Address to send any letters of support for the new centre

Dr. Margaret Bochel

Head of Planning and Infrastructure

Aberdeen City Council

St Nicholas House

Broad Street

Aberdeen

AB10 1BW

There have been one or two objections to date, mainly around the removal of trees, which is fair enough to be honest. We take them for granted but when you walk past that gardens and actually look at them they are rather stunning, and massive. That said, they won't last forever and I believe some of them are a smidging sick...

Surely it would cost less, both in terms of cash and aesthetics, for this project to move into Frederick Street, where there are plenty free units that could easily be converted to purpose.

And where no-one would be able to find it.

That's an old gambit by the Council that no-one should be taken in by. When they want to get rid of trees because they're in the way, or cost too much to maintain, they chop them down because they're "diseased". Residents all over Aberdeen who have seen perfectly healthy trees disappear simply because the Council can't be bothered replacing the cracked paving slabs around them will attest to this.

As for not lasting forever, they've outlasted every other Council project over the last hundred years or so, and I'm pretty certain they're good for at least another century or so. Chopping them down would be wanton and needless vandalism and would permanently damage the landscape in the city centre.

Surely it would cost less, both in terms of cash and aesthetics, for this project to move into Frederick Street, where there are plenty free units that could easily be converted to purpose. These plans come at too high a price for what they will achieve, and will benefit only a tiny minority when the Council's main objective should be making Aberdeen a clean, safe and attractive city for all its inhabitants.

It's not the council that are raising these points, I believe. Much independent inspection of the area is ongoing and being reported back. I'm only repeating what I hear through the small Peacock grapevine though. There are, in light of the changes to the city centre "green lung" plans to plant and develop new trees as well as preserve as much of the area as possible. Remember, this is 'not a council led project' and will be the better of it. The council planning department have, in my eyes, gotten very little right in recent history and thank fuck we have an independent thought process going on behind the scenes on this. I will be sad to see 'one or two at most' of the trees going if it comes to it though.

What's happening to the existing aberdeen art's centre, is that building being utilised atall?

It's doing quite well, but it has nothing to do with the Council. They decided to give up maintaining it a few years ago, and tried to flog it off. But a hard core of regulars led by Annie Inglis set up a campaign to take over the lease and won. It is now staffed mostly by volunteers and run on a non-profit trust basis.

This may of course be bollocks, but I think that's what happened...

Isn't it used mostly by youth theatre type groups?

It's a long time since they put on decent gigs......Kevin Ayers, Ivor Cutler, Robin Williamson etc

Seems to be mostly theatre productions, local am-dram groups etc. but they also have meeting rooms which can be booked for various things. Right enough there haven't been any gigs on for a good while - but that's probably because nobody's approached them. They don't seem to arrange stuff themselves, I think they just hire out the place to anyone who wants to use it. May be a good opportunity for a local promoter to put something on?

Yes...they were very good!!! (73, wasn't it???)

i'd need to look out some viynl somewhere about to confirn that date Mr Memory man

how about

Robin Williamson & an African harp player who i'm sure was a very young

Toumani Diabete & this event predated Womad by about 5years