aberdeen-music

stolen cymbals wanted

Biz

Guest DustyDeviada
I think this is why I use my epi sg now. I've got pretty good pups fitted to it so it sounds good enough. In fact I've been of the opinion lately, that it really doesn't matter that much how good your guitar is - within reason that is - in a band situation. Because once you have drums, bass etc etc blasting out much of the expensive guitar sound qualities are basically lost in the mix. Sure, you will hear the difference between a mega cheap, weak sounding copy guitar and a Gibson Les Paul on full chat. But for the most part, middle quality guitars are fine for gigging with.

Yes and no. There was one song that we used to do with Baby Karma where at the end of a solo I would hold a single note for quite a while. I tried using loads of other guitars, but the only one that would hold the note for long enough was the Les Paul with humbuckers. Even my Les Paul with P90s wouldn't do it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always play my Hanneman live now and put it in my car when I'm not on stage.

o_O

About the only place I've heard of more instruments being stolen from rather than the venue itself, is the bands van/car parked outside.

BTW those with expensive instruments, do you insure them through the musicians union?

Guest DustyDeviada
BTW those with expensive instruments, do you insure them through the musicians union?

I have my instruments covered at home under my house insurance. But no, if I am out gigging they are not insured. Wrong maybe, but it's expensive to insure so I prefer just to save the money and keep them within sight at all times.

PS HateEvent, what's your car registration again, and when are you next playing a gig?

I have my instruments covered at home under my house insurance.

Would your home insurance pay out if left unattended in a van or car? I think the MU's does (not that I've bothered, maybe once I'm in a gigging band again though) which is the main benefit.

Guest DustyDeviada
Would your home insurance pay out if left unattended in a van or car? I think the MU's does (not that I've bothered, maybe once I'm in a gigging band again though) which is the main benefit.

Doubt it. To be honest I have left instruments in the boot, my biggest concern is people seeing me put stuff in there, best avoided if possible.

what about having a stolen/missing/found equipment section of the site....

I'm not sure this happens enough to warrant a special forum, the musicans forum or the trading post do the job nicely just now I think. But as usual with these things if there is demand for it then it can be looked at.

The MU (sorry to keep harping on about them) have a stolen equipment pinboard on their website:

http://www.musiciansunion.org.uk/site/cms/contentBulletinBoardView.asp?id=1

To be fair, I've never heard of anything going missing in this way so I've no real reason to distrust another band.

Apart from the fifth post on this thread.

To be fair, mistakes do happen, band members have a few drinks and think the cymbal/snare/guitar case belongs to someone in their band and don't check with them.

One thing to do to counter this is to put a bit of gaffer tape on the case with your/your band name on it, pretty hard for anyone to walk away with your gear BY MISTAKE if you do that. Although that won't stop the outright thieving bastards every little helps.

Yes and no. There was one song that we used to do with Baby Karma where at the end of a solo I would hold a single note for quite a while. I tried using loads of other guitars, but the only one that would hold the note for long enough was the Les Paul with humbuckers. Even my Les Paul with P90s wouldn't do it.

I know where you're coming from. But could that not be in your head some what? Was it one particular LP c/w buckers, or would any LP with buckers have done it? Could you not have played the Baby Karma gig with only one, cheaper model of guitar, and added a bit more gain to your solo to try and sustain that last note.

I'm just interested on what you think. As being the proud owner - like your good self - of several tasty pieces of gear, I think sometimes that it's overkill in a general band situation. Even more so now that we have two guitarists in the bad. The band sound is fuller now of course, and better for it in the most part. But I'm sure I could play a fairly cheap guitar through a fairly cheap amp, and still get the song across as if I was playing my LP/AC30 pairing.

Guest DustyDeviada
Apart from the fifth post on this thread.

That post referred to something going missing at Drummonds, I was talking about The Moorings.

I know where you're coming from. But could that not be in your head some what? Was it one particular LP c/w buckers, or would any LP with buckers have done it? Could you not have played the Baby Karma gig with only one, cheaper model of guitar, and added a bit more gain to your solo to try and sustain that last note.

As I say, I tried it with my Strat, my 54 Les Paul and my Gretsch and they would all choke out on that note. I didn't really own a cheaper guitar at that point, I have a Squier 51 now. It may well have worked with an Epiphone Les Paul, I don't know, and I tend to take the view that if you are going to spend money on these nice instruments, you should play them live. I only ever take one out at a time though, unless I need the 12-string as well.

Despite the band being defunct for ages the Baby Karma MySpace is still up, and there is a live recording of the song I was talking about (Sweetest Smile) from The Moorings.

www.myspace.com/babykarmaband

I had the Les Paul that night, so the solo sustained as required. :)

That post referred to something going missing at Drummonds, I was talking about The Moorings.

Fair play, the first part was specific to the Moorings, but when you say "I've no real reason to distrust another band" I think we can safely say you're into generalities.

• 1 year later...

yeah we put a ring of red tape around all of our items of gear so that when we're loading the van we only pick up our stuff. although having said that we generally look after and load out own gear anyway.

i have never had anything stolen, but then again i have never ever left any of my gear unattended (as in out of eye sight that isnt locked away or ON stage) let alone left it somewhere over night. I can't think of something I'd want to do less than leave my gear at a venue.

Even when we didn't have a van i would cram all my drums etc into my tiny car, and band mates would do the same.

The people who have had things stolen, has this predominanlty been when things have been left overnight???

I think the problem is that a lot of people like to have a few wee drinkies before, during and after the gig, so they leave their stuff lying about cos they can't move it by car when they're sozzled and they can't be bothered humphing it around all over town while they're busy getting smashed.

The solution is to get one of the audience members to slug your stuff about for you, keep a close eye on them, get them to carry it home for you and then reward them with a good hard shagging for all their efforts.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
I think the problem is that a lot of people like to have a few wee drinkies before, during and after the gig, so they leave their stuff lying about cos they can't move it by car when they're sozzled and they can't be bothered humphing it around all over town while they're busy getting smashed.

The solution is to get one of the audience members to slug your stuff about for you, keep a close eye on them, get them to carry it home for you and then reward them with a good hard shagging for all their efforts.

Do the drunk dudes propping up the bar really go for this sort of thing?

Guest treader.

once, after playing a show in carlisle, we loaded the van and set off for the person's house we stayed at. it was only the day after that i noticed, not that i'd taken the wrong case, but that the drummer from another band had put all his cymbals in my cymbal hard case. literally NO idea how he didnt notice as...my cymbals were already in there as well.

still though, free cymbals.

P.S i hasten to add i made every effort to get in touch with the band and organise posting them back but they dont have a myspace and i didnt have the promoter's number and they were really REALLY god awful smashed cymbals anyways. just to clear that up.

P.S i hasten to add i made every effort to get in touch with the band and organise posting them back but they dont have a myspace and i didnt have the promoter's number and they were really REALLY god awful smashed cymbals anyways. just to clear that up.

Suuuuuuuuuuure.