aberdeen-music

New Arts Centre

Chris

The council have given their backing in principal to a new centre for contemporary arts to be built in Aberdeen:

BBC NEWS | Scotland | North East/N Isles | Arts centre backed by councillors

Looks like a good idea, nice to see Peacock are involved so it should be under decent stewardship.

If only the cultural enterprise officer was a member of this site so he could shed more light on it...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The council have given their backing in principal to a new centre for contemporary arts to be built in Aberdeen:

Looks like a good idea, nice to see Peacock are involved so it should be under decent stewardship.

If only the cultural enterprise officer was a member of this site so he could shed more light on it...

what about housing?

Erm......

I have been forced to take a drug that will ensure that I die on passing of relevant undisclosed info.

This is very much and entirely a 'Peacock led' initiative bringing in other partners. It will house various city orgs as said partners under one (3) roof(s) and looks absolutley fantastic. Seriously stunning plans! This has all the hallmarks (been to meetings) of being one of the best things to happen for the city culture in some time.

I'll give the Cultural Enterprise Office Adviser a call in the morning when he ain't sleepy, and boozy, to see what he is saying ;)

Another hairbrained regenerationist scheme typical of the contemporary belief that some expensive flashy building will somehow transform the mindset of the population. This is an appalling waste of public money that will acheive _nothing_

That is utter trash man. It is important to have a focal point for arts and the building should reflect that. Good use of Public money

That is utter trash man. It is important to have a focal point for arts and the building should reflect that. Good use of Public money

Yeah coz like the currently existing publically funded/subsided art gallery, theatre and lemon tree are totally too far away from each other to provide a focus. Pfft.

Another hairbrained regenerationist scheme typical of the contemporary belief that some expensive flashy building will somehow transform the mindset of the population. This is an appalling waste of public money that will acheive _nothing_

Yes shoot down something else before you even know the full details. Christ, are you ever positive about anything? Fuck's sake.

This new centre seems to be about promoting new artists and educating the public, not displaying the final products of artists who have been around for a while. That's the job of the places you've mentioned.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

is the idea of the new centre to replace those venues though? the art gallery is great but it's not exactly huge and if you go there with any regularity you'll see the same guest exhibitions. I'd definately be happy if there was another place for more of that sorta stuff to accompany the existing ones.

It's more than a Contemporary Arts centre. The city's Community Arts and the Arts Education teams are going to be housed in there. So abbidee hold fire before charging in with negativity. Let the facts come out. It is going to be controversial due to the placement but very much needed and there is a lot more to this than the small 'unofficial' press release suggests.

It is likely to kick off though. :up:

It's more than a Contemporary Arts centre. The city's Community Arts and the Arts Education teams are going to be housed in there.

Ah so it's going to be a swanky new office space aswell. I suppose it will come with integrated coffee bar and gift shop too.

Why does the design for the building already apparently exist when no actual information has been given to the public about the role it's going to perform?

Guest DustyDeviada
remember aswell that this is coming from a city council that cut refuse collection to twice a month and then had the nerve to suggest it's tax paying citizens don a high-viz jacket, grab a litter picker and sweep the streets themselves.

Not for the first time, you are talking completely out of your arse.

Neither of those things happen in the city. They are both Aberdeenshire Council initiatives, not Aberdeen City Council.

Ah so it's going to be a swanky new office space aswell. I suppose it will come with integrated coffee bar and gift shop too.

Why does the design for the building already apparently exist when no actual information has been given to the public about the role it's going to perform?

Fuck knows.

That said.

However, this is the fourth (I hear) attempt by Peacock to develop (over several years) a new arts centre and during the last effort a relationship was set up with an Architect with funding to develop plans coming from a source other than the council. I believe it has been pretty much a private venture that the council are now supporting and partnering on.

I don't have or even know the answers but no doubt the PR machine is kicking as we speak and we will get all the insight we need in due course.

This is not a Cooncil run development and they are just 'one' of the funding partners.

Do you honestly think these things happen over night or you can pop into Woolies and buy a 'Just add water packet of Arts Centre'?

Come on, get real. Negotiations and discussions about something like this happening have been going on for years. Peacock have taken the initiative in making it a realilty, hopefully.

*awaits psuedo intellectual retort* :)

Lighten up. This should be good thing for Aberdeen.

