aberdeen-music

Global Warming?

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | 'Scepticism' over climate claims

What do y'all make of it?

I'm far from a scientist, but I'm a bit sceptical.

Did anyone see AL Gore on the news last night? He got asked about this MORI poll, and the conversation went something liek this -

Interviewer - But didn't you say the sea level will rise by 20ft?

Big Al - No, I said IF the Arctic Circle and Greenland melted, THEN the sea level COULD rise by up top 20ft.

Interviewer - (Bemused expression)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Savant

It'd be nice to think that GW isn't happening, and it seems that no-one can be sure eitherway, but it wouldn't hurt to cut down emissions and use less energy etc. At the very least we'll have less atmospheric pollution to inhale.

It's all nonsense. We undoubtedly have an effect on the environment but we aren't solely responsible for climate change, the planet goes through natural cycles and would regardless of whether we were here or not. Christ there's been ice ages and much more severe droughts before humans were even present on this planet and i very much doubt the dinosaurs had a bigger carbon footprint and generated more waste/emmissons than humans.

I think the seasons are slowly going to flip and we will probably have the warmest parts of the year over the November/December period and the winter months over June/July. It wouldn't be a total hardship, the Aussies cope with that already.

The Earth has a good way of keeping itself balanced anyway.

Guest Savant
...and i very much doubt the dinosaurs had a bigger carbon footprint and generated more waste/emmissons than humans.

Are you serious?! Dinosaurs fart, that's about it. Billions of humans use cars, powerstations, planes etc etc that all emit CO2.

I've often wondered about ice ages etc - the worlds temprature/climate changes constantly, but isn't the worry of global warming due to the fact that it (climate) has changed dramatically since industrial revolutions?

It's obviously a much debated topic when you read one scientific report that claims our carbon emissions are going to be the death of us all, whilst another scientific report claims it's all complete twoddle. But my take on it from everything I've read and watched is that, like Alkaline said the Earth does through natural cycles and climate change WILL happen and there's no amount of cutting down emissions or work that the human race can do about it.

I think the effects of it are already starting to show through the bizarre weather patterns we have been having particularly over the last year or so, this week (where I am) being a good example.

Not to say that cutting down emissions is a pointless exercise, who knows it may slow the process, and it certainly would be a step in the right direction regarding air pollution. The report that I believe (given only what I know) says that our carbon emissions are a negligible fraction of the gases surrounding the earth that are trapping the heat bouncing off the Earth.

I certainly don't agree with the way Airlines, for example, have been targetted so majorly as the main contributors towards carbon emissions. Ban Motorsport for fuck sake.

Guest Savant

But motorsport is partly responsible for new technologies - more efficient engines and the like. Ban the people who drive up and down the beach at high speed.

Christ there's been ice ages and much more severe droughts before humans were even present on this planet and i very much doubt the dinosaurs had a bigger carbon footprint and generated more waste/emmissons than humans.

Something tells me a naturally occurring ice age spanning a number of years inconceivable to you or I is in a different ball-park to the damage done by three or four human generations.

I can see a markedly different human existence emerging in the next thirty years; a significant restriction on things we currently take for granted, or a polluted, over-crowded shit-hole.

But motorsport is partly responsible for new technologies - more efficient engines and the like. Ban the people who drive up and down the beach at high speed.

Surely there is better ways of developing new technologies than having 20+ cars tearing about at 200mph for entire weekends at a time, burning rubber and pushing the engines for performance.

Guest Savant
Surely there is better ways of developing new technologies than having 20+ cars tearing about at 200mph for entire weekends at a time, burning rubber and pushing the engines for performance.

Let me know when you think of one then...

Let me know when you think of one then...

Well for a start, developing technology for cars to drive at that speed is totally pointless, and are only developed FOR Motorsport. What significance are fast lap times and land speed records to the world? Maybe they should be using their fabulous engineering skills to develop efficient technology specifically for road cars. Or is that not exciting enough?

Guest Savant

Motorsport is used to test new technologies - to see what works/what doesn't work & what works best. If things weren't tested before being put into production then the market would be saturated with lots of different systems performing to different levels. I also imagine manufacturing costs would be higher since there would be less of each unit being produced. Take tuning an engine for example, if we didn't learn to tune engines for higher performance (racing) then we'd (average user) still be using much more inefficient engines and consequently we'd be burning alot more fuel. This means more pollution...

I think that all the cars on race-circuits each weekend produce negligable pollution compared to the number of people commuting in the UK every single day.

Are you serious?! Dinosaurs fart, that's about it. Billions of humans use cars, powerstations, planes etc etc that all emit CO2.

That was my point dummy....

If there was still massive climate changes then when there was virtually no outside influence then there is obviously no correlation between the two. Climate change is a natural process regardless of what outside variables increase or decrease around it.

I'm by no means saying that humankind doesn't have an adverse effect on it's environment, just that what's happening is a natural thing not necessarily of our making.

Guest Savant

Ach I misread your original post!

Although I wouldn't say there's no correlation - as I said earlier: isn't the concern over the climate changing faster than usual?

. What significance are fast lap times and land speed records to the world??

They are relevant for those interested in pushing the boundaries of what man and machine is capable of - one which isn't neccessarily restricted to a niche audience. Not to mention fulfilling the competetive spirit and ambition of those who partake in it, and the audiences who procure entertainment from it. Basketball, now what good does that do?!?!! and don't even get me started on Tamagotchis!! If only everyone was as wholesome and globally benefitting as me (as I turn on my cd player - another pointless by-product of humanity no doubt)

Motorsport is used to test new technologies - to see what works/what doesn't work & what works best. If things weren't tested before being put into production then the market would be saturated with lots of different systems performing to different levels. I also imagine manufacturing costs would be higher since there would be less of each unit being produced. Take tuning an engine for example, if we didn't learn to tune engines for higher performance (racing) then we'd (average user) still be using much more inefficient engines and consequently we'd be burning alot more fuel. This means more pollution...

I think that all the cars on race-circuits each weekend produce negligable pollution compared to the number of people commuting in the UK every single day.

Fine, I accept, your point. It just seems so excessive to me.

Can I whine about bus prices and reliability instead?

Hahaha are you serious?

If you think that that is fully supported evidence that climate change is speeding up then it's no wonder that so many people are duped by the eco-nuts.

Christ, those articles are full of scare mongering unsubstantiated twaddle. I, as a scientist by qualification, find it laughable that people are actually allowed to publish shite like that. I might just randomly start submitting my crackpot theories to the BBC as they'd clearly have no problem publishing them.

Oh, and it is the BBC as well. They are world renowned for being the biggest scare mongering bunch of tabloid hack imbeciles in journalism.