aberdeen-music

ipod djing

Noir

its not really "djing" as such though is it?

What is DJ'ing though? Most the DJs I know simply play song after song after song like a human jukebox (that's not a dig at anyone in particular by the way).

The sound quality from these kind of devices would be rather suspect, but then would an audience notice anyway? I guess it depends on what you are trying to do. The sound quality wouldn't be any worse than playing MP3 tracks from CD-Rs like some DJ's do.

What is DJ'ing though? Most the DJs I know simply play song after song after song like a human jukebox (that's not a dig at anyone in particular by the way).

The sound quality from these kind of devices would be rather suspect, but then would an audience notice anyway? I guess it depends on what you are trying to do. The sound quality wouldn't be any worse than playing MP3 tracks from CD-Rs like some DJ's do.

I'd imagine you can't cue tunes on it like you can with vinyl, there doesn't appear to be any pitch control so it's probably useless for actual DJ'ing beyond crossfading between the tracks.

DJ'ing definately isn't just playing song after song, certainly if you're talking about people that spin hiphop/techno/trance/drumnbass....and this device isn't going to let anyone get that creative.

Why would anyone pay money for a mixer, two ipods and a computer to transfer the music onto them, not to mention the cost of buying the music itself, whether in digital or physical format, when you can plug in a laptop to the mixer to achieve exactly the same effect? In fact, a laptop could handle much higher bitrates than the ipods and the sound quality would be better.

Personally, I don't think I'll ever switch from using CDs and vinyl. The tactile nature of the form, plus the little rituals of cleaning, cueing up and dropping a song in a live setting is far preferable to being a glorified computer operator. The ipod mixer looks a spiffy piece of kit, but ultimately it's completely pointless.

You don't even need the mixer if you're going to use a laptop, unless you want extra input sources from actual vinyl/cd. I know plenty people who DJ their entire set either using serato/final scratch on traditional tables/mixer with the audio coming off a laptop, and also with just a laptop running ableton and a midi controller which gives you even more scope....

One advantage obviously is that you can buy high quality mp3's off online music stores at short notice and play them out....

jUST shove on a cd and go, i pod = no different.

What about beat matching, pitch shifting, time shift? I can't speak for Psydoll, Maxi, Jimmy Lucifer and Dave but i do all of those and they require a bit of skill. Fair enough, i'm no scratch DJ and i don't consider myself a professional but it certainly isn't just a case of change CD and push 'play' when i'm doing it.

The only problem i have with mp3 is rubbish sound quality.

DJ'ing definately isn't just playing song after song, certainly if you're talking about people that spin hiphop/techno/trance/drumnbass....

I don't think that's what's being talked about. Everyone knows that "serious" electronic music needs to come from vinyl.

And one of my mates got one of those mixing consloles for his Ipod, and he's certainly not an "idiot" who uses it as a "toy." To be honest I think you're a fucking idiot for listening to "trance music", but I wouldn't generalise that abody who does is.

definately

If you're going to post on the forum at least use correct spelling - It's like when you're producing a demo - If you're not doing it properly you're selling yourself short and not giving a fair representation of who you are. Settling for second best. Tsk tsk.

I don't think that's what's being talked about. Everyone knows that "serious" electronic music needs to come from vinyl.

And one of my mates got one of those mixing consloles for his Ipod, and he's certainly not an "idiot" who uses it as a "toy."

It is what's being talked about, the ipod mixer is a barely functioning gimmick, I'd love to hear what your mate does with it other than play like a child.

To be honest I think you're a fucking idiot for listening to "trance music"' date=' but I wouldn't generalise that abody who does is.

If you're going to post on the forum at least use correct spelling - It's like when you're producing a demo - If you're not doing it properly you're selling yourself short and not giving a fair representation of who you are. Settling for second best. Tsk tsk.[/size']

How can you say I'm an idiot for listening trance, but not everyone who listens to trance is an idiot? I suppose such self-defeating arguments are to be expected from a 27 year old that watches wrestling and points out spelling errors on the internet like the worst kind of pedant.