To be honest, there's positives and negatives for this plan as far as I can see.

On the good side, it's great that a somewhat private organisation is taking the lead here in promoting such a venture, as it shows that there's the demand for this type of thing in the city. It's also great that they're not relying on a huge amount of council cash - if the loan is at commercial rates too, then there's little to complain about in that respect. The fact that it's bringing together some major players is also a good thing, as it should speed up the lines of communication and mean that things get done faster.

On the bad side, I'm not a huge fan of the plan to give Peacock the site at a nominal rent, nor am I particularly enthralled with the idea of the open space being used for building on. What's the situation with parking at the site, for instance? With the railway line next to the dual carriageway, there's no chance of access from the dual carriageway - so they're going to have to probably put in an access route from beside the Denburn Car Park. That means more traffic in the city centre, when at the minute, we shouldn't be encouraging any further traffic growth at all. I'm also not too happy at the thought of losing a significant part of the Gardens - regardless of how you look at it, the plan essentially calls for taking up a fair bit of open parkland in the city centre that's well used.

Could they not move Denburn Health Centre and build this there? In conjunction with retaining the car park but demolishing the concrete eyesore that is the clinc, it would be a guaranteed winner for everyone.

I suspect at least part of this proposal is to 'clean up' the Gardens - so any development there *must* do something to increase the attractiveness of the site. If it doesn't, then it'll be a travesty.

In an ideal world, I'd like to see them build the area underground, in conjunction with raising the Gardens to street level. That would be a truly revolutionary project and would put Aberdeen on the architectural map. It might cost a fair bit more, but it would provide benefits to everyone, not just people involved in the arts and cultural side of things.

remember aswell that this is coming from a city council that cut refuse collection to twice a month and then had the nerve to suggest it's tax paying citizens don a high-viz jacket, grab a litter picker and sweep the streets themselves.

I get my bins emptied once a week. Maybe the council read your posts on here or something.

I put my bin out every 6-8 weeks, cos I recycle and compost like the good green leftie poof I am.

New buildings instead of old...

perhaps it's because they can be made more ecologically efficient and fit for purpose, instead of short term shoehorning services into "grand old buildings" ?

I think we should start a collection to buy someone a one way ticket to utopia. (or a large dod of H with added clotting agents).

To be honest, there's positives and negatives for this plan as far as I can see.

On the good side, it's great that a somewhat private organisation is taking the lead here in promoting such a venture, as it shows that there's the demand for this type of thing in the city. It's also great that they're not relying on a huge amount of council cash - if the loan is at commercial rates too, then there's little to complain about in that respect. The fact that it's bringing together some major players is also a good thing, as it should speed up the lines of communication and mean that things get done faster.

On the bad side, I'm not a huge fan of the plan to give Peacock the site at a nominal rent, nor am I particularly enthralled with the idea of the open space being used for building on. What's the situation with parking at the site, for instance? With the railway line next to the dual carriageway, there's no chance of access from the dual carriageway - so they're going to have to probably put in an access route from beside the Denburn Car Park. That means more traffic in the city centre, when at the minute, we shouldn't be encouraging any further traffic growth at all. I'm also not too happy at the thought of losing a significant part of the Gardens - regardless of how you look at it, the plan essentially calls for taking up a fair bit of open parkland in the city centre that's well used.

Could they not move Denburn Health Centre and build this there? In conjunction with retaining the car park but demolishing the concrete eyesore that is the clinc, it would be a guaranteed winner for everyone.

I suspect at least part of this proposal is to 'clean up' the Gardens - so any development there *must* do something to increase the attractiveness of the site. If it doesn't, then it'll be a travesty.

In an ideal world, I'd like to see them build the area underground, in conjunction with raising the Gardens to street level. That would be a truly revolutionary project and would put Aberdeen on the architectural map. It might cost a fair bit more, but it would provide benefits to everyone, not just people involved in the arts and cultural side of things.

that's fucking madness! move the health centre to make way for an arts centre?! are you mental?

this is a great plan, peacock aren't the only organisation to make inroads into this kind of plan in recent time but hopefully they'll actually pull it off. anything that makes it easier to find and promote art in aberdeen is a good thing and something we should all support. we can't really slate it until we've seen the full details either.