aberdeen-music

Lady Mercedes Play Aberdeen!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if you think of a half baked Ocean Colour Scene you won't be too far off the mark.

Thanks for expressing your opinion, which your more than entitled too! Just curious as to the last time you seen us play? Ocean Colour Scene, in my opinion, is way off the mark for comparison. This certainly may have been the case about 5 years ago...I'm certainly not going to argue! I feel the band are much heavier now, The Faces, Stones and NY Dolls could be described as our prime influences, to name but a few of course...

We've posted up some new live tracks on myspace, would be great to hear your thoughts...

www.myspace.com/ladymercedesuk

Lady Mercedes <lady-mercedes>

Out of interest, I seem to recall The Deviada's being a cover band? I think I might have caught you guys many moons ago in O'Donoghue's?

Cheers.

Guest DustyDeviada

The Deviadas played a gig with Lady Mercedes at The Malt Mill in June 2003. Star were the headliners.

My main memories are the band being a bunch of arses, ie not bothering to soundcheck and strutting around like they owned the place. Even at that time it was clear that they were aspiring to be the Stones/Faces, but failing miserably in the same way that Ocean Colour Scene did, hence the comparison.

I will say one thing, they certainly left an impression on me in two particular areas. Firstly they had a song that went "F - U - N - K - Y... funky" in a sub-Reef stylee. Secondly their drummer was unquestionably the best I have ever seen playing in Aberdeen, in fact he was better than most professional drummers I have seen. Anyone know what happened to him?

And The Deviadas haven't played for a good few years now, but we weren't a covers band. We ocassionally put a cover in the set, Dylan's "My Back Pages" being the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Guest DustyDeviada

Dunno, I would say a place with no dedicated soundman and the PA on the stage with no opportunity to make adjustments during the gig is EXACTLY the kind of place you should soundcheck.

The Deviadas played a gig with Lady Mercedes at The Malt Mill in June 2003. Star were the headliners.

My main memories are the band being a bunch of arses, ie not bothering to soundcheck and strutting around like they owned the place. Even at that time it was clear that they were aspiring to be the Stones/Faces, but failing miserably in the same way that Ocean Colour Scene did, hence the comparison.

I will say one thing, they certainly left an impression on me in two particular areas. Firstly they had a song that went "F - U - N - K - Y... funky" in a sub-Reef stylee. Secondly their drummer was unquestionably the best I have ever seen playing in Aberdeen, in fact he was better than most professional drummers I have seen. Anyone know what happened to him?

And The Deviadas haven't played for a good few years now, but we weren't a covers band. We ocassionally put a cover in the set, Dylan's "My Back Pages" being the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Ok, cheers for the reply. Fair do's...To brand people "A bunch of arses" - for not bothering to soundcheck and "strutting about like they owned the place" is maybe a bit small minded no? You clearly don't know any of the band personally, so to make such a strong judgement, "in my opinion", is a bit off. Again, thats my opinion, and I'm leaving it there.

Anyway, you don't like the band, based on an experience in 2003. Can't comment, as I wasn't present at the time, but everyone deserves a second chance...and it is 4 years on after all...

Our Drummer is still going strong, and still the backbone of Lady Mercedes, and I totally agree, he is an exceptional talent!

Guest DustyDeviada

Hey, just the impression they gave me, not just the soundchecking thing, just their general attitude. Seemed like the kind of arseholes who would wear Ben Sherman shirts and think they were "ace" because they started singing "Stand Free" at an Ian Brown gig, min.

Is it definitely the same drummer from four years ago? There was a thread on here a while back saying he had gone during one of the line up changes.

Dunno, I would say a place with no dedicated soundman and the PA on the stage with no opportunity to make adjustments during the gig is EXACTLY the kind of place you should soundcheck.

Surely its a case of setting it up with a quick line check, and ask the other acts/people at gig to keep you right and make any other adjustments? If they choose not to soundcheck then its up to them. I personally hate soundchecking.

not having a go or anything btw

Hey, just the impression they gave me, not just the soundchecking thing, just their general attitude. Seemed like the kind of arseholes who would wear Ben Sherman shirts and think they were "ace" because they started singing "Stand Free" at an Ian Brown gig, min.

Is it definitely the same drummer from four years ago? There was a thread on here a while back saying he had gone during one of the line up changes.

Haha, Don't think I've ever seen someone in the band wear a Ben Sherman shirt!! If I Did, I would personally beat them down (and I'm not the violent type!) :up:

I think the original "Mercedes" may have attracted this kind of following simply because they were an Indie band. I really don't think they could get away from it, as they were an Indie band in Aberdeen in the late 90's..speaks for itself really! "Indie" however, is something that Lady Mercedes have, and will continue to avoid like the plague! Despite it becoming "Cool" again!

Yeah sure mate, Phil is definately the drummer you saw back in 2003. The band had a brief split, so that's where the changes took place...All is in order now though, and we're bigger and better than ever!...Not to mention Older and Wiser...!

Cheers

Guest DustyDeviada
Surely its a case of setting it up with a quick line check, and ask the other acts/people at gig to keep you right and make any other adjustments? If they choose not to soundcheck then its up to them. I personally hate soundchecking.

Yeah, just whatever works best for people I suppose. All I know is that we soundchecked, and Star soundchecked, but Lady Mercedes were more interested in boozing, swaggering and bemoaning the end of Britpop. Probably.

Guest DustyDeviada
Yeah sure mate, Phil is definately the drummer you saw back in 2003. The band had a brief split, so that's where the changes took place...All is in order now though, and we're bigger and better than ever!...Not to mention Older and Wiser...!

So do you still play "F U N K Y - FUNKY!" ;)

Liars Dice will be the guests that evening. Those that turn up can decide how 'special' we are. Take any opinions expressed on here regarding Lady Mercedes with more than a pinch of salt. If u like the stones, black crowes, faces etc.. chances are u'll like them.

Guest DustyDeviada

Ah man, I've been wanting to see Liars Dice for ages, Pure Lead were my favourite ever Aberdeen band.

Don't think I can make it on Friday though, and not just saying that because Lady Mercedes are on. ;)

I'd say they would be a fair representation of us 6 months ago. The tracks are only a month old, however.

Oh dear. They're not a great advert imo, I'm afraid. Normally I'd be interested in any band that aspired to be the Faces. But those vids - especially the second one - are just embarrassing.

Don't mean to sound harsh, just my opinion. Sorry.

Oh dear. They're not a great advert imo, I'm afraid. Normally I'd be interested in any band that aspired to be the Faces. But those vids - especially the second one - are just embarrassing.

Don't mean to sound harsh, just my opinion. Sorry.

Hey, everyone's entitled to their opinion. Don't judge us on poor videos though, come to a gig & judge us on that. If you still don't like us, fair enough.:up: