aberdeen-music

stolen cymbals wanted

Biz

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ot of curiosity, where does everyone leave their stuff before and after a gig in Drummonds?

Anywhere down the back stairs is a free for all. The amount of randoms that wonder up and down there is incredible and it will no doubt be known as a nice little self service musical instrument shop. Highly unlikely anyone on here will be involved, unless by mistake! Tens of thousand of pounds of equipment gone missing from there over the years. I think I'm about the only person II know that hasn't had something nicked from there.

J

Guest Savant
Drummonds is a night mare for that, lost my ride cymbal and snare, found out is was in Ayrshire, stolen by some touring band, got it back with myspace threats, etc

That's pretty lucky! I always take my stuff out the venue after playing there, or leave it behind the PA speakers...

For Sale:

Protection racket bag and cymbals

snare drum

joey jordison sig ahead sticks + Assorted hardware

snare O-ring

Reasonable offers in cash and/or crack/smack accepted.

I jest of course. I've luckily had nothing taken from any venues. It all seems to be drum stuff that goes missing, I guess that's the easiest to lift.

The moral of the story is obvious but surely given that it seems to be a common occurence the venues could take steps to tighten up their security?

Sorry if this sounds less than sympathetic, but if you leave your prized possessions unguarded and in plain view in a city centre pub, what do you expect?

It sucks, it shouldnt happen, but having read countless stories on here about people getting stuff nicked in town, I'd have thought that people would know better.

Sorry if this sounds less than sympathetic, but if you leave your prized possessions unguarded and in plain view in a city centre pub, what do you expect?

It sucks, it shouldnt happen, but having read countless stories on here about people getting stuff nicked in town, I'd have thought that people would know better.

couldnt agree more

The moral of the story is obvious but surely given that it seems to be a common occurence the venues could take steps to tighten up their security?

In a perfect world where this luxury could be afforded a venue maybe. Even the Lemon Tree state that all equipment is used or left at the owners own risk, not that they let you leave anything though

In a perfect world where this luxury could be afforded a venue maybe. Even the Lemon Tree state that all equipment is used or left at the owners own risk, not that they let you leave anything though

I was just talking about Locking some doors, giving the people who need access a set of keys and making sure there are no strange people snooping around (difficult to monitor in most venues I suppose!). You always leave things at your own risk though.

Guest DustyDeviada

Anytime I've played Drummonds I've always kept my gear with me, but I have sweated a bit over the setup at The Moorings where they insist that you put your gear downstairs.

Anytime I've played Drummonds I've always kept my gear with me, but I have sweated a bit over the setup at The Moorings where they insist that you put your gear downstairs.

Is the moorings not safer to keep your gear? i mean to get down the stairs you actually need to go behind the bar right?

saying that, i too dont like leaving gear around any venue.

Guest DustyDeviada
Is the moorings not safer to keep your gear? i mean to get down the stairs you actually need to go behind the bar right?

Yep, but there could be up to three other bands going in and out with their gear, and often going in and out through the side door. My concern would be equipment going walkies out the side door while you are having a drink in the bar.

Yep, but there could be up to three other bands going in and out with their gear, and often going in and out through the side door. My concern would be equipment going walkies out the side door while you are having a drink in the bar.

Oh yeah the side door, forgot about that. i see your point there.

It's shite when you cant even trust other bands.

Guest DustyDeviada

To be fair, I've never heard of anything going missing in this way so I've no real reason to distrust another band. But when you've saved your pennies and spent over a grand on a guitar you can't help but worry about leaving it in a situation like that.

Another reason why cheaper guitars are better!

To be fair, I've never heard of anything going missing in this way so I've no real reason to distrust another band. But when you've saved your pennies and spent over a grand on a guitar you can't help but worry about leaving it in a situation like that.

haha very true. i'll admit i did feel more comfortable about leaving my 250 quid bass in venue, way more than i do my lovely warwick.

with all this gear that can go missing its a wonder that more musicans dont insure they're gear.

I was just talking about Locking some doors, giving the people who need access a set of keys and making sure there are no strange people snooping around (difficult to monitor in most venues I suppose!). You always leave things at your own risk though.

Hear ye.

Bands playing in busy bar + Audience looking at stage = perfect opportunity for a tea leaf to toodle down the back stairs and have their way with the self service instrument shop! I would only ever leave my stuff, during the evening, on stage out of sight (in Drummonds)

I think this is why I use my epi sg now. I've got pretty good pups fitted to it so it sounds good enough. In fact I've been of the opinion lately, that it really doesn't matter that much how good your guitar is - within reason that is - in a band situation. Because once you have drums, bass etc etc blasting out much of the expensive guitar sound qualities are basically lost in the mix. Sure, you will hear the difference between a mega cheap, weak sounding copy guitar and a Gibson Les Paul on full chat. But for the most part, middle quality guitars are fine for gigging with.