aberdeen-music

Nature in Aberdeen..

Hog

Anyone seen cool animals in Aberdeen?

I walk along the river beside Tescos quite often and have seen Red and Grey Squirrels. Last week I saw a Fox (not that kind hehe)

I have also seen deer, rabbits, woodpeckers. Even had a Hedgehog at my doorstep. Anyone seen cool wildlife in Aberdeen?

Last year I saw an Otter on the River Don in Seaton Park. The dolphins are around a lot, especially around the mouth of the Dee/ Girdle Ness. I sometimes see Roe Deer in Seaton Park too.

Aberdeen is probably as good as any British city for birds (and before some wag chimes in, not that kind. In fact definitely not that kind).

Guest Tam o' Shantie

dolphins and porpoises are always nice to see. bats, hedgehogs (my folks' dog caught one the other day, and my old man had to wrestle it out of her mouth with the handle of his knife, at which point it rolled down the hill and was chased by my other dog who yelped in pain after catching up with it and getting a faceful of spikes) and such like are reasonably common. I've seen red squirrels in Bieldside and I saw a fox a couple of years ago round the back of asda at the beach.

When I worked in the Science and Technology Park at Bridge Of Don we used to get deer all around the office.

Apparently there's Peregrine Falcons nesting at St Mark's Cathedral.

Saw a red squirrel on the roof of our outbuildings when I lived on Calsayseat Road. It just sat and stared at me while I did some dishes. Seen plenty of grey squirrels, but they're not special.

Round at my work there is a guy that comes with birds of prey to keep the seagulls from nesting on the buildings. They are stunning to look at.

Could do with that on my street particularly when seagull chicks have hatched. The adults are quite vicious swooping and bombing when protecting their young.

Or maybe resurrect my old black widow catapult and have a cache of ball bearings to hand.

Why are seagulls a protected species? They're a nuisance. A humane cull (not cataplt and ball bearings as shot) is surely in order ?

When I worked in the Science and Technology Park at Bridge Of Don we used to get deer all around the office.

I work there, saw one of the deer(s) yesterday - we have grey squirrell's over here also.

Used to work down riverside drive, saw an otter and a heron in the river there.

EDIT: fwiw my avatar is a close-up of a zebra spider, spotted in my previous house near potterton :)

Guest DustyDeviada
Why are seagulls a protected species?

They're not. But every time the council tries to do something about them they get fluffy animal lovers in the form of "Advocates for Animals" moaning at them.

Could do with that on my street particularly when seagull chicks have hatched. The adults are quite vicious swooping and bombing when protecting their young.

Or maybe resurrect my old black widow catapult and have a cache of ball bearings to hand.

Why are seagulls a protected species? They're a nuisance. A humane cull (not cataplt and ball bearings as shot) is surely in order ?

Apparantly they are rare everywhere else other than Aberdeen. They must all have heart disease from the amount of fried food they eat.

My mate does a bird spotting boat tour from Stonehaven over the summer (been on it and it's actually quite interesting) and he explained why the Herring Gulls are protected. Can't remember the full explination but according to RSPB, they have suffered moderate declines over the past 25 years and over half of their UK breeding population is confined to fewer than ten sites... Doesn't make them any less annoying

Not Aberdeen, but years ago my parents woke up to find a deer standing in our front garden!

That happened in our garden aswell a few years ago, but I was on holiday so I didn't see it.

I ALWAYS see foxes roaming around and quite a few Hedgehogs.

I saw a fox a couple of years ago round the back of asda at the beach.

I saw one aswell about a month ago, probably the same one doing a sly bit of shopping or something.

on the outskirts of town seen plenty of buzzards, they are common as muck these days.

Anybody read about that guy from Newmachar that got gored up by a Buzzard a couple of days ago whilst jogging. Absolutely fucking terrifying.

They were from a circus pitched at Bridge of Don, and got exercised at the beach. They seemed to enjoy themselves fine.

(Made me wary of buying a jumbo sausage supper for a while afterwards though!)

Anybody else got tree-climbing snails (with shells and all) in their area? My flat looks out onto a laburnum tree, and often you can see tons of garden snails way up in the topmost branches.

you can see tons of garden snails way up in the topmost branches.

Surely tons of snails would break the branch and fall to the ground to be crushed underfoot when you arrive home from a drunken night out. It's strangely sad but satisfying experience standing on snails accidently.