aberdeen-music

Nature in Aberdeen..

Hog

Surely tons of snails would break the branch and fall to the ground to be crushed underfoot when you arrive home from a drunken night out. It's strangely sad but satisfying experience standing on snails accidently.

And it only ever happens after a drunken night out.. Due to impaired vision, or the snails congregating in the paths of drunken people?

haha suicidal snails..awesome.

I live near a nature reserve (if it can be called that..).the gramps..

i see deer all the time. including proper stags, and like deer looking for mates....im only guessing here since the bugger looked and sounded evil and i was walking my very deerlike dog. She chased it away...mustnt have been love..

I have seen a few badgers, foxes, voles etc...

always see magpies, bats and the like.

Occasional rabbits, though the last one i saw had its throat slit from the looks of it...gads.:down:

Anybody read about that guy from Newmachar that got gored up by a Buzzard a couple of days ago whilst jogging. Absolutely fucking terrifying.

yeah man i read about that! lol i loved the interview with him. something like " so how big was it?"

"well i dont really know, it was on my head"

On occasional walk back from work....deer, foxes, woodpeckers etc

Various hawks, hedgehogs, bats, otters etc elsewhere.....once saw an elephant at the beach (true):up:

Noticable shortage of hairy caterpillars nowadays?(

I saw one outside the Drumossie Hotel (Inverness) in Feb last year.

When I was little there used to be lots of hairy caterpillars in Mastrick. Other common wildlife for us....forkytails, grubs, hedgehogs...and of course all the foot & mouth cows they buried at Sheddocksley. What fun we had watching the bodies being pushed into pits by bulldozers:up:

In our house we had mice in the cupboard under the stairs.

I nearly got stung to death by wasps (according to the doctor) when a swarm of the wee nyaffs attacked me. It was sore.:down:

Nowadays the most exciting things in my flat are slaters and woodworm beetles.

Balvack had a stoat invasion recently....ace!!!!

Sue they weren't just wearing wooly jumpers? Did they have hundreds of little hiking boots on?

Dunno, wasn't paying a lot of attention. I was far too busy fending off the fucking hundreds of flies that were following me all the way up the hill.

Apparently there's Peregrine Falcons nesting at St Mark's Cathedral..

Yup. You often see them hunting or sitting in the trees at Union Terrace Gardens. :) Think a pair nests on St Nicholas House as well.

I often watch the Dolphins - Early morning is a good time to see them right in the harbour basin at Pocra Quay/Torry. :)

Red Squirrels are established along the Dee from RGU upwards & deer are all round the fringes.

Deer are all round the fringes of the city.

I saw a fox killing a cat on Riverside Drive one night & occasionally, seals/seal cubs haul-out on the lower stretches of the Dee. A few years back, a Pelican turned-up by the Duthie Park but that was an escapee from a private sanctuary in the IOM.

In the winter, small whales often turn-up off Girdle Ness

One year, I counted 9 different hedgehogs in/coming into my garden & despite now having 5 dogs in close proximity, I still see them fairly often. Daft wee things, my cats are totally bemused by them! :D A Kestrel & a Sparrowhawk also hunted across the area - you could set your watch by the Sparrowhawk, every day for an entire summer.

I also was once called to a unit in Northfield where we removed a pair of Black Widows with a large & about to hatch ball of eggs - They had come-in with some bit of imported equipment & had survived several months in the yard, including a spell of very cold weather before they opened it up & found them.

my old house in bieldside had loads of wildlife around it

- mostly cos it was next to the forest

we had a lot of hedgehogs, deer, rabbits, foxes etc. usual countryside stuff

i always see some big birds of prey hanging out by the road out to westhill..

saw a massive sea bird down at the beach one time..

i think it was broke cos it didnt look like it wanted to fly

not sure what it was exactly.. but it was huuuge

:]

one time... i saved a bunch of baby squirrels that lived in our roof at our house in Reading

we were pulling out some insulation and i found them nesting in there..

the mummy one came.. then ran away

so i took them outside in a box

and she took them up a tree one by one..

it was one of those awwww.. moments

:)

Guest Savant

I saw a fox on the grass behind the bus shelter opposite the morrisons petrol station (just next to mounthooly roundabout) a couple of weeks ago.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Had a close encounter with a crow outside Iceland in Woodside a few weeks ago. Felt a thump on top of my head and looked up to see it flying off. It didn't peck or scratch or anything, guess it just swooped down for a caper.

Had a close encounter with a crow outside Iceland in Woodside a few weeks ago. Felt a thump on top of my head and looked up to see it flying off. It didn't peck or scratch or anything, guess it just swooped down for a caper.

It would of thought that your chest was a nest.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
It would of thought that your chest was a nest.

Possibly, in that case the fucking thing had X-ray vision because I had a T-shirt on. Going topless in Woodside is not an option, irrespective of gender.