How can you say I'm an idiot for listening trance, but not everyone who listens to trance is an idiot?

It's called respect. Look it up in the dictionary.

I suppose such self-defeating arguments are to be expected from a 27 year old that watches wrestling and points out spelling errors on the internet like the worst kind of pedant.

Worst kind of pedant - I've got a long way to go before I even come into the same ball park as you, junior. If it hadn't been for all your pedantic behaviour beforehand your spelling error would have mattered not a jot. Just putting the boot on the other foot for a change. In any case the saddest thing is you're the one who hates Aberdeen, the music that comes out of Aberdeen and the people of Aberdeen, so why do you spend half your life on this website?

So what if I'm 27 and like wrestling? I don't know a thing about you as you're so shrouded in mystery. Or are you?

In any case, that's the end of the rises out of me, unfortunately. Apologies to the Mods for going off topic. Won't happen again.

What about beat matching, pitch shifting, time shift? I can't speak for Psydoll, Maxi, Jimmy Lucifer and Dave but i do all of those and they require a bit of skill. Fair enough, i'm no scratch DJ and i don't consider myself a professional but it certainly isn't just a case of change CD and push 'play' when i'm doing it.

The only problem i have with mp3 is rubbish sound quality.

aye yeh, fair play. Some DJ's, just push play. The guys youv've mentioned are among the most decent in aberdeen like. Although I dont really know nothing about Djing, and am just saying that as i know them.

Whatever happened to giles walker?

no, it's called posting a load of trash because you're an idiot, and I suggest that before you go getting all pedantic about spelling that you get a dictionary yourself and look up "abody". Hint: it's not in there.

I won't be called by an idiot by anyone. Make that your last and that's the end of it.

Frosty - Apologies again. Hopefully that's the last of it.

I think you're a fucking idiot
I won't be called by an idiot by anyone.

Nice one' date=' now you're a hippocrite too.[/size']

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANYWAY, the Numark ipod mixer is a consumer gadget/toy, it's not suitable for any kind of professional use and is explicitly aimed at the consumer market, end of story.

You don't even need the mixer if you're going to use a laptop, unless you want extra input sources from actual vinyl/cd. I know plenty people who DJ their entire set either using serato/final scratch on traditional tables/mixer with the audio coming off a laptop, and also with just a laptop running ableton and a midi controller which gives you even more scope....

One advantage obviously is that you can buy high quality mp3's off online music stores at short notice and play them out....

Are you referring to Ableton in terms of Djing use or as a supplement to sit alongside?

Anyone know of links to djing software for Mac's?

Are you referring to Ableton in terms of Djing use or as a supplement to sit alongside?

Anyone know of links to djing software for Mac's?

Yeah ableton for dj'ing, as the core of the setup, the timestretching in it is obviously really useful. Having a midi controller with a good number of rotary encoders/faders/buttons etc gives you hands on control over realtime filter/eq/effects and so on, it's pretty entertaining to watch someone who's really into it. There's plenty tutorials floating about the net....

I know nothing about DJ'ing but I can say that the iPod is still a useful device for a "pretend DJ".

For my kids' parties I just make up a playlist (depending on what my son or daughter want to hear), set it to random and plug it in to my PA.

Et voila.

Really useful for folks who need a low tech, quick fix solution.

yeah thats pretty much what i thought, obviously a "professional" dj wouldn't want to use an ipod unless in an emergency.

on another note:

it's a shame that so many threads on here end up completely off topic with really pointless arguements. :down:

Guest Savant
yeah thats pretty much what i thought, obviously a "professional" dj wouldn't want to use an ipod unless in an emergency.

I heard that when the FFAF guys did that tour 'DJing', they just used an iPod... :laughing:

on another note:

it's a shame that so many threads on here end up completely off topic with really pointless arguements. :down:

No they don't... :popcorn: