes, the go team, the misfits....the list is endless!

I had the pleasure of seeing the Evens in Belfast about this time last year. It was rockin, and the legendary "all ages policy" was in force as there was a four year old child right at the front. During the performance, Mr Ian mackaye said something about "Fucking meaning it" or something, and the little kid shouted out, "You shouldn't swear!" So after that, Ian didn't say any bad words.

I got my picture taken with him afterwards. If Hugh from Fartta, sorry, Kartta is reading this, do you still have that picture, cos I've never seen it!

By the way, "Red medicine" is my fave Fugazi album. It's rockin.

i've seen the pictures, he wore hugh's friends hat if i remember correctly.

Guest Steven Dedalus
i've seen the pictures, he wore hugh's friends hat if i remember correctly.

Better than that, it was Party Marty's hat! Get on at him to send me that picture or put it up here or something. I wanna see it.

Let's talk about D.C.'s finest. I go through Fugazi phases where I'm quite obsessed for a month or two and then not so much for a while. Currently in my first Fugazi phase for a good few months and thoroughly enjoying In on the Kill Taker and taking in the low down groove of "Sweet and Low". I believe "Arpeggiator" to be the best instrumental ever recorded though.

What are your favourite albums and songs Fugazi Fans?

Who Was at the Lemon Tree Gig?

Who's enjoyed Joe Lally's solo album?

Who clicked on this thread because they wanted to discuss Marillion's 1984 release Fugazi?

I'm like that as well. Months go by without a nod in Fugazi's direction and then all of a sudden I crave to listen to something angular. Solution? Fugazi.

My favourite Fugazi album fluctuates between Kill Taker, Red Medicine and Diet.

Favourite Songs Ex-Spectator, Facet Squared,Target and Last Chance For A Slow Dance. Waiting Room goes without saying as does Margin Walker and Glue Man.

The Lemon Tree Gig, as Peep said, was a special day for Aberdeen. I too was there with Jeff (Get Lost), his grandfather and the usual suspects. Them opening with Facet Squared was an indicator that it was going to be a memorable show.

Joe Lally's solo album hasn't been listened to for a while, but at the time I bought it I couldn't get enough. Might just chuck it on tonight while I'm cooking my tea.

Marillion? *cough* I own Incommunicado on 7" single. I quite like it...

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Can't stomach Fugazi myself, think they're terrible. But if anyone's interested, I have their early vinyls gathering dust if you want to help Jake clear some space in his boxroom.....

Joe Lally's solo album hasn't been listened to for a while, but at the time I bought it I couldn't get enough. Might just chuck it on tonight while I'm cooking my tea.

I wasn't too chuffed with it initially, it's very.....minimalist......but have had it back on recently and think it's pretty good. I usually tire about half way through so next time start where I left off. I think he's just as sharp with his lyircs as Ian and Geeee.

I wasn't expecting to ever see something like Vowel Movement . Cool! What's the story with the Evens? 1 album? Any good?

Camie, buy them all! Start with In on the Kill Taker.

I'm partial to their more straight forward driving punk rock songs like KYEO, Smallpox Champion, Public Witness Program, Five Corporations...

as previously discussed, Jeff's Grandad is a legend and that gig was indeed a special moment.

"Hello Aberdeen, we're Fugazi from Washington D.C."

a 17 year old Shaki's jaw hits the floor. I wish time travel existed.

Furniture from the Furniture E.P. is my fave song. The riff is magic and it's got the quiet / loud thing going. I'd recommend that E.P. to all fans of Fugazi who haven't heard it. Repeater for me, album - wise.

I enjoy the call / response vocals from both singers. They work so well together.They wouldn't be the same without either of them!

hey Shaki,

evens have 2 lp's now, they are both fantastic, minimal (drums, guitar & vocals), but so well structured, just fantastic, well worth getting both.

I've listened to some online and think I'll invest in that. Cheers.

Fit's French Toast all about?