aberdeen-music

ANOTHER new My Mind's Weapon song....

Dan G

aye, well, that was the first time i have actually listened to you guys i think! haha I just like joining in with insult throwing.

It's actually nae as terrible as i expected. Solo's are a bit too wanky for my tastes, and riffs are sacrificed for chug chug chug, chug chug chug.....chug chug. too often but aye. Nae bad at all lads.

• 4 weeks later...

Good job. It still does sound a bit too much like 'At Least Your Not Dead' (i think) to me and the vocals still havn't won me over, but it's played faultlessly, and i'm certain the units will shift like you hope them to.

My favourite Weapon song is still the original Cpt. Tom's recording of '...Kokura' though. oooft.

Sounds good dude!

VH-4 coupled with 5150 as usual? Sounds great! :up:

Cheers man.

Originally we had 4 tracks of rhythm guitars: A 6505 played left and right and then doubled with the vh4, but the final mix was just 2 tracks of the Peavey mic'ed with one SM57 (one panned hard left and then the other hard right). All lead and clean guitar overdubs were the VH4.

Next album, when we have more time I'll quadrouple the rhythm guitars, but for this one it sounded pretty fat as stripped down as that. Quite a bit of layering was done on certain sections though, eg the 'solo' bit has 2 rhythm, one lead, and 2 very, very subtle clean guitars, as well as a quiet synth. All adds to the overall ambience!

i like the couple of seconds (bout 1 minute 12 seconds in) where either the guitars sound synthy or MMW have taken on a synth player.

We've always had synth on all our recorded versions of songs, since the days of 'this is revenge!'

I play them on record and they're always quite subtle, but we don't use them live.

Far's the blasts min ?

You heard the Killing Horizon? there's a few blasts in that....

Im expectin more complex time signitures with the new songs , I WANT SOME PROG METAL DAMN IT.

Count your way through Silhouettes, most of it is in 5/4, and 6/4, although it's the bits that are in 4/4 are the most complex... (well, for nick anyway)

Far's the blasts min ?

Some parts a bit Euro Metal (not my thing)

?( Euro metal?!? I don't mind a bit of that stuff, but I really have no idea which bits you mean sound like euro metal! I'm not being defensive at all, I'm just really confused!

Count your way through Silhouettes, most of it is in 5/4, and 6/4, although it's the bits that are in 4/4 are the most complex... (well, for nick anyway)

?( Euro metal?!? I don't mind a bit of that stuff, but I really have no idea which bits you mean sound like euro metal! I'm not being defensive at all, I'm just really confused!

Just little bits now and again like..2 minutes and 6 seconds with the double guitar harmony. Reminds me of Soilwork a bit (gone off them unfortunately). I wasn't meaning Helloween etc hehe:up: Overall its a decent song, certainly drawn to the heavier moments in the middle.

Suppose its that I hear some influences in this song that are really up my street (and probably yours too Dan) there is just a couple of tiny snippets that don't float my boat.

Erm nope can't say i've heard the killing horizon.

I was just taking the piss anyway but hey while we are at it gies some over the top breakdowns.

What was the process for recording the drums ?

Erm nope can't say i've heard the killing horizon.

I was just taking the piss anyway but hey while we are at it gies some over the top breakdowns.

What was the process for recording the drums ?

Download it from itunes for a cool 79p! It's fast, heavy and technical all the way through. :)

We recorded the drums ourselves in a studio in glasgow. Mic'ed up in all the usual ways, nick did it as he is a sound engineer. All original drum sounds and hits were used although they were often doubled with samples, as is the norm these days. (that kick drum is actually three different kick drums - nick's original one, a low heavy one and a punchy high end one, so it covers all the necessary EQ's for a good kick drums sound. Dan and Justin from SikTh did all the mixing and mastering so they are to thank for that stuff.

Not usually my kind of music this, but I think the track is ace. I particularly enjoyed the instrumental section from 1:30 onwards. The vocals aren't really my thing but I can live with 'em, and the production is phenomenal :up:.

Your artwork is pretty hot too, good work!