aberdeen-music

Global Warming?

You know what i am qualified in and before you start, just because i choose not to do it as a profession doesn't mean i know nothing about it.

I didn't actually, but I have since been told. So I assume you think this example of scientific study is inaccurate or unreliable then?

I'm certainly not having a go (although you always seem to think I am) and I'm no scientist myself so I don't know any better, but it troubles me somewhat that some of these scientific studies may be yielding inaccurate results that we may then be using in turn to prove that human activity is contributing to Global Warming.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't actually, but I have since been told. So I assume you think this example of scientific study is inaccurate or unreliable then?

I'm certainly not having a go (although you always seem to think I am) and I'm no scientist myself so I don't know any better, but it troubles me somewhat that some of these scientific studies may be yielding inaccurate results that we may then be using in turn to prove that human activity is contributing to Global Warming.

I think it has the potential to be very inaccurate. It could be right of course, but Science is never 100% accurate anyway there's always a certain degree of uncertainty in everything that can be measured scientifically. Making sure that you're repeating a test under exactly the same situation/circumstances can be virtually impossible sometimes and even then there is never a guaranteed response at the end of it so you can only ever really go into research looking at an 'expected' result at best.

I guess i could witter on about variables etc but i'm sure i don't need to. You probably apply the same principles to computing as well in that when organizing a system you expect it to behave in a certain manner but i'd imagine there have been numerous occasions when it hasn't.

Anyway you get the idea. I don't believe that 'Global Warming' is happening only on the basis of what we're doing and speeding up as a result. We undoubtedly contribute to things on the planet but to what effect is not very easy to quantify.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't cut Emissions etc but there's a lot of scare mongering associated with these things.

Nobody proved it to me either way. I think the world is warming up but also think it's a natural occurence and we do make at least a small contribution.

What I do know is that if you're a scientist and you want money, you simply type "global warming" somewhere in your funding application and there it is. Also if you're a freedom hating politician, you can cite global warming (or terrorism) and curb the freedoms of your population.

I also know that if you put ice in a glass of water and allow it to melt, the water level in the glass goes down not up.

Less pollution can only be good. Less bullshit about it would be good too. And less people hating eco warriors would be fine too.

Didn't say i did. It's just my opinion. In the case of the articles you posted it was due to the lack of actual fact in them and the whole basis of their 'findings' being on unsubstantiated evidence.

Every one on here seems to think that as long as it's in black and white and findable on the internet it's absolute fact. No one seems to think outside 'the box' anymore, which is the whole point of science and why i did it (and fundamentally why i didn't follow on into a straight career in science and why i want to teach people science- Biology if anyone is interested).

nice. i wish my biology teacher had some bravado and "fuck the system" attitude

• 1 month later...