aberdeen-music

Limited edition albums / Bonus tracks

I'm sure that I am not the only one who is fed up with the constant release of albums that either come with bonus tracks - i.e. songs that weren't good enough to go on the album - or in several different formats. For instance, The Twilight Sad album and the new Ryan Adams album both have bonus tracks on them, which I feel is rather pointless as they're new albums. The most ridiculous example I have seen recently is that the new Smashing Pumpkins album is coming out in FOUR versions. I for one will be buying the one, and downloading the bonus tracks via the internet. It truely is a sickening example of trying to fleece diehard fans.

when its just a bonus track yeah its irritating but like you said can download the bonus tracks. whats really annoying is when they decide to re-release an album with a bonus dvd like the new stone sour re-release 6 bonus tracks and dvd...im gonna end up gettin it but its really annoying that i have to when im being penalised for buying the album on the day of release

Usually just a sorry attempt at making extra money.

However, there is often Japanese Bonus tracks, released for the Japense version of the CD.

I am told this is becuase CD's are expensive in Japan and to encourage people to buy them, bands who have a specific interest in making it big in Japan, generally add an extra song or two onto the Japense version of the CD.

Guest DustyDeviada

Yup, really crap.

The worst part is, this is obviously done to encourage more people to buy the album, but it's the die hard fans who bought the album as soon as it came out that get stiffed.

Fortunately Mark Knopfler does it the other way round - he releases his albums with bonus DVDs when they are first released to encourage people to buy them right away.

And another thing, I also hate "Best Of" albums with new tracks.

Fortunately Mark Knopfler does it the other way round - he releases his albums with bonus DVDs when they are first released to encourage people to buy them right away.

yeah see i think that would be a good idea purely because it would save people wiating till it was cheap or incase a limited edition version came out and get more sales right away

yeah..thats really bloody annoying

Guest Savant
Yup, really crap.

The worst part is, this is obviously done to encourage more people to buy the album, but it's the die hard fans who bought the album as soon as it came out that get stiffed.

Yep - there's always a 'limited edition' comes out after a few months/once sales have decreased a bit. Well annoying!

Soulseek.

I don't like "Best Of's" at all. I'll decide what songs i think are the best by a particular band, not their record label.

Seriously though, I'm with Grant i fucking detest labels that re-release an album a couple of months after it's initially issued with a few extra tracks and/or DVD. It irks me something rotten :down:

AND...

I really hate iTunes only exclusive releases. I don't want to pay money to Apple at all so why would i buy some crappy mp3's from iTunes when i could easily wait for some other sucker to do it and upload it on a p2p network so i can go and download it. If the bands would release it as an EP i would happily buy it as i see the point in releasing unreleased tracks and covers as EPs. Surely more people would buy them that way too.

AND...

I really hate iTunes only exclusive releases. I don't want to pay money to Apple at all so why would i buy some crappy mp3's from iTunes when i could easily wait for some other sucker to do it and upload it on a p2p network so i can go and download it. If the bands would release it as an EP i would happily buy it as i see the point in releasing unreleased tracks and covers as EPs. Surely more people would buy them that way too.

yeah thats another one that gets me a couple bands i listen to have done this now and like you i have absolutly no desire to give apple any money at all...especially since to actually use it on anything other than itunes/ipod you have to burn it off to a cd the re-rip it onto your computer...its just an unnessecary hassle really

Stop buying cd's, they are pointless.

Blah blah blah.

Anyhoo, I object to bonus tracks for the same reasons as you lot PLUS I hate how they ruin the feel of an "album". 11/12 tracks put together to form a body of work, then spoiled by some half-arsed cover or cutting room rescue-piece to bulk up the package. Yeah, I could just press stop, but I much prefer a great album finishing and the CD player cueing up track 1 again....

Guest Steven Dedalus
Aren't Radiohead doing something similar with their forthcoming album?

Probably likely...

I remember when "Hail To The Thief" came out, and I got all excited cos the packaging looked like a map!

A fucking map....

I wish I could say I was young and impressionable, but I'd have been 25 or something.

On a different note, some reissues/bonus tracks/special editons/etc can be quite good. All the Pavement re-issues were great, as were the Echo and the Bunnymen ones, however, I remember vividly desparing when people like Damien Rice just kept re-releasing their album over and over and over again, with like one note different on the re-release, or he had a different haircut, or maybe he was eating a sandwich on the sleeve, and he wasn't in the original album.

Hateful so and so.

When a new version of Alligator by the National came out with bonus tracks, you could download the bonus tracks for free from the Beggars Banquet site by typing in the barcode from your copy of the original album. All bands should do this if they insist on releasing special edition albums